The "50" Factor

Old Dec 9, 20, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
The "50" Factor

With 48 nights for 2020 and status extended, is there any benefit racking up 2 more nights before year end?
Old Dec 9, 20, 2:58 am

Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
With 48 nights for 2020 and status extended, is there any benefit racking up 2 more nights before year end?
Only if you want the SNAs or 5 EQN toward lifetime.
SPN Lifer and krazykanuck like this.
Old Dec 9, 20, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Appreciate the insight. 2 cheap nights at the Fairfield Inn it is!
Old Dec 9, 20, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Who knows what Marriott will do in 2021 and if it depends on you having a full 50/75 nights in 2020. Better be safe than sorry.
Old Dec 9, 20, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
Who knows what Marriott will do in 2021 and if it depends on you having a full 50/75 nights in 2020. Better be safe than sorry.
+1.

And you are guaranteed to have another Platinum year for lifetime purposes, in case Marriott decides that comped status holders haven't "earned" one.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
A masterstroke of a promotion by Marriott, the amount of threads/people asking this exact question on social is very prevalent.

They have a ton of people mattress running this month I reckon, expect Q4 numbers to beat expectations!
Old Dec 9, 20, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post
A masterstroke of a promotion by Marriott, the amount of threads/people asking this exact question on social is very prevalent.
I feel like that's more to do with people feeling like it's a bit odd. I certainly do personally, unless you're out for SNA's/lifetime nights. I somewhat doubt Marriott will include qualification in 2020 towards anything for 2021 or beyond, if that were going to happen they would have announced it back when they gave out all the free nights. I'd guess for 2021 if things don't pick back up early, there will be another round of stimulus nights.
Old Dec 9, 20, 6:15 pm

They have a ton of people mattress running this month I reckon, expect Q4 numbers to beat expectations!
Doubtful. I think your far overestimating the importance of elite-level frequent guests to individual hotels. Additionally, any "mattress runs" that happen at the end of the year would already be factored into the revenue management algorithms of the software that is used to create projections.

Granted, the pandemic is likely wreaking havoc on the revenue management software. But, I doubt that the patterns this year are all that different from a "normal" year.
Old Dec 9, 20, 8:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

Paging P.T. Barnum.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
And you are guaranteed to have another Platinum year for lifetime purposes
To paraphrase the above two responses: no, there's no value!

Last edited by Herb687; Dec 9, 20 at 8:15 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Dec 9, 20, 10:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat

Unless they expected this, which I would expectthey would have !
Old Dec 10, 20, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Drop in the bucket. I highly doubt that "a ton of people" are doing any substantial, status relation travel action this year. At the same time Marriott really does turn away a lot of members who do travel in normal patterns by not running a promotion in NOV/DEC 2020.
Old Dec 10, 20, 3:06 am

With it for the 5 SNA’s, if you can find somewhere easy and cheap for the adt. 2 nights
Old Dec 10, 20, 4:50 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
Drop in the bucket. I highly doubt that "a ton of people" are doing any substantial, status relation travel action this year. At the same time Marriott really does turn away a lot of members who do travel in normal patterns by not running a promotion in NOV/DEC 2020.
Totally agree. I did 11 stays during the last promotion (all staycations) but since the promotion ended Iíve only done 1 I think. 3 nights to go to get to 50 - Iíll do them in the last week of December but thatís all Iím up for. A promotion (eg double nights) would have encouraged me to consider going for Tit but itís too late for that now.
Old Dec 10, 20, 5:14 am

Similar position for 2020. Currently Tit at 68 and trying to decide if 75 is worth it. I can pick up rooms near ORD for $64 a night, and had the RC Chicago not closed down until March 2021, family would have enjoying the weekends in the city to make up the difference instead.

First world problems...
Old Dec 10, 20, 6:29 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I am Lifetime Titanium and have 68 nights. Decided a couple of months ago I wouldn't hit 75 nights this year, the threshold to get a FNA (Free Night Award). So my last two stays (both 1 night) were at a Holiday Inn Express since it was in a more convenient location and a lower point cost to boot. At the time I wondered if I had made the right decision. Now with the end of the year in sight, I know I did make the correct decision. No way I would have gone beyond 70 nights this year.

Full disclosure, even if Marriott had run some mega promo, it is very unlikely I would have stayed more nights this year. So while the lack of meaningful promotions is still frustrating, it is mainly an academic exercise for me. For others who are still travelling, I can easily see how it has translated into lost business for Marriott. Hopefully by mid next year, the world will be well on the way back to normal and normal travel can resume safely. YMMV....

--Jon

Search this Thread
Search Engine: