Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

More Benefits for Ambassadors and Titaniums By Devaluing Platinum Benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Benefits for Ambassadors and Titaniums By Devaluing Platinum Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I don't care a whit about upgrades because I use my rooms mainly for sleeping.

For many of us, elite status is primarily about lounge access and free breakfasts.
It's definitely nice to get a suite, but I agree with you on the last two points. IMO, they're the most important or else I would be with another chain.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khabah
Marriott knows this above all else, and it is perhaps for this reason that they don't particularly need to go out of their way to offer a best-in-class loyalty program: their portfolio is brilliant, their footprint is wide-ranging and they can cater to a wide enough audience that could be happy with their usual offerings to offset the "noise around the edges" of a more exacting elite echelon. I've been aching for a chance to shift my loyalty now that I've got LTP more or less in the bag, the only thing that keeps me looking back is Marriott's brand offering. I, like many of you, want a more rewarding loyalty offering, especially as the elite population swells and benefits blur towards the top end.

Non sequitur: looking at, say, Hyatt: footprint aside, there's something about their brands that isn't as instantly enticing as Marriott's stable even though Hyatt's are very good in their own respect. Perhaps their branding and repeated use of 'Hyatt' monotonizes the experience? I'm sure if Marriott pulled a similar stunt - i.e. Four Marriotts, Le Marriott, M Hotels Worldwide, Marriott Portfolio, The Marriott Collection, The Ritz-Marriott, St. Marriott - then perhaps their brand perception wouldn't be as well-rounded.

khabah
With business travel slumping and the global recession, I don't believe a lot of these elites will be travelling in mass any time soon.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Clearly, one of the purposes of establishing a new 25-49 night Marriott Bonv°y Gold Elite status was to remove UA Premier Gold members from the 50-74 night Marriott Bonv°y Platinum Elite ranks entitled to lounge access. You were Bonv°yed!

Yet even 75+ night Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite members only receive lowly UA Premier Silver membership, without Star Alliance Gold lounge access. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

From a consumer perspective, it would be wonderful if UA Platinum got Marriott Platinum, and Marriott Titanium got UA Gold. But the lounges are getting filled up enough with U.S. credit card holders, so apparently they decided to eliminate the reciprocal hotel / airline partnership lounge access.

Yet that is a far cry from reducing lounge access to loyal Marriott Bonv°y Platinum Elite members.

Bonv°y!
That would be awesome indeed. However, Kirby is in charge at UA and he's not likely to do anything that generous.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread has served its purpose, it’s managed to rile a lot of people up and produce a lot of chatter about something that isn’t going to happen. It’s the time honored FT tradition for some to suggest lowering/removing benefits for those one or more levels below the level they have while of course improving benefits at the level they have and above (because they’re the real best customers).

Personally I’ve been able to access the lounge via status for 9 years running now and I’ve never once thought “I wish there were fewer people here”. It’s a hotel, obviously there will be people. I go in, grab a drink and a bite and enjoy. It’s what keeps me loyal to Marriott.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This thread has served its purpose, it’s managed to rile a lot of people up and produce a lot of chatter about something that isn’t going to happen. It’s the time honored FT tradition for some to suggest lowering/removing benefits for those one or more levels below the level they have while of course improving benefits at the level they have and above (because they’re the real best customers).

Personally I’ve been able to access the lounge via status for 9 years running now and I’ve never once thought “I wish there were fewer people here”. It’s a hotel, obviously there will be people. I go in, grab a drink and a bite and enjoy. It’s what keeps me loyal to Marriott.
How un FT of you, this thread must go on forever, its what FT is all about !
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS

You and I have been on FT for a while now. I've lost track how many of these threads I've seen over the years. As for lounge crowding and elite recognition problems, maybe these guys need to fly to Asia. My experience with Marriott in Asia compared to the US is night and day.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
You and I have been on FT for a while now. I've lost track how many of these threads I've seen over the years. As for lounge crowding and elite recognition problems, maybe these guys need to fly to Asia. My experience with Marriott in Asia compared to the US is night and day.
The entire hotel experience in Asia for SPG (Marriott) was night and day different from the same branded hotel in the USA - for example, Sheraton Taipei, Taiwan, the lounge has a check-in desk, only authorized guests are permitted in the lounge (additional guests have a very steep entry fee), countless beverages, ample snacks and full meal service for breakfast and dinner, lots of available seats, a clean, well maintained space, proper use of buffet (no hands, no reusing dirty dishes), no children, no noise.

Contrast with Sheraton Garden Grove or the Sheraton LAX, no entry requirements, unauthorized people door crashing behind others who refuse to block them, lounge attendants don't care, no seating, food mess everywhere, children running around like animals, people carting off towers of food to bring to family waiting in their room, dirty hands digging into food bowls, reuse of dirty plates, noisy, chaotic and stressful. In other locations, long after the lounge was closed, I've stumbled on private parties guests seem entitled to use the lounge for until I can get security to throw them out.

The root cause is at the hotel level with a complete lack of policies and procedures, staff who don't give a crap, and guests allowed to run amok like animals. If we want the lounges to be a clean, comfortable, orderly place, there are simple changes that need to occur at the hotel management level, not changes at the loyalty level, aside from excluding members who are not full members due to some airline, credit card or car rental affiliation.
SPN Lifer, lsquare and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The entire hotel experience in Asia for SPG (Marriott) was night and day different from the same branded hotel in the USA - for example, Sheraton Taipei, Taiwan, the lounge has a check-in desk, only authorized guests are permitted in the lounge (additional guests have a very steep entry fee), countless beverages, ample snacks and full meal service for breakfast and dinner, lots of available seats, a clean, well maintained space, proper use of buffet (no hands, no reusing dirty dishes), no children, no noise.

Contrast with Sheraton Garden Grove or the Sheraton LAX, no entry requirements, unauthorized people door crashing behind others who refuse to block them, lounge attendants don't care, no seating, food mess everywhere, children running around like animals, people carting off towers of food to bring to family waiting in their room, dirty hands digging into food bowls, reuse of dirty plates, noisy, chaotic and stressful. In other locations, long after the lounge was closed, I've stumbled on private parties guests seem entitled to use the lounge for until I can get security to throw them out.

The root cause is at the hotel level with a complete lack of policies and procedures, staff who don't give a crap, and guests allowed to run amok like animals. If we want the lounges to be a clean, comfortable, orderly place, there are simple changes that need to occur at the hotel management level, not changes at the loyalty level, aside from excluding members who are not full members due to some airline, credit card or car rental affiliation.
Absolutely. I couldn't agree with you more. That's been my experience as well. Seems like the Marriott hotels in the US are more like second tier hotels than anything. Even a Courtyard in Hong Kong is better than a lot of higher tier Marriott hotels in the US.
SPN Lifer, bocastephen and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
all true until I got to the part of no children, no noise, as I was pre Covid (and hopefully continued visits post Covid) a frequent guest at this specific property (but now split stay between here and the Courtyard Dtwn and the Marriott). I can tell you this lounge (pre Covid) has been full on most days and nights and crowded on weekends. Kids run around screaming like it’s a day care, and especially on the weekend. (Well documented in property specific thread and TA reviews) Attendants while very professional in all aspects of the job don’t feel the need to patrol them as it “antagonizes” the guest experience per my discussions with them. Management problem, maybe.

anyways, it appears that our opinions differ. if I didn’t include titanium/ambassador in the original post, then the conversation might be a little different on the whole club certificate with full breakfast for plats.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Absolutely. I couldn't agree with you more. That's been my experience as well. Seems like the Marriott hotels in the US are more like second tier hotels than anything. Even a Courtyard in Hong Kong is better than a lot of higher tier Marriott hotels in the US.
Of course, no doubt. But Asian consumers also expect a higher standard than the bulk of American consumers, that’s why Marriott has other brands are able to get away with offering a much lower level of service at domestic properties. The same holds true for airlines, compare CX or SQ or EK on a 2-4 hour flight vs. AA/DL/UA.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Gold, Pualani Gold
Ha, that's true. Courtyards in Asia do have better service and lounges than Marriotts in the States. Also, true for many Marriott/SPG properties throughout Europe where I've enjoyed way more upgrades and lounges that are quieter with better alcohol selection.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
all true until I got to the part of no children, no noise, as I was pre Covid (and hopefully continued visits post Covid) a frequent guest at this specific property (but now split stay between here and the Courtyard Dtwn and the Marriott). I can tell you this lounge (pre Covid) has been full on most days and nights and crowded on weekends. Kids run around screaming like it’s a day care, and especially on the weekend. (Well documented in property specific thread and TA reviews) Attendants while very professional in all aspects of the job don’t feel the need to patrol them as it “antagonizes” the guest experience per my discussions with them. Management problem, maybe.

anyways, it appears that our opinions differ. if I didn’t include titanium/ambassador in the original post, then the conversation might be a little different on the whole club certificate with full breakfast for plats.
With regard to kids, I noticed that western parents tend to let their kids do whatever they want so that's why there tend to be more noise. The lack of discipline can get very annoying. I noticed this less in Asia as Asian parents tend to be more strict and impose discipline; either the easy way or the hard way...
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Of course, no doubt. But Asian consumers also expect a higher standard than the bulk of American consumers, that’s why Marriott has other brands are able to get away with offering a much lower level of service at domestic properties. The same holds true for airlines, compare CX or SQ or EK on a 2-4 hour flight vs. AA/DL/UA.
Absolutely. I remember the first time I went to Courtyard Shatin in Hong Kong. I was blown away at what they served for breakfast. I recommend everyone to check out that thread on FT. I haven't been to a Courtyard in the US that can come close to matching that.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: Some
I don't get the obsession with free breakfast worth $30 on a $350 hotel room. If I'm traveling for work, I just expense breakfast and don't really benefit if it's free with my status anyway. If I'm traveling for personal reasons, at a lot of hotels I'd rather have breakfast not in the hotel unless the hotel has a spectacular Asian-style buffet, so it's at best a 'nice to have' for me.

Ambassador SNAs clear from 7 nights out, Titanium from 5 nights out and Platinum from 3 nights out would be an easy start if it weren't for Marriott's IT systems. Airlines in the US appear to manage this kind of upgrade prioritization almost without issue, I always find it funny how hotel loyalty programmes are like a decade or more behind airline loyalty programmes for whatever reason.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I don't get the obsession with free breakfast worth $30 on a $350 hotel room. If I'm traveling for work, I just expense breakfast and don't really benefit if it's free with my status anyway. If I'm traveling for personal reasons, at a lot of hotels I'd rather have breakfast not in the hotel unless the hotel has a spectacular Asian-style buffet, so it's at best a 'nice to have' for me.

Ambassador SNAs clear from 7 nights out, Titanium from 5 nights out and Platinum from 3 nights out would be an easy start if it weren't for Marriott's IT systems. Airlines in the US appear to manage this kind of upgrade prioritization almost without issue, I always find it funny how hotel loyalty programmes are like a decade or more behind airline loyalty programmes for whatever reason.
Ehhh.. maybe try an intellectually stimulating exercise by thinking a little beyond your own situation... some of us actually pay for breakfast for a whole family out of our own pocket ....or maybe you can expense your personal travel as well, then that is an interesting corporate travel policy

Last edited by X-ON; Jun 19, 2020 at 1:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.