Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Half a Million Marriott Points, Where to Go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Half a Million Marriott Points, Where to Go?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
Toronto - Japan is a shorter flight than Toronto - Europe? Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I can get anywhere in Europe from Chicago in much less time than Tokyo. I can see where the OP, with a 5 year old, would have to break up that flight with a stopover in Vancouver to let the kid run around a little. Although I agree it's a great choice for a family vacation.
My mistake I thought OP was in Vancouver, not Toronto. Yes, the latter is closer to Europe...

Originally Posted by Donsyb
Also if the 5 yo is into Harry Potter, there's the studio tour just outside London. All my friends kids love that.
My 9 and 6 year old absolutely loved the Harry Potter tour, and I did too. It helps if they have seen the movies...
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
The Marriott on Coronado Island is pretty nice (and super family friendly), and IMO is the best Marriott property in San Diego. If I wanted to burn 500k Marriott points in the US, I’d head to the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay for an extended stay, and do the points upgrade to club level. I think it’s the best Ritz in the US, and in an absolutely incredible location easily accessible from SFO but without the crowds of Southern California. Plenty of stuff for kids to do there as well. I’d also consider the Ritz in Lake Tahoe (that now has its own beach club near Kings Beach), or one of the Marriott Vacation Club properties at South Lake.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
The Marriott on Coronado Island is pretty nice (and super family friendly), and IMO is the best Marriott property in San Diego. If I wanted to burn 500k Marriott points in the US, I’d head to the Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay for an extended stay, and do the points upgrade to club level. I think it’s the best Ritz in the US, and in an absolutely incredible location easily accessible from SFO but without the crowds of Southern California. Plenty of stuff for kids to do there as well. I’d also consider the Ritz in Lake Tahoe (that now has its own beach club near Kings Beach), or one of the Marriott Vacation Club properties at South Lake.
I grew up near HMB and there is no way I would recommend somebody blow 500k points here (nice as the hotel is). It is not close to SF - stay in the RC in SF if you want to tour it instead of blowing hours every day commuting. There are so many more exotic locations that have a ton of fun things for kids to do. Like RC Tahoe - if you are an outdoors person this is fun in summer and winter. SLT is a pit - would never tell anyone to visit unless they wanted a deal for ski season.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I grew up near HMB and there is no way I would recommend somebody blow 500k points here (nice as the hotel is). It is not close to SF - stay in the RC in SF if you want to tour it instead of blowing hours every day commuting. There are so many more exotic locations that have a ton of fun things for kids to do. Like RC Tahoe - if you are an outdoors person this is fun in summer and winter. SLT is a pit - would never tell anyone to visit unless they wanted a deal for ski season.
I wasn’t implying that RC HMB is an ideal spot to tour SF; I mentioned SFO as the closest airport that OP could fly into from Toronto. If I was going to stay in SF, I’d choose the Palace over any other Marriott property (RC/StR included).

i grew up not far from Lake Tahoe, and always avoided South Lake. However, the amount of money that has been pumped into the Stateline area in the past couple years, especially since Vail bought Heavenly, really has transformed the area. As far as varied activities for kids, you’ve got D.L. Bliss, Emerald Bay, Nevada Beach, Zephyr Cove, and Sand Harbor within 20 minutes drive from two super nice, family friendly Marriott VCs.

Just some simple CA suggestions, since spending lots of time on a plane with a little kid going someplace “exotic” sounds miserable to me. Hawaii is about as far as I want to go my little kid until they’re about 10 or so.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When we had young kids, it fortunately corresponded with a window in time where you could actually get MVCI's with Marriott points with reasonably good availability. Those were wonderful stays - Newport Beach comes to mind as a particularly enjoyable one in a great location.

So yeah, I'd definitely say go for the VCs...if you can get them. The current incarnation of the awards program has made this pretty difficult, from what I've read here.

Half Moon Bay would be a nice couples weekend getaway IMHO. Great location, great property, not a place I'd blow a week's worth of high-end Marriott points and not a place I'd enjoy nearly as much with little kids.

Maybe by going a little off-peak you can get one of the 5-night timeshare preview deals (Marriott's previews are tasteful without the boiler-room vibe, unlike most of that industry). But that still leaves you with all those Marriott points.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Why not combine Disney/SoCal with either Punta Mita (StR or W) or Cabo (Solaz)? Amazing hotels and Disney for the daughter. Easy trip from Canada, too.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Why not combine Disney/SoCal with either Punta Mita (StR or W) or Cabo (Solaz)? Amazing hotels and Disney for the daughter. Easy trip from Canada, too.

No.. because we don’t want to take her to Mexico atm.

Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
No.. because we don’t want to take her to Mexico atm.
Mexico atm?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Mexico atm?
at the moment though I agree Punta Mita would be a good pick!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Mexico atm?
I’m fairly paranoid and even a bit narrow minded, but when it comes to our toddler, we prefer to keep her within US, Canada, UK and Japan until she’s at least 12. Food sanitation is a concern as she’s allergic to tree nuts. I really don’t want to worry about access to quality health care should we need it. So we ain’t gonna hit Mexico or Caribbean despite all the nice resorts and such. No cruise ship either. I’m just super paranoid in general. shrugs
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Hawaii. Choose whichever island or combination of islands.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CIT85
Hawaii. Choose whichever island or combination of islands.
unfortunately that’s too long of a journey. Toronto to Vancouver, stop, then Vancouver to Hawaii. Noooooot gonna happen with the toddler
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Upthread you said you were considering Greece, which is further than Hawaii, FWIW I would consider Greece roughly equivalent to Mexico. Seems like you should perhaps not go anywhere and save your points for when it’s not such a hassle to travel.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Upthread you said you were considering Greece, which is further than Hawaii, FWIW I would consider Greece roughly equivalent to Mexico. Seems like you should perhaps not go anywhere and save your points for when it’s not such a hassle to travel.
Actually, Toronto to Hawaii is a pretty significantly longer flight than Toronto to Greece.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Toukolou
Actually, Toronto to Hawaii is a pretty significantly longer flight than Toronto to Greece.
Yes, I see you are right. But while Athens may be closer, the resorts mentioned are in Crete which requires clearing immigration and another roughly hour long flight. I would be surprised if you could actually get to the resorts in shorter time than one in Hawaii?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.