Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Maximize Stays to Titanium this year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott

I was just looking, I have 55 stays and I could easily switch 11 stays to Marriott putting me within 9 stays of Titanium Elite status. Would it be worth while to make some extra stays to get titanium status or just stick to Platinum and utilize the best value rates per room night for the stays?

Second question about Bonvoy. They only appear to count nights whereas Hilton counts nights at one value and stays at another value. I do not see anything relating to stay requirements at Marriott. If that is truly the case, I could just checkin to one hotel location and stay for the week and get the full value from it.

Third and final. What happened to the conference benefit to get 10 stays? Is it still around? I know at one time, I could book a conference for about $800 and get 10 nights multiple times. But I remember reading somewhere that the benefit had been gutted.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
In reverse order:

Booking just a meeting room no longer gets 10 nights.

Marriott does not care about the number of stays, just the number of nights. Seven nights in different hotels each night counts the same as 7 consecutive nights in the same hotel.

As to whether it would be worth stretching to earn Titanium for next year, that mostly depends on how much additional benefit you would get from your hotel stays in 2021, weighed against the cost (including losing whatever promos are available to you this year at other chains).

One possible option for you, if you haven't chosen your 50-night benefit yet, is to choose to add 5 elite nights to your count this year. That would leave you with only 4 more nights to manufacture; once you reach 75 nights you would then be able to choose a free night award (up to 40000 points) as your 75-night benefit.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:40 am

At this point there's really no difference between any of the elite tiers and who knows when that's coming back. A lot of effort on your part for an unknown benefit.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:47 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Eleven paid nights in a hotel seems like a lot to only get the possibility of one night back in points (or additional upgrades).

I probably wouldn't make the effort since the elite levels are pretty diluted these days, then add on pandemic "suspensions of elite guarantees" and you have even less of a reason. You may see this differently.
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Once travel starts to re-open there will be plenty of opportunities to re-earn status at an accelerated pace. Almost guaranteed 2x nights in second half of next year if vaccine roll outs go well. No point in locking yourself in now unless you have confirmed nights in Q1 & Q2 next year,.
Zacnlinc, cruisr and VCURamFan like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
For me, the greatest benefit of Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite status is the complimentary United Airlines MileagePlus Premier Silver membership.

If you have plenty of Bonv°y points, perhaps consider redeeming some of them for the cheapest little staycations you can find, to reach 75 nights.

Redemption nights count not only toward annual elite status, but toward lifetime as well: Silver (250), Gold (400), and Platinum (600).

Bonv°y! ​​​
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by BigJC
At this point there's really no difference between any of the elite tiers and who knows when that's coming back. A lot of effort on your part for an unknown benefit.
Precisely.
Kevin Weldon and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I've been tempted to book myself into a cat 1 until I hit LT plat. It would use maybe 1/3rd of my points balance, and also get me to titanium this year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BigJC
Huh? What brings you to this incorrect conclusion?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
If you have plenty of Bonv°y points, perhaps consider redeeming some of them for the cheapest little staycations you can find, to reach 75 nights.

Redemption nights count not only toward annual elite status, but toward lifetime as well: Silver (250), Gold (400), and Platinum (600).

Bonv°y! ​​​
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I've been tempted to book myself into a cat 1 until I hit LT plat. It would use maybe 1/3rd of my points balance, and also get me to titanium this year.
While I am eager to gain Lifetime Platinum Elite — I am currently only about halfway there from my current Lifetime Gold Elite, and this will be my 10th year as a Platinum — I see no need to rush. I am already a new 2020 Titanium.

The grand point-redemption tactic might solve a predicted multi-year absence from Bonv°y properties due to other commitments, pandemic, etc. For me, I will just wait the two or three years it takes me to reach ~ 100 more nights.

On the other hand, to get Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite, go for it!
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Huh? What brings you to this incorrect conclusion?
All tiers is of course wrong. Titanium vs. Platinum has practically no published benefit difference, although a few people may insist that they've received better upgrades as a Tit.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Originally Posted by craigthemif
All tiers is of course wrong. Titanium vs. Platinum has practically no published benefit difference, although a few people may insist that they've received better upgrades as a Tit.

United Silver status would be a significant difference.
I usually only fly united a few times a year.
Scored 1st LAX-ORD with the free silver status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'd say go for it!! It's all about the points earned for me at Titanium. At my "regular" hotels they always give me the upgrade it seems. And just maybe, having Titanium status, Marriott will toss in another perk come 2021 to those that achieved status in 2020 to boost things for 2022.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stallion114
United Silver status would be a significant difference.
I usually only fly united a few times a year.
Scored 1st LAX-ORD with the free silver status.
Yeah... but compare the cost of 10+ unnecessary Marriott nights against simply paying for that 1st class upgrade yourself. A Silver upgrade to First is Powerball lottery territory, as least pre COVID.
anteater and SacTownGuy like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 9:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If you decide it's worth it, depending what cards you already hold, there's also the credit card nights possibility Can you earn 30 elite night credits for Bonvoy from credit cards?
SPN Lifer and DELee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.