Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

More Benefits for Ambassadors and Titaniums By Devaluing Platinum Benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Benefits for Ambassadors and Titaniums By Devaluing Platinum Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by X-ON
Ehhh.. maybe try a intellectually stimulating exercise by thinking a little beyond your own situation... some of us actually pay for breakfast for a whole family out of our own pocket
That is a fair point, but surely an upgrade to a suite is then worth more to that family that the breakfast given the space / saving? I suppose I worded it badly, my point wasn't that I don't see any value at all in breakfast, it was more I struggle a bit with people here preferring $50 of free breakfast as a benefit to a suite upgrade worth multiple times that.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Ehhh.. maybe try a intellectually stimulating exercise by thinking a little beyond your own situation... some of us actually pay for breakfast for a whole family out of our own pocket ....or maybe you can expense your personal travel as well, then that is an interesting corporate travel policy
lol! Yep.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
That is a fair point, but surely an upgrade to a suite is then worth more to that family that the breakfast given the space / saving? I suppose I worded it badly, my point wasn't that I don't see any value at all in breakfast, it was more I struggle a bit with people here preferring $50 of free breakfast as a benefit to a suite upgrade worth multiple times that.
There are only so many suites to go around. Furthermore, maybe the hotel wants to sell the suite rather than just give it away for free?
SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by lsquare
There are only so many suites to go around. Furthermore, maybe the hotel wants to sell the suite rather than just give it away for free?
I understand the logistical constraints on offering a suite upgrade for all eligible members at many hotels, but why does this impact whether a loyalty scheme member would prefer a suite upgrade or free breakfast? The fact that not everyone can get a suite all the time is exactly why I posted SNAs should start clearing at a date based on status a few posts ago.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I understand the logistical constraints on offering a suite upgrade for all eligible members at many hotels, but why does this impact whether a loyalty scheme member would prefer a suite upgrade or free breakfast?
But it is the logistical constraints that make suite upgrades less desirable.

If for arguments sake everyone got a suite upgrade when eligible then it will increase its desirability as a benefit. Since this is never going to happen free breakfast seems more desirable as it is guaranteed and has less variability in terms of its value.
SPN Lifer, Happy and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by cruiser9999
Given the downturn in travel PLUS the tact that many companies now realize that there is no need for all that travel as the job still gets done AND by eliminating a good portion of corporate travel the companies save a lot of money, THE MORE LIKELY SCENARIO is that a good number of hotels will close permanently, those that stay open will not have the conferences, meetings etc as well as not sell out and there will be lots of space in the lounges. I don't think Marriott would be giving out all the 50% night benefit if they thought that business would continue as before. As an example I travel more than 100 nights a year (or at least I did until Covid-19). This year I will have less than 20 nights and not many more in the future until Covid either disappears or there is a vaccine. I don't think that I am the exception but rather more the way of the future.
Bingo. My wife's travel of 50-75 nights/year is going to be 20...all pre-COVID. She already WAH full time, so even less reason for travel now. She's Platinum for 8 yrs now, from SPG...

I'd also love to know how many of the Titanium's and Ambassador's here are complaining b/c they achieve status on their own dime or b/c of company travel. Wanting the "little people" to get less just b/c your company puts you in an airplane and hotel for an ungodly number of days/year...no. Tell Marriott you want more (by taking biz elsewhere if need be), don't screw the people who happen to have a better work/life balance!
Happy, 360guy, SEA777GUY and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
The entire hotel experience in Asia for SPG (Marriott) was night and day different from the same branded hotel in the USA - for example, Sheraton Taipei, Taiwan, the lounge has a check-in desk, only authorized guests are permitted in the lounge (additional guests have a very steep entry fee), countless beverages, ample snacks and full meal service for breakfast and dinner, lots of available seats, a clean, well maintained space, proper use of buffet (no hands, no reusing dirty dishes), no children, no noise.

Contrast with Sheraton Garden Grove or the Sheraton LAX, no entry requirements, unauthorized people door crashing behind others who refuse to block them, lounge attendants don't care, no seating, food mess everywhere, children running around like animals, people carting off towers of food to bring to family waiting in their room, dirty hands digging into food bowls, reuse of dirty plates, noisy, chaotic and stressful. In other locations, long after the lounge was closed, I've stumbled on private parties guests seem entitled to use the lounge for until I can get security to throw them out.

The root cause is at the hotel level with a complete lack of policies and procedures, staff who don't give a crap, and guests allowed to run amok like animals. If we want the lounges to be a clean, comfortable, orderly place, there are simple changes that need to occur at the hotel management level, not changes at the loyalty level, aside from excluding members who are not full members due to some airline, credit card or car rental affiliation.

In the US it's our constitutional right to not follow rules. It's like the 33rd amendment or something. Right before not having to wear a mask.
Happy and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kilo
But it is the logistical constraints that make suite upgrades less desirable.

If for arguments sake everyone got a suite upgrade when eligible then it will increase its desirability as a benefit. Since this is never going to happen free breakfast seems more desirable as it is guaranteed and has less variability in terms of its value.
Very eloquent response. I couldn't have said it better than you.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I think to avoid confusion its probably best to clarify that Marriott Gold Status equals Marriott Membership Rewards Gold Status.
Where is the confusion? Marriott Rewards is defunct. Therefore, comparing anything to Marriott Rewards Gold, which no longer exists, doesn't make any sense. Marriott is the company, Bonvoy is the Loyalty Program of which all SPG, Ritz Carlton & Marriott's Loyalty Program Members became a member of.

Prior to Bonvoy, RewardsPlus was a partnership between Marriott Rewards & MileagePlus. UA Elites who attained Premier Gold or higher were "granted" a complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Membership which included lounge access in the Marriott Rewards program.

When Marriott Rewards was rolled into Bonvoy with SPG & Ritz Carlton, UA Premier Gold Members and higher were "granted" a complimentary membership in Bonvoy Gold. The RewardsPlus partnership, now between Marriott Bonvoy and MileagePlus, was a clear "devaluation" for UA Elites. That was likely a conscious business decision between Marriott & UA to not only reduced the number of Bonvoy members that were "granted" lounge access but to also level the disparity of benefits between MileagePlus Premiere Gold+ Elites & Marriott Bonvoy Titanium+ Elites.

James
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I think to avoid confusion its probably best to clarify that Marriott Gold Status equals Marriott Membership Rewards Gold Status.
Actually, the creation of a new, lower level status, with the same name as a former higher level one, is what caused the confusion.

Marriott Rewards Gold Elite required 50-74​​​​​​​ nights. (It is now called Marriott Bonv°y Platinum Elite.)

Marriott Bonv°y Gold Elite requires 25-49 nights. This intermediate status did not exist under ​​​​​​​Marriott Rewards. (It was formerly encompassed by ​​​​​​​Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, at 10-49 nights.)
X-ON, lsquare and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Where is the confusion? Marriott Rewards is defunct. Therefore, comparing anything to Marriott Rewards Gold, which no longer exists, doesn't make any sense. Marriott is the company, Bonvoy is the Loyalty Program of which all SPG, Ritz Carlton & Marriott's Loyalty Program Members became a member of.

Prior to Bonvoy, RewardsPlus was a partnership between Marriott Rewards & MileagePlus. UA Elites who attained Premier Gold or higher were "granted" a complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Membership which included lounge access in the Marriott Rewards program.

When Marriott Rewards was rolled into Bonvoy with SPG & Ritz Carlton, UA Premier Gold Members and higher were "granted" a complimentary membership in Bonvoy Gold. The RewardsPlus partnership, now between Marriott Bonvoy and MileagePlus, was a clear "devaluation" for UA Elites. That was likely a conscious business decision between Marriott & UA to not only reduced the number of Bonvoy members that were "granted" lounge access but to also level the disparity of benefits between MileagePlus Premiere Gold+ Elites & Marriott Bonvoy Titanium+ Elites.

James
Thanks for the clarification, appreciated.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Actually, the creation of a new, lower level status, with the same name as a former higher level one, is what caused the confusion.

Marriott Rewards Gold Elite required 50-74 nights. (It is now called Marriott Bonv°y Platinum Elite.)

Marriott Bonv°y Gold Elite requires 25-49 nights. This intermediate status did not exist under Marriott Rewards. (It was formerly encompassed by ​​​​​​​Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, at 10-49 nights.)
Intentional!?!?I think it is like your favourite cookies or chocolate bars that don't go up in price; they just get smaller & smaller, then they come out with the king size version at a higher price point that are the original product's size. Is being Bonv⁰yed appropriate terminology for this form of Marketing genius? Lets turn Bonv⁰yed into an idomatic expression for everything.... lol

​​​​​​​James
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 20, 2020 at 12:51 pm
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:19 pm

Thanks for the clarification, appreciated.
That is why I highlighted in red that Marriott Rewards Gold is not the same as Marriott Bonvoy Gold. Rewards Gold became Bonvoy Platinum, Rewards Platinum became Bonvoy Titanium & a new officially "recognized" Bonvoy Ambassador Elite status with 100+ EQNs "&" $20K spend requirement was added.

James
Old Jun 20, 2020, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is why I highlighted in red that Marriott Rewards Gold is not the same as Marriott Bonvoy Gold. Rewards Gold became Bonvoy Platinum, Rewards Platinum became Bonvoy Titanium & a new officially "recognized" Bonvoy Ambassador Elite status with 100+ EQNs "&" $20K spend requirement was added.

James
Also for those that reminisce about the good ole SPG times, the bonvoy gold and platinum is following the good ole SPG format (minus the stay qualification part). Previously it was 25 nights for SPG gold and 50 nights for platinum.

Unfortunately the new program has higher levels than what was combined from SPG, and to that, all I can say is, it is what it is at this point 2 years later. All those are staying are staying. All those that are leaving only leave until you need to come back for a quickie to use your (LT) benefits. All the kicking and screaming ones are still secretly staying .
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
Also for those that reminisce about the good ole SPG times, the bonvoy gold and platinum is following the good ole SPG format (minus the stay qualification part). Previously it was 25 nights for SPG gold and 50 nights for platinum.
Let's not forget about the 75+ EQNs being Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier in the pre-merger amalgamation of Marriott Rewards & SPG when Members of both could tranfer their points, book awards and enjoy the benefits, between the two programs. SPG Golds (25) mapped to Rewards Gold (50) with lounge access, SPG Platinum (50) mapped to Rewards Platinum (75) and Rewards Platinum were raised to Platinum Premier (75) to distinguish them from the lower SPG Platinum Tier. SPG Golds received a huge jump getting Lounge access at Marriott on 25 nights SPG. At the time, CC co-branded with SPG which provided SPG Gold Elite Status enjoyed the bump to Rewards Gold and lounge access too. Additionally, the 1:3 ratio SPG points to Rewards points was also very generous. A 1:2.5 ratio would have been a closer pegging based on actual valuations.

And we wonder why Lounge Crowding was an issue at that time? S(ome) P(ossible) G(uesses).

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.