Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Washington DC Downtown (formerly Renaissance) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Washington DC Downtown (formerly Renaissance) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2023, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The hotel is now officially a Westin. I am in DC and saw the sign being replaced on Tuesday. I got an email on Wednesday, October 4 that the hotel is now the Westin. My reservation number stayed the same and "all elite benefits will be provided accordingly." I cancelled the reservation as I don't need it now anyway - hah.

Note: I walked into the lobby this week and it looked exactly the same as it did when it was the Renaissance. Only difference was the sports bar towards the back looked a bit different.

-RM
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Can a moderator rename this thread? The hotel has been renamed as of 10/4
THE WESTIN WASHINGTON, DC DOWNTOWN
https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...town/overview/
Thanks!
dw likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Checked into this hotel for the first time since the re-flag. Asked for a room with the Peloton bike and was told no problem. But that was quickly followed up by a comment that all the Peloton bikes that are put into the rooms are "missing a part" and will not work. Something to do with the power adapter.

I've also head from another hotel (I'm close friends with the GM) that they had to remove the Peloton bikes from the gym because of a recall. Yet the Westin claims the Peloton bikes in their gym work (I didn't check).

So...don't book a room with the Peloton hoping it will work right now. Save the $.

Finally, a hotel in DC that agreed to give me an 'upgrade' when asked at check-in without issue.

-RM
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Current breakfast benefit is "scrambled eggs on toast" entree or $17 off per person - regardless, coffee and orange juice seem to be included (ex. entree prices were $14 for the breakfast sandwich and $18 for the pancakes (stack of four)) - however, you also get a $30 daily food and beverage credit from the $30 destination fee, which per discussion at check-in, seems like it should also apply to breakfast. We'll see at check-out, but I got two entrees and both were tasty. You order at the counter and then they bring food and beverages out to your table in the lobby (bustling).
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I had a lot of nerves before staying here based on relatively poor reviews during renovations and when the property was previously a Renaissance. Regardless, my fears were relatively unfounded. This is a solid US hotel that meets brand standards, IMO - here are my impressions:
  • Property appeared mostly sold out online - regardless, had seen an upgrade to Park View King before arrival - upon arrival, the agent told me he had a really good room with two beds, but then after a bunch of phone calls and typing, told me that I should take a 10th floor City View King instead - there werent any actual upgrades online, so no issue there
  • I have never seen a busier hotel lobby - massive convention, but not really any lines at front desk
  • Room is kind of dimly lit but is updated with Westin styling - in contrast to Westin Georgetown, lack of carpeting here makes the room feel a tad cold
  • Bed was great - plush mattress, plush pillows, plush covers
  • Lounger was comfortable
  • Internet TV OS present
  • View of Conrad and parking lot not super inspiring, but thats DC
  • Delivered large cheese plate as welcome gift - some tasty cheeses
  • Offered late checkout - no issue with 3 PM
  • Housekeeping refresh performed proactively
  • As mentioned a post above, breakfast is scrambled eggs on toast entree + free coffee and juice or $17 off entree + free coffee and juice - the destination fee also has a $30 F&B daily credit that I ended up underutilizing as the restaurant staff wiped my breakfast check by ringing me up for 2 (I ordered two entrees - $14 breakfast sandwich and $18 pancakes - each morning) - but destination fee credit did wipe the tips each morning - I thought the food was quite tasty and good quality
  • Potential issue with mosquitos in my room or outside - ended up with disparate single bites on random sides of my body (it wasnt other types of pests based on bite pattern) - I think I shouldnt have left the cheese plate out - not necessarily blaming the hotel as I never caught one but felt like I kept seeing something fly out of the corner of my eye
  • No smell issue as reported upthread - room smelled fine

I wouldnt have an issue returning.

Photos:

Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:24 pm

Nice view of the Conrad! LOL.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 11:47 pm

Mosquitoes in DC this time of year...I wonder if it isn't something else? A bit too early in DC for mosquitoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.