Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott closing down Marriott Insiders (MRI) - refugees thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott closing down Marriott Insiders (MRI) - refugees thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I only knew Brightly Bob from his posts on FlyerTalk. I am saddened to hear of his passing. He was a knowledgeable and upbeat influence on Flyertalk. RIP Bob.

--Jon
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Sad news for those that knew Brightly Bob..a great and very active Insider.
Thank you for the update VKer. Indeed very sad news.
Brendan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Shouldn’t BrightlyBob have his own memorial thread. Hidden under a title about Marriott Insiders just seems inappropriate. RIP BrightlyBob.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by stuartpig
Shouldn’t BrightlyBob have his own memorial thread. Hidden under a title about Marriott Insiders just seems inappropriate. RIP BrightlyBob.
There is this thread in Community Buzz for all FTers who have "departed"...

In Memoriam: FlyerTalk Members Who Have Departed
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

As SPN Lifer's post showed, BrightlyBob's passing is noted therein.

David
Old Sep 23, 2020, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stuartpig
Shouldn’t BrightlyBob have his own memorial thread? Hidden under a title about Marriott Insiders just seems inappropriate. RIP BrightlyBob.
Considering his extraordinary commitment to Marriott Insiders, this thread actually seems quite appropriate indeed.

However, if enough Marriott Bonv°y enthusiasts feel otherwise, they could send Private Messages to one of our helpful Moderators, asking that Post # 28 onward be severed from this thread and moved to CommunityBuzz as a new "BrightlyBob Memorial Thread".
​​​​​
My own Private Message Mail Box is almost full, so I tend to refrain from PMs. But do we really want or need a separate memorial thread in CommunityBuzz each time one of us passes on?
Armani likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

Aha, thanks for that.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
But do we really want or need a separate memorial thread in CommunityBuzz each time one of us passes on?
Yes.

Honoring fellow FlyerTalk members is the least we can do.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I guess the Marriott Bonvoy facebook groups have no connection with the former Marriott Insiders.

I ask,because if one looks at one's account, at the bottom left hand corner of the marriott.com account page, one sees |"marriott insiders" listed. That goes to the facebook group "marriott insiders". Are the 2 groups related?

There is also a "marriott community " facebook group for Marriott Bonvoy Elites.
There are also other marriott facebook groups for higher elites - at least one for titanium and ambassador elites, and another one for ambassador elites.

Are they separate or related facebook groups.

Do representatives from marriott ever participate in these groups?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:37 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I guess the Marriott Bonvoy facebook groups have no connection with the former Marriott Insiders.

I ask,because if one looks at one's account, at the bottom left hand corner of the marriott.com account page, one sees |"marriott insiders" listed. That goes to the facebook group "marriott insiders". Are the 2 groups related?

There is also a "marriott community " facebook group for Marriott Bonvoy Elites.
There are also other marriott facebook groups for higher elites - at least one for titanium and ambassador elites, and another one for ambassador elites.

Are they separate or related facebook groups.

Do representatives from marriott ever participate in these groups?
I believe the private "Marriott Bonvoy Insiders" group on Facebook (which is linked to from the Marriott website) is indeed run and administered by Marriott and replaces the old Insiders group. From what I can see Marriott's engagement is usually information sharing (posting announcements about new promos), but sometimes they'll respond to customer comments/questions/complaints.

I'm not a member of any of the other groups, but I *think* they are customer/user-run communities, and don't have an official relation to Marriott.
Brendan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:27 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Well, after 1 year plus being in the "Marriott Bonvoy Insiders" group, I decided to leave. Here's a summary of posts:

1) Complaints. Nothing but complains. Some are legitimate, but most are ridiculous, like "I was not recognized at check-in" or "No free breakfast".

2) Many of the questions are repeated and can be found with a search.

3) Many of the questions can be answered with a phone call to the property.

4) Some are just strange, like someone asking what happens to her husband's points when he has a "life event". That was gold.

The straw that broke my back was a ridiculous post where someone was complaining about a Ritz property not having the "Ritz vibe", and complained about the upgraded suite did not have a water view. I called her out on it, and was promptly called a troll for it. Bygones.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:56 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Well, after 1 year plus being in the "Marriott Bonvoy Insiders" group, I decided to leave. Here's a summary of posts:

1) Complaints. Nothing but complains. Some are legitimate, but most are ridiculous, like "I was not recognized at check-in" or "No free breakfast".

2) Many of the questions are repeated and can be found with a search.

3) Many of the questions can be answered with a phone call to the property.

4) Some are just strange, like someone asking what happens to her husband's points when he has a "life event". That was gold.

The straw that broke my back was a ridiculous post where someone was complaining about a Ritz property not having the "Ritz vibe", and complained about the upgraded suite did not have a water view. I called her out on it, and was promptly called a troll for it. Bygones.
The legendary bhurbin (however his name is spelled) is very active there and will PM anyone with Ambassador status to add them to his group. Idk why he was banned on here but he has some of the best suite upgrade success I’ve seen. Kind of sick lol

Overall, the forum is filled with people unproductively whining about Marriott (but so is FlyerTalk). However, it has more trip reports from a Platinum+ perspective than any other site (including FT). That makes it worthwhile for me.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:31 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by WasKnown
The legendary bhurbin (however his name is spelled) is very active there and will PM anyone with Ambassador status to add them to his group. Idk why he was banned on here but he has some of the best suite upgrade success I’ve seen. Kind of sick lol

Overall, the forum is filled with people unproductively whining about Marriott (but so is FlyerTalk). However, it has more trip reports from a Platinum+ perspective than any other site (including FT). That makes it worthwhile for me.
How do you get invited to the Insiders FB group? Not Ambassador, but am LT Titanium so hopefully I qualify.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by WasKnown

It helps to leverage a private FB group for a relationship with Marriott and Cobalt status.. 😂

I always found FT light years more helpful than the insiders group.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:22 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anteater
It helps to leverage a private FB group for a relationship with Marriott and Cobalt status.. 😂

I always found FT light years more helpful than the insiders group.
Does he have cobalt? Honestly don’t know what the deal is. I think FT is more useful for some things. Both are useful for me. MBI FB has wayyy more users than FlyerTalk so there’s more trip reports and data points as a result.

Originally Posted by bigshooter
How do you get invited to the Insiders FB group? Not Ambassador, but am LT Titanium so hopefully I qualify.
I think he has a web scraper going through the group looking for the word “Ambassador”. If you are an Ambassador, he will mention/reply to you and PM you afterward asking for proof. A screenshot with your name (matching your FB name) is sufficient. I don’t think LTT qualifies.
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.