Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 19, 20, 2:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This is the consolidated Marriott related Coronavirus Discussion thread. For general travel related Coronvirus discussions/information check out the newly created Coronvirus and Travel forum.

Marriott has released an official statement concerning the Coronavirus: https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ See post #116 (thanks Intl359Widget) in this thread for more details.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 24, 20, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Couldn't find any discussion about that, sorry if I missed.

I achieve Platinum level mainly on leisure stays and credit card bonus nights. As Coronavirus spread rapidly raises fears of global pandemic, chance to retain my Platinum looks slim now. I have cancelled my trips to South Korea for Easter and likely to cancel Thailand trip for the summer. When travelling as family with young kids, health and safety are always my top priority.

Any impact on your travel plan so far?
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Yes. I missed out on 7 nights in Vietnam and 2 nights in Bangkok for a Feb trip that was supposed to route through China.

Luckily, I’m LT Titanium and thanks to another awful promo from Marriott, thinking of switching my remaining stays over to Hyatt anyhow.
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:31 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Had to reroute a trip that was going through Hong Kong. Marriott Skycity Hong Kong allowed me to cancel my non refundable booking without charge (I had to show them evidence that the change in plans was out of my control, in my case the notification of my flight being cancelled).
Old Feb 24, 20, 5:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Marriott aren't getting any of my stays to cancel, but the weekend after next I'm meant to be flying into the middle of the Italian outbreak, so in the process of looking for new weekend plans now.
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:08 am

Programs: SE 100K MM, WS Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DonnyJohn View Post
Couldn't find any discussion about that, sorry if I missed.

I achieve Platinum level mainly on leisure stays and credit card bonus nights. As Coronavirus spread rapidly raises fears of global pandemic, chance to retain my Platinum looks slim now. I have cancelled my trips to South Korea for Easter and likely to cancel Thailand trip for the summer. When travelling as family with young kids, health and safety are always my top priority.

Any impact on your travel plan so far?
nope not at all, been through Thailand and Myannmar and presently at the JW Phu Quoc.
quite enjoying the reduced number of tourists.... I think this is the time to travel not avoid it, other than cruise ships.
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:40 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by scotchmeup View Post
nope not at all, been through Thailand and Myannmar and presently at the JW Phu Quoc.
quite enjoying the reduced number of tourists.... I think this is the time to travel not avoid it, other than cruise ships.

Indeed. Much better rates, much lower occupancy and what we all love the most: Much less travellers! Only win-win!

Last edited by hhoope01; Feb 25, 20 at 1:05 pm Reason: Removed comment concerning a single ethnic group.
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by scotchmeup View Post
I think this is the time to travel not avoid it, other than cruise ships.
On the contrary - this is the best time to book a cruise.
kennycrudup, Twickenham and injian like this.
Old Feb 24, 20, 7:57 am

I haven’t changed my travel plans ( although I might cancel Milan...more out of concern about potentially being quarantined ) but I have changed some behaviour, eg, using public transport less, avoiding crowded malls and queues ( if possible). I’ve always carried alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer, now I use them far more frequently.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
My BIL had a 3 week tour of China canceled was supposed to be this month. My aunt was to teach a class in Shanghai on art appraisal that was canceled-class was next month.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: Many
Cancelled a May trip to Hong Kong (StR), Singapore (RC), Borobodur (Amanjiwo), Komodo Islands (chartered boat), Jakarta (FS) and Kuala Lumpur (MO). I have a ski trip to Switzerland coming up in March, watching the situation in Northern Italy closely. No impact for April. Cancelled a trip to Guangzhou in June (FS). Have not yet cancelled but I am strongly considering cancelling a trip to Japan (Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka) and Hong Kong in early July. Wait and see on that one. Not making any further new bookings for this year until we see how things play out. Planning to spend the rest of July through most of September in Europe but again that's wait and see with the spread. Still on track with currently booked nights to retain Bonvoy Plat and LHW Sterling.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Was going to spend a night in Beijing at the StR before heading to Japan for cherry blossoms.

Will be going straight to Japan now.
Old Feb 24, 20, 8:33 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ View Post
Was going to spend a night in Beijing at the StR before heading to Japan for cherry blossoms.

Will be going straight to Japan now.
might not be any better the way things are going.
Old Feb 24, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I would absolutely keep travelling. Far more people have died from the common flu this year than the Wuhan coronavirus.

The only issue is really if you live in a country where you aren't a citizen, in which case some unforseen restrictions might prevent you from flying home.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Unfortunately we have some cases here in Italy.
I have just come back by train from a holiday in Cannes (FR) but no issues at all.
Old Feb 24, 20, 1:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Qatar Privilege Club Silver
I had a planned trip this Friday for three days to Bologna in Italy, but I will cancel it ...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: