Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott closing down Marriott Insiders (MRI) - refugees thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

Another disappointing move from Marriott: they are shutting down Marriott Insiders later today. Only 24h notice.

While a couple of members have taken the initiative to hop over to Travellers Point, I'm not convinced it's the place for us due to their restrictions (can't tag members, not allowed to discus promotions, etc.)

Are you willing to take in some of Marriott's true Insiders? In return, you may let some of you join in the fun at the third TIPPLE meet up in Seattle this September.
buschoi, CO-PLAT, qlaval and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta, Alaska, Hilton, United
Hello. Jeez I had to find my flyertalk login info, dont think I've ever posted or even logged in after setting up my account a couple years ago (wmrobins from insiders).
ArizonaTAG likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by YogiB
Hi there,

Another disappointing move from Marriott: they are shutting down Marriott Insiders later today. Only 24h notice.

While a couple of members have taken the initiative to hop over to Travellers Point, I'm not convinced it's the place for us due to their restrictions (can't tag members, not allowed to discus promotions, etc.)

Are you willing to take in some of Marriott's true Insiders? In return, you may let some of you join in the fun at the third TIPPLE meet up in Seattle this September.
What is Insiders?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbrower
What is Insiders?
Marriott had its own discussion forum, called Marriott (Rewards) Insiders.
Have a peak while it's still up: https://insiders.marriott.com/
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Not sure what's more "Marriott" - 1) closing it down with a whole 24 hours notice, or 2) moving to a platform with it's own massive privacy issues (ironic given the recent consumer data leak)
EuropeanPete and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:07 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Billy Robinson
Hello. Jeez I had to find my flyertalk login info, dont think I've ever posted or even logged in after setting up my account a couple years ago (wmrobins from insiders).
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Please feel free to stick around and contribute!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not sure what's more "Marriott" - 1) closing it down with a whole 24 hours notice, or 2) moving to a platform with it's own massive privacy issues (ironic given the recent consumer data leak)
Marriott Insiders is closing down as a forum and will instead take a bulletin board format with Facebook.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
One might assume that there's a cost savings component to the shutdown of Marriott Insiders. If so, how much has Marriott been spending to maintain their own self controlled forum not to mention its original development costs? Must have been sizable.

David
ryw likes this.

Last edited by DELee; Apr 3, 2020 at 3:12 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BonvoyLTT, UAS, SW A-list
Hi there,

Glad you thought of this!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I was vaguely aware of Marriott Insiders but for those who were active there: why would you post/participate/browse on that company-controlled forum and not FT?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Hi Yogi - I’m a long term Flyertalker, indeed I was a regular contributor on Flyertalk several years before I started contributing to Marriott Insiders.

Overall I preferred Insiders because it was more of a community, members knew one another and would discuss more as friends or work colleagues around the kettle, alas FT does have a snarky side. So occasionally did Insiders but it was much rarer. Furthermore, Insiders was better set up to run a blog and quite a few of the regulars had active blogs, A View from the Tower, County Collecting and of course BrightlyBob’s Blab to name but three! Marriotts moderation was very light touch and it even permitted posts that highlighted other hotels schemes, something ironically that would lead to the discussion being switched here!

I enjoy and have continued to enjoy FT, but I’m sad to see the end of Insiders which I felt was a better way to enjoy the social media aspect of hotel program sharing and discussions...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
alas FT does have a snarky side.
Insiders definitely had a lower barrier to entry. FT can be quite intimidating for some.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Insiders definitely had a lower barrier to entry. FT can be quite intimidating for some.
its still intimidating! 🙂
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Hi BrightlyBob, glad to see you made it to this topic too!

I think BBob has touched brilliantly on the essence of why MRI had a certain success in keeping an active community: low moderation and very little interference from HQ, the community managers were able to make a difference in certain customer service issues where dealing with central CS or the property was leading to dead ends, community members were able to sort out questions stemming from promotions or changes in policies in a relatively efficient way, the way they allowed for members to run their individual travel-oriented blogs (or use them for reviewing properties, like I did), etc.

But I have to understand the other side of the coin: they had to run a small team of community managers (not sure if they also controlled other social media, such as FB groups/pages) and the Jive engine (mostly due to having to insert some forks to interact with data from the MARSHA database) was probably a headache to maintain for an IT department that is already scrambling to make their main platform run as smoothly as possible (promotion-registration issues and point-posting headaches, anyone?)

And while, for Marriott, this cut of resources might be logical in a time of cutting costs to survive, for the members this comes in a concentration of disappointing moves from HQ.

As for FT being intimidating from time to time: yesterday there was a member with some reviewer badges that very quickly pulled out the big snarky arsenal. Luckily moderation was pretty swift in pulling it (and my reply to him) down. It's good to see that there is a decent control on keeping a positive spirit here and an open spirit to exchange. And after all: it's impossible that it's worse than Facebook, which is a free unlimited buffet for trolls.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:04 pm

I think BBob has touched brilliantly on the essence of why MRI had a certain success in keeping an active community: low moderation and very little interference from HQ.
Interesting; I had always heard that it was heavily censored and that's why I'd never bothered to join the community.
nexusCFX likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.