Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Two different [overlapping] reservations, points for only one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium

Last month I had two different reservations at the same hotel. Four of the nights over lapped. I only got points for one stay so I submitted a request for missing nights and points. Marriott is telling me I can only earn for one stay. One reservation was for 14 nights and the other was for four nights. Both are under my name. The reply just doesn’t sound correct.

Thank yo for your reply.

A Member can earn Points for up to three rooms and Nights for one room only. This is provided the Member personally occupies one room and pays for all three.

Since the stays overlap, you can only earn Nights for one room. Thus you earned 14 Nights instead of 14 + 4 nights.

this just doesn’t make sense. They are two different reservation numbers. I want points and nights for both reservations. Ugh
Old Sep 11, 2020, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can't get nights for two rooms in the same hotel on the same night. The question is whether technically there's some rule against collecting points for both rooms in this case.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
SPG used to allow points and nights for up to 3 rooms. This went away with the merger in Aug 2018. Now you can earn points for up to 3 rooms, but Elite nights for only 1 room. Sorry but agent was right.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:36 am

Here's the section of the Terms and Conditions pertaining to Nights credit (emphasis mine):

4.2.a. Only nights personally stayed by and individually billed to an Elite Member at Participating Properties are credited toward the Elite Member’s Elite membership achievement and renewal thereof. Pursuant to section 1.4.e. Accounts may be combined to achieve Elite membership.

i. Pursuant to section 2.1.a., one Elite Night Credit will be awarded to the Elite Member room for each Qualifying Night stayed.
Source: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite

Since you physically can't stay in two different rooms simultaneously, you can only get Night credits for one room.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Sep 12, 2020 at 12:37 am Reason: Fixing spacing.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:23 am

i don’t think OP is asking for double Elite qualifying nights for the same calendar night, s/he asking for points to be earned on two rooms at the same hotel on the same night.

I occasionally have relatives stay with me on the same property and at slightly different, but partially overlapping dates. The trick to make sure one gets points (not EQNs) for all expenses incurred in both rooms is to transfer one room’s entire folio into the other room’s and settle both bills with a single invoice and cc transaction.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by lattegirl13
SNIP
A Member can earn Points for up to three rooms and Nights for one room only. This is provided the Member personally occupies one room and pays for all three.

Since the stays overlap, you can only earn Nights for one room. Thus you earned 14 Nights instead of 14 + 4 nights.

SNIP
I want points and nights for both reservations. Ugh
I think the OP wants points and nights for both reservations. They were told (and would have known if they were more familiar with the T&Cs) that they can earn points for up to three rooms but nights for one room only. The OP does not like this answer and has created a thread in a rather unsympathetic Flyertalk forum to moan about it.

Moan over with, we can all move on.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Just a reminder of the FT Rules

"Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post."
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
If you pay for your second room then yes you should get the points for your second reservation, you can email Marriott back citing that you should be able to earn points on qualifying spending. Nights on the other hand, T&C quite clear on this it will be a no
Old Sep 12, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Last month I had two different reservations at the same hotel. Four of the nights over lapped. I only got points for one stay so I submitted a request for missing nights and points. Marriott is telling me I can only earn for one stay. One reservation was for 14 nights and the other was for four nights. Both are under my name. The reply just doesn’t sound correct.

Thank yo for your reply.

this just doesn’t make sense. They are two different reservation numbers. I want points and nights for both reservations. Ugh
The reply is correct. You can only earn credit for 14 nights ... and that IMO makes a lot of sense. You can get the points for the 18 nights. In the future the easiest is to have the shorter stay added to the folio of the longer stay ... that avoids any issues later on.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before saying that the OP should get points for both rooms, I'd want to carefully check whether the separate reservations and different stay dates make a difference. It doesn't sound like both rooms were on the same bill and, in fact, IIRC it's not clear either that the OP paid for both rooms. There could be some "technical" reasons for the OP not to receive points for the second room.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:54 am

Same thing just happened to me. 2 separate reservations, one for 4 nights and one for 3 nights. They had overlapping dates. MR gave me only 3 elite nights. I expected 4 (or 7 if lucky).
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
My goodness. My intention wasn’t to complain. My frustration is that I didn’t get points for both nights. They are two different reservations, two different rooms and two different invoices. I don’t care about the nights.

The Marriott rep said I would receive points for both rooms, but I did not receive them. I was simply looking for FlyerTalk advice or productive opinions.
SPN Lifer and VSLover like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:24 pm

My goodness. My intention wasn’t to complain. My frustration is that I didn’t get points for both nights. They are two different reservations, two different rooms and two different invoices. I don’t care about the nights.

The Marriott rep said I would receive points for both rooms, but I did not receive them. I was simply looking for FlyerTalk advice or productive opinions.
Did you personally pay for both invoices, for example with a credit card in your own name?
writerguyfl and anteater like this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I thought you can earn points for three concurrent rooms in the same hotel-but elite nights for only one room. (Both with the old MR and now with Bonvoy.)
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you personally pay for both invoices, for example with a credit card in your own name?
This is important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.