Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Half a Million Marriott Points, Where to Go?

Old Aug 15, 19, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

Want to splurge one last time. Got about half a mil points and want to do a nice trip. One 5-year old and two adults.

Was looking at RC Kyoto but our daughter does not like the loooonnngggg flight so ruling out Asia / Australia/ New Zealand altogether. Flying from YYZ.

West coast somewhere?

Caribbean somewhere?

Europe?

Idea travel time is fall, September - November frame.

Ideas please. Platinum member.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:47 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Personally, I would ask the spouse where they would want to go... no reason you have to splurge and use all the points at once... I have a tendency to want to take as many free trips as possible with my points.... so rarely splurge on a high point property.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Personally, I would ask the spouse where they would want to go... no reason you have to splurge and use all the points at once... I have a tendency to want to take as many free trips as possible with my points.... so rarely splurge on a high point property.
Thanks, spouse listens to me on these trips.

We rather spend all the points on high end cat 7/8 hotels. We are expecting a 2nd child in a couple years so will switch to AirBnB or private residences after this trip!
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post

Thanks, spouse listens to me on these trips.

We rather spend all the points on high end cat 7/8 hotels. We are expecting a 2nd child in a couple years so will switch to AirBnB or private residences after this trip!
Just my opinion, and I don't know anything about your daughter, but if you are definitely looking at higher end properties I would concentrate on those with kid-friendly amenities.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
I'd start by looking at the Cat 7 and Cat 8 hotels in places you're interested in. In general, you will get the best bang for your buck and warm weather in Asia, but it really depends on what you want. Based on your email tone with a focus on a grand last tour, I'd probably either do 1-2 luxury Asian resort stays at somewhere like the St Regis Bali (and/ or maybe a stop in a nice city hotel) or do a couple of European cities somewhere like Venice with the Gritti Palace or Paris for the Prince de Gaulles.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

This is an open-ended question. You will have to narrow on your own. 500,000 is not really that much. You can't even book a 7-night Cat-8 stay. It requires 510,000.

Things you need to consider:

1. flight and other transit cost. If you are doing island hopping, it will cost you more. Also, transit will take more than one day.
2. Hotel occupancy. Most hotels outside US may not be able to accommodate more than two adults with the standard room. Expensive to upgrade.
3. Related tours etc.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Prague. This is my favorite city in Europe. The Marriott is right at the edge of the old city and if you've never been to Prague then you need to go there. You can add Berlin to the trip which is only a four hour train trip and stay at the Marriott or Ritz Carlton at Potsdamer Platz. I would go in September or October. If you have enough time, add Vienna to the trip.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
St Regis Bahia Beach seems like a good use. No nonstop flights from YYZ but easy connections. 7 nights is 510k. Book 6 if you don't have that many?

Of course, Sept-Nov is hurricane season in the Caribbean. But that has never stopped me from going there then -- occupancy tends to be lower, and unless it's an Irma/Maria-type situation, the ordinary risk is just a couple of rainy days at a very pleasant resort -- i.e., not a big deal.

Hawaii is probably also worth a look.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Uh Clem View Post
Prague. This is my favorite city in Europe. The Marriott is right at the edge of the old city and if you've never been to Prague then you need to go there. You can add Berlin to the trip which is only a four hour train trip and stay at the Marriott or Ritz Carlton at Potsdamer Platz. I would go in September or October. If you have enough time, add Vienna to the trip.
Highly doubt any of those cities will garb teh 5 yrs old attention, that said Im heading to PRG myself next week and 2 weeks ago did BUD & LJU. But I wouldnt recommend any of them for a 5yr old

OP what interests does you daughter have? Not knowing that answer Id say Anaheim or Orlando areas with the parks that are there, you can find some nice top hotels even thou its that area. Or a number of top hotels in Florida during school break comes Dec if you live in a cold climate area
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Also, be careful with cancellation policies (heh) but St. Regis Aspen could be nice in the fall when the leaves are changing.
Old Aug 15, 19, 12:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Highly doubt any of those cities will garb teh 5 yrs old attention, that said Im heading to PRG myself next week and 2 weeks ago did BUD & LJU. But I wouldnt recommend any of them for a 5yr old

OP what interests does you daughter have? Not knowing that answer Id say Anaheim or Orlando areas with the parks that are there, you can find some nice top hotels even thou its that area. Or a number of top hotels in Florida during school break comes Dec if you live in a cold climate area
Not all 5 year olds only like the US, you know

I wouldn’t suggest Prague because for me the Augustine doesn’t rate as a “grand blowout” hotel, but the city itself is deep with culture and sights (music, plays, museums, historical sites, countryside, etc) which many children would find fascinating.
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:51 pm

If you like las vegas.. I enjoyed my cosmopolitan las vegas redemption. Calculated it at 1.6cpp for weekend days. Booked the thursday with virtuoso for the free breakfast, $100 credit and a cheap rate, then weekend on points.

They have a lot of suites, so good chance at an upgrade. You definitely have to ask for it though, not automatic at all.

They also allow to burn some more points to guarantee a suite.

Worked well, but be careful on checkout, took some negotiating to get my credits properly applied. There systems are pretty bad.
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:54 pm

St. Regis Bal Harbour is very family friendly and IMHO the best Bonvoy resort in the US
UA-NYC and rulenumber62 like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
Was looking at RC Kyoto but our daughter does not like the loooonnngggg flight
So I take it you've booked two tickets to Japan and made arrangements with the in-laws then?

Have a great trip!
acrophobia and krakendown like this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, what are you thinking in terms of where you'd like to go? There's always someplace like Hawaii or Disney...and that pot of points could probably transfer out for some decent airline tickets.

Search this Thread