Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancellation fee- do I have any recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation fee- do I have any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:18 pm

Another thing to consider is whether you will be stuck there on Monday if you are just going for the long weekend.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
A lot of feedback here. To close this up I ended up just cancelling, willing to pocket the fee and withdrew my request with Bonvoy. They confirmed they would take no action on my behalf but someone clearly followed it up. The hotel contacted me today and informed me that they did in fact reverse the charge.
dgreen12, pilgrim, Happy and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sabre31_98
A lot of feedback here. To close this up I ended up just cancelling, willing to pocket the fee and withdrew my request with Bonvoy. They confirmed they would take no action on my behalf but someone clearly followed it up. The hotel contacted me today and informed me that they did in fact reverse the charge.
I’m glad it worked out for you, but you you disregarded 2 very good suggestions.

1) Call the hotel directly.
2) Modify your reservation to beyond the 7 day cancellation window, and then cancel at no cost.

This is FT. You have questions, we have answers!
Tanic, Happy, writerguyfl and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:58 pm

Will the modify and cancel trick work if the SNA is already confirmed?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I often wonder why people post an issue and then completely ignore all the suggestions.
TerryK, DJ_Iceman and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I’m glad it worked out for you, but you you disregarded 2 very good suggestions.

1) Call the hotel directly.
2) Modify your reservation to beyond the 7 day cancellation window, and then cancel at no cost.

I didn't know about #2. Thank you!

The first-level phone agents that answer the Titanium phone are useless. They can barely run a search for a new reservation.

I always ask for "Elite Services" as soon as the first person answers. "Elite Services" is the moniker for what the Plat+ agents used to be, but these agents are also "Supervisors" and have some more authority in the system it seems. They certainly have been more compassionate, competent, and able to get things done.

For example: I tried to cancel a reservation online but had another open in another tab and the wonderful BONVOY IT cancelled the wrong one. Called, first agent said nothing can be done. She "called the property" and they said the same.

I asked for Elite Services. The agent who picked up there was so much better, actually called the property, and quickly had the reservation reinstated.

It is super annoying that we are "elite" yet have to deal with the new bumbling first-line agents, but I just see them as triage. Easy to bypass them.

Finally, I have had an Elite Services agent waive a cancellation penalty once. She entered some waiver code. So I guess its possible, but only time I've ever tried to cancel like that so no idea how common it is.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I didn't know about #2 . Thank you!

The first-level phone agents that answer the Titanium phone are useless. They can barely run a search for a new reservation.

I always ask for "Elite Services" as soon as the first person answers. "Elite Services" is the moniker for what the Plat+ agents used to be, but these agents are also "Supervisors" and have some more authority in the system it seems. They certainly have been more compassionate, competent, and able to get things done.

For example: I tried to cancel a reservation online but had another open in another tab and the wonderful BONVOY IT cancelled the wrong one. Called, first agent said nothing can be done. She "called the property" and they said the same.

I asked for Elite Services. The agent who picked up there was so much better, actually called the property, and quickly had the reservation reinstated.

It is super annoying that we are "elite" yet have to deal with the new bumbling first-line agents, but I just see them as triage. Easy to bypass them.

Finally, I have had an Elite Services agent waive a cancellation penalty once. She entered some waiver code. So I guess its possible, but only time I've ever tried to cancel like that so no idea how common it is.
It's sad that we need to know to ask for "elite services" to get acceptable customer service when we call the elite (LTT or whatever) number. What happens to elites who don't read FT?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by neuro0
I don’t know of anyone who’s ever done this but since SNAs can only clear 5 days before arrival, I suspect that if you tried to change the reservation, Marriott’s IT would swallow up your SNA never to be seen again! Kids, don’t try this at home!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
Modifying a reservation after the cancellation deadline will work only if two conditions are met: first, roomassignment has not yet taken place (which usually happens 1 or 2 days before scheduled arrival); second, the revenue manager at that property is inattentive and incompetent.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
You might want to talk directly to the GM, it is likely he(she) will work with you.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:31 am

It works as long as you are able to modify the reservation. None of that other stuff matters. I have modified a reservation at the property, after finding out that my preferred hotel was available.
grd787 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The OP booked a hotel in Florida in the height of hurricane season--and knew it had a 7 dav advance cancel policy. The OP needs to take responsibility for the choice to book here in the first place. The hotel and Marriott are not at fault at all.

Travel insurance? I'm sure the OP and everyone else has heard of it. It's there for a reason, too.

If the hurricane does not strike the OP's hotel area, then the OP can choose to go or not, but the hotel isn't due to refund the OP or deviate from its stated policy. That being said, because the OP is a Titanium (Lifetime diesn't matter IMO), if the OP called and politely asked the hotel, I imagine the hotel might be more willing to accommodate the OP. But the OP's status doesn't mean that they're entitled to that.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sabre31_98
I absolutely agree that Marriott is not in the wrong here, and yes $371 is not worth dying on that hill, but it's not like I'm a serial canceller. I don't think I've ever contacted Marriott for anything significant in 12 years. I just think that exceptions can be made and it would have been nice for them to feign like they were trying at the very least. I think the dismissive attitude of the CSR probably is what made me dig in on this. I've vented. I'll surrender.
Get over it about the "loyalty part". Can't believe after the past 2 years how badly Marriott behaved in treating its loyal customers anyone would still hold a hope to get some real caring / assistance, from Marriott.

It is too early to tell where the hurricane will land. Bad weather with lots of rain is expected no matter what because this has been the Norm this summer - we have heavy thunderstorms with rain every afternoon the past 7 weeks already. Sometimes the heavy rain hit in the morning, sometimes both the afternoon and evening are hit with heavy rains that typically dont last more than 30 min but the rain happens every day, much wetter Summer than usual.

Hurricane is now being talked as it may be a Cat 4, from earlier Cat 2 to 3 only.

When the airlines issue waivers, Marriott would issue waivers as well, like they have done so in the past in similar situation IIRC.

Besides, what do you expect when you pick the hurricane season to travel to Florida? pretty much like people pick the Winter time to travel to Northeast for a vacation - you knowingly take the weather risk, so just chalk it up to bad luck and hope for the best if hurricane does come, then you get the waiver.

EDIT
Glad to read OP is accommodated by the hotel, which probably has had the latest weather update that this could turn into a Cat 4 by Sunday.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 29, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The OP booked a hotel in Florida in the height of hurricane season--and knew it had a 7 dav advance cancel policy. The OP needs to take responsibility for the choice to book here in the first place. The hotel and Marriott are not at fault at all.

Travel insurance? I'm sure the OP and everyone else has heard of it. It's there for a reason, too.

If the hurricane does not strike the OP's hotel area, then the OP can choose to go or not, but the hotel isn't due to refund the OP or deviate from its stated policy. That being said, because the OP is a Titanium (Lifetime diesn't matter IMO), if the OP called and politely asked the hotel, I imagine the hotel might be more willing to accommodate the OP. But the OP's status doesn't mean that they're entitled to that.
I am not sure any travel insurance would cover weather related cancellation but may be some policies do.

Status should not have anything to do with whether OP gets a break or not. Though play it skillfully sometimes it does bring solution more easily.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that the official rule on SNAs that have already cleared is that the SNA is returned only if you cancel the entire reservation and you must do this by 3 pm on the day before arrival (where 2 pm the day before arrival is the final sweep for the SNA upgrade to be confirmed). I'm not sure if it matters whether one is already beyond the cancellation deadline for the underlying hotel reservation, but since 3 pm the day before arrival would be beyond the standard 48 or 72 hour cancel period that most hotels impose on standard reservations, I wouldn't expect a stronger rule requiring forfeiture of the SNAs too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.