FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1985761-marriott-travel-packages-discontinued-jan-19-2022-a.html)

rny321 Apr 24, 2021 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 33202638)
If you check it now, I'm close to 100% certain that the rate has changed if it is in USA. Of course it is different if this were in India or Brasil or other Covid hotspot.

All Marriott has done is to incentivize people to have speculative bookings. I presently have 8 bookings just for this year and I've used all my points with the maximum 2 point advance bookings. I know for certain that some will be cancelled for various reasons. So many things can change. Marriott may just remove the award availabilities. So Marriott will force folks to use the TP or FNs on some lousy hotels most of us do not or can't go. Or those free nights will expire.

I checked the cash rates before posting and the cheapest rate was a few dollars less per night today than it was when I booked a points reservation. During that same period, a 3-night award stay went from 150K to 210K. The hotel is a Ritz-Carlton in California.

RedSun Apr 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by rny321 (Post 33202655)
I checked the cash rates before posting and the cheapest rate was a few dollars less per night today than it was when I booked a points reservation. During that same period, a 3-night award stay went from 150K to 210K. The hotel is a Ritz-Carlton in California.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Going from offpeak to peak rate over night for the same period.

This is a bad omen that Marriott may not grant another extension beyond 8/1/2021. Some of the reward nights may have been removed since Marriott and hotels want cash, not those lousy points, FN and TPs....

margarita girl Apr 24, 2021 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 33202677)
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Going from offpeak to peak rate over night for the same period.

This is a bad omen that Marriott may not grant another extension beyond 8/1/2021. Some of the reward nights may have been removed since Marriott and hotels want cash, not those lousy points, FN and TPs....

Peak or off peak doesn’t matter with TPs. A cat 4 TP cert can be redeemed at a cat 4 hotel regardless of the number of points being charged. (Same does not apply to FNC, but this is the TP thread.) :)

rny321 Apr 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 33202677)

I understood your point. Since I keep a travel spreadsheet, I knew what the cash rates were at the time of booking, which makes monitoring cash and award rate changes easy.

I have already used almost all of my family's Marriott certificates. So far, I have used one 25K, nine 35K, three 50K and one Cat 4 travel certificate. I would have been willing to spend $350 for the most of the rooms where I used a 35K certificate rooms and $500 for all of the rooms where I uses a 50K certificate.

I paid cash for a several nights at a Ritz-Carlton in Florida because I ran out of 50K awards.

rny321 Apr 24, 2021 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 33202696)
Peak or off peak doesn’t matter with TPs. A cat 4 TP cert can be redeemed at a cat 4 hotel regardless of the number of points being charged. (Same does not apply to FNC, but this is the TP thread.) :)

Since this is the travel package thread, I probably shouldn't have responded to a post about peak rates here. Since there appears to be some commentary about TPs in the FN thread and the reverse, I thought a data point might be useful. In any case, if this is the only inappropriate comment that I make online over the next few days, I will have completed a much better than average week.

tth6133 Apr 24, 2021 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 33202638)
So someone wants us to risk a 7-night TP to days before expiration? The worst we can get is 5,000 Marriott points. We just can't spend 7 nights at neighborhood Courtyard for working from hotel....

There's risk in everything... but the likely scenario is that pandemic will still be around in most parts of world three months from now in July and travel will still be restricted in most of the world.

RedSun Apr 24, 2021 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 33202696)

I know really well that TPs are not affected by the peak vs offpeak. I just illustrate how Marriott manages the "pricing" in general.

Originally Posted by rny321 (Post 33202709)
I understood your point. Since I keep a travel spreadsheet, I knew what the cash rates were at the time of booking, which makes monitoring cash and award rate changes easy.

I have already used almost all of my family's Marriott certificates. So far, I have used nine 35K, three 50K and one Cat 4 travel certificate. Most of these were redeemed at "legitimate" value of at least one cent per point. By legitimate value, I mean that I would have been willing to spend $350 for the 35K rooms and $500 for the 50K rooms.

I paid cash for a several nights at a Ritz-Carlton in Florida because I ran out of 50K awards.

True. And some people would say that folks got a lot of values from those TPs and they have been extended for a couple of years. Those are true too. But we still have face the reality now. Both us travelers and Marriott.

Originally Posted by tth6133 (Post 33202902)
There's risk in everything... but the likely scenario is that pandemic will still be around in most parts of world three months from now in July and travel will still be restricted in most of the world.

Yes, if Marriott would listen. So what "goodwill" Marriott gets if it announce another 4-month extension on 7/15/2021? Marriott likes to play the same game as we are facing now.

I guess we still remember that Marriott suspended the category change (peak too?) in APAC only in March 2020. But when US entered lockdown, Marriott did not do anything, but just changed pricing to offpeak.

pazza2000 Apr 25, 2021 1:21 am

I do agree, they like to play the same game! Any extension will come with little notice, albeit hopefully not as short as the end of July, I still have a few of these TP’s. In fact I have enough whereby the tentative late June reopening date for hotels in my country will almost physically not give me enough time to use them back to back locally if I wish to.

loneraven Apr 26, 2021 1:25 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed before but here's the situation: I have a cat 1-4 legacy TP in my account. I'm trying to book a 7-night stay at a cat 7 hotel. I first made the reservation using points alone, then called customer service and asked them to apply the 1-4 TP so I can get some points back. I was told nope, cat 1-4 TP can only be redeemed at cat 1-4 properties. They can't "upgrade" it to a higher category TP by pulling points from my account, which was how it was done in the past when I redeemed these TPs for higher category hotels. I asked to speak with the supervisor and she repeated the same thing and said the only way to use my cat 1-4 TP is to book a cat 1-4 hotel. I told them I'd been able to use these certs in the past on higher category hotels by "upgrading" them. She said she wasn't aware of any way to do that.

Anyone has any advice on how I should handle this? Thanks!

myperks Apr 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by loneraven (Post 33207146)
Not sure if this has been discussed before but here's the situation: I have a cat 1-4 legacy TP in my account. I'm trying to book a 7-night stay at a cat 7 hotel. I first made the reservation using points alone, then called customer service and asked them to apply the 1-4 TP so I can get some points back. I was told nope, cat 1-4 TP can only be redeemed at cat 1-4 properties. They can't "upgrade" it to a higher category TP by pulling points from my account, which was how it was done in the past when I redeemed these TPs for higher category hotels. I asked to speak with the supervisor and she repeated the same thing and said the only way to use my cat 1-4 TP is to book a cat 1-4 hotel. I told them I'd been able to use these certs in the past on higher category hotels by "upgrading" them. She said she wasn't aware of any way to do that.

Anyone has any advice on how I should handle this? Thanks!

this was minimally available when the conversion took place and only if you were able to get an agent to do it. I don’t think I’ve seen any reports of upgrades for awhile.

being able to upgrade freely to other categories was before the merger.

loneraven Apr 26, 2021 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 33207160)
this was minimally available when the conversion took place and only if you were able to get an agent to do it. I don’t think I’ve seen any reports of upgrades for awhile.

being able to upgrade freely to other categories was before the merger.

Ah, got it, thanks. It's been a while since I used one of these. Guess I'll have to settle for a cat 1-4 hotel future stay then, that is, if they're willing to extend it again!

UsernameChuck Apr 29, 2021 10:36 am

Frequent Miler reports that they'll be extended to Jan 2022!
https://frequentmiler.com/good-news-...es-and-points/

pazza2000 Apr 29, 2021 11:03 am

Great news, pleased to see a little more notice also.

UsernameChuck Apr 29, 2021 11:17 am

I forgot to add - the report indicates that both travel package weeks and free night certificates will be extended.

nacho Apr 29, 2021 12:29 pm

Confirmed by Bonvoy:

Marriott Bonvoy Author
Yes, so long as the FNA certificate from your travel package has an original expiration date in 2020, or will expire before January 2, 2022. Feel free to send us a private message if you would like us to check on a specific certificate for you!