Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This is the consolidated Marriott related Coronavirus Discussion thread. For general travel related Coronvirus discussions/information check out the newly created Coronvirus and Travel forum.

Marriott has released an official statement concerning the Coronavirus: https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ See post #116 (thanks Intl359Widget) in this thread for more details.

Print Wikipost

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just came across something weird. I have an August Lux collection reservation that has a two week cancellation policy. But at the top of the reservation confirmation there is a link to the Marriott COVID cancellation policy which is here https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ so a 24 hour cancellation policy.

Looking on the current Marriott.com website, there is no mention of COVID on the front page. So I rang up Titanium reservations to ask about the discrepancy, and they said there is no longer any COVID cancellation policy. They could not explain the discrepancy I was seeing. Then I called up the hotel directly and they said I could cancel within 24 hour, no problem. Hmmmm.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Just came across something weird. I have an August Lux collection reservation that has a two week cancellation policy. But at the top of the reservation confirmation there is a link to the Marriott COVID cancellation policy which is here https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ so a 24 hour cancellation policy.

Looking on the current Marriott.com website, there is no mention of COVID on the front page. So I rang up Titanium reservations to ask about the discrepancy, and they said there is no longer any COVID cancellation policy. They could not explain the discrepancy I was seeing. Then I called up the hotel directly and they said I could cancel within 24 hour, no problem. Hmmmm.
i would get the 24 hours cancellation from the hotel in an email just in case since it’s a free for all right now, with policies here and policies there and everyone pointing fingers at each other at this point.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stimpy

According to TPG, the Covid cancellation policy has been pulled. I have seen no mention of it on Marriott website.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...nning-in-july/
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
According to TPG, the Covid cancellation policy has been pulled. I have seen no mention of it on Marriott website.
OK, but it is on the Marriott website that I linked in my post. And that website is registered to Marriott.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah, but look at the exclusions, specifically, this one:
Some exclusions may apply. May exclude periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks. Please refer to the property’s Rate Details for applicable terms or exceptions, if any, when booking or changing reservations.
They're basically allowing properties to opt out completely simply by offering rates with more restrictive rules. I'm seeing this all over the place with Marriott properties now.

If 24 hour cancellation is important, suggest booking Hilton or Hyatt.
margarita girl, UA-NYC and volabam like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a bump to say that Marriott updated https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/

They added a line about the new face covering policy. But the COVID cancellation policy is still in place.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:21 am

I'm looking at the W South Beach for New Years. They have a 14 day cancellation policy and crazy deposit amount for points reservations. I know it's peak season, but in light of covid (if you get sick, or there are travel issues for non-us residents) and the surrounding circumstances it seems pretty insensitive. Is such a deposit amount even allowed on points stays? Perhaps I'm wrong and it's allowed, but distasteful for sure.

Holding Your Reservation

• We will need a credit card prepayment to reserve your room. To ensure that you receive this special rate, we will charge your credit card a prepayment of 2804.40 USD when you make your reservation.

Cancelling Your Reservation

• Changes to your reservation are not permitted. Please note that you may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on December 16, 2020.
  • lease note that your prepayment for this special rate is non-refundable after published cancellation date
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I'm looking at the W South Beach for New Years. They have a 14 day cancellation policy and crazy deposit amount for points reservations. I know it's peak season, but in light of covid (if you get sick, or there are travel issues for non-us residents) and the surrounding circumstances it seems pretty insensitive. Is such a deposit amount even allowed on points stays? Perhaps I'm wrong and it's allowed, but distasteful for sure.
It looks like you picked a discounted rate with special terms and conditions or the hotel has marked this period as a special event and can issue special cancelation guidelines. The policy is clearly stated and shows on the rate detail page. It all looks kosher to me. You may not like it but you also do not have to book there.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:44 pm

Marriott International announces COVID-19 testing availability

Maybe this is the best thread to post this.
Marriott International announces COVID-19 testing availability (eturbonews.com)
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:33 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Interesting. Useful if you are considering a convention in the next few months until the vaccine is in widespread use, which I doubt many are considering.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:32 am

Marriott CEO talks to Uber CEO

Marriott's Arne Sorenson in conversation with Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshi

Marriott's Arne Sorenson in conversation with Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshi (hospitalitynet.org)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.