Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This is nothing compared to the disclosure on late cancellation/no-show penalties on awards.
C17PSGR, KRSW, TSparky and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Glad to see posters coming to the defense of poor little Marriott here
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by myperks
cant wait for our resident hotel complainer to come and explain to us how horrible this chain is... oh wait...
Fair enough, but this is a very legit complaint, IMO.

Marriott runs these ads about the golden rule - I am confident they wouldn't like it if their suppliers, vendors, franchises or anyone tried to pull the same stunt on them.
jupper, UA-NYC, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kacee
I hope the D.C. AG is paying attention. Looks like "Exhibit A" to me.
Isn’t the complaint about the resort fees being hidden or not disclosed at booking? This tweet tells me where to find what is included in the fee. No different than details of what is available on property.

I’ve found the fees to be prominently disclosed at the top of the page displaying room rates within the app

Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think one answer might be to convince local governments to tax "resort fee"/"destination fee" revenue at some egregious rate (and I said "revenue" intentionally...you're taxing the hotels' income from it, not taxing the end-user).
And businesses never pass on higher taxes/fees/tariffs/surcharges to consumers, right? A 50% tax would double the fees for consumers.
polinka and Toukolou like this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 11, 2019 at 5:17 pm
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I'm less concerned about resort fees per se, other than the vulgar money grab, than their lack of transparency. Such fees should be built into comparative room rates in search engines, as should all mandatory hotel / resort fees. I get mightily pissed off at hotels who tell me the room will be under $200 a night, then suddenly its up to $250 with fees.
moondog, muji, Dolphin2 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Segments

Isn’t the complaint about the resort fees being hidden or not disclosed at booking? This tweet tells me where to find what is included in the fee.
No, the issue is resort fees not being disclosed at price discovery, not booking. In this case Marriott is demonstrating that in addition to being used as a way to hide costs, it’s also quite difficult to find out what you’re actually buying - which makes sense because nobody ever pays a resort fee because they’d like to pay $40 a night for waterpolo lessons.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
This is why God invented the Disney Vacation Club and the owners who will rent stays to you.
stormlover likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I don’t think the problem is the disclosure of the resort fee, but trying to find out what the heck the resort fee includes! With SPG, this info was available on the booking page. I’ve not been able to find it on Marriott's website.
This year alone, I had to call 3 properties just to figure out what the destination fee included. Marriott does a good job, letting you know there is a resort/destination fee, but trying to figure out what that fee exactly covers is one big CF.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seat38a
This year alone, I had to call 3 properties just to figure out what the destination fee included. Marriott does a good job, letting you know there is a resort/destination fee, but trying to figure out what that fee exactly covers is one big CF.
Marriott does NOT do a good job at disclosing resort fees, even when booking via its own channels. That is the entire point of this thread.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by moondog
Marriott does NOT do a good job at disclosing resort fees, even when booking via its own channels. That is the entire point of this thread.

I've noticed the same thing about parking fees on former Starwood properties. How can they be so inconsistent?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And businesses never pass on higher taxes/fees/tariffs/surcharges to consumers, right? A 50% tax would double the fees for consumers.
I hear this all the time in US debate and really can't understand it. If Marriott could just double resort fees, why don't they just do that now? Pricing in industries like hotels hasn't been based on costs for 50 years.
C17PSGR and ExArkie like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
While some way see it that way, others do not. No one books a hotel reservation via tweet. This tweet (and this entire thread in my opinion) is irrelevant to the discussion of proper disclosure of the cost of resort fees.

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I'm not defending resort fees in any way and I think they're BS, but it's right there in a blue box at the top of of the booking page for the Swan:
Agreed. I do strongly feel that the resort fee shown on the initial search results screen. But, the cost of the resort fee is disclosed via that blue box immediately when clicking on the hotel to see the exact rooms/rates available.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope they don't seriously mean that the hotel can change the resort fee after a reservation is confirmed and the guest will be expected to pay the new (higher) resort fee? Yeah, of course *government imposed* taxes can change, but a hotel shouldn't be able to change the rate (presumably without any notice too) after a reservation has been confirmed.
I concur with CosmicGirl. It would be extremely unlikely that any chain hotel would try to charge "old" reservations any "new" price for a resort fee.

Certainly, it's imprecise language. But, they just write taxes because some fees are required by law. For example, the extra $5/night hotel's must charge in the state of Georgia is called a fee but it's required by law.

This one: https://dor.georgia.gov/state-hotel-motel-faq

If the Georgia government decided to change the fee to $10/night starting tomorrow regardless of when the reservation was made, the disclaimer protects the hotel. And rightfully so (to me), because the hotel doesn't directly benefit from that fee.
CosmicGirl and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
No, the issue is resort fees not being disclosed at price discovery, not booking.
This. I think the resort fees are fairly obvious when booking direct, but even then the fees don’t show up in the search results, so it’s harder to price compare across properties without clicking through to a specific property.

The bigger issue is that there is very limited visibility into resort fees when booking through third-party channels like OTAs. You could book a room on Expedia and then have no notification of resort fees until you check in. This is deceptive since there’s no reasonable justification for carving out these fees from the nightly rate when they’re mandatory.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I hear this all the time in US debate and really can't understand it. If Marriott could just double resort fees, why don't they just do that now? Pricing in industries like hotels hasn't been based on costs for 50 years.
Because companies have market sensibilities. There is no appetite for a single mover, even the largest in the industry, to double fee. The fall out from such a solo move would be pretty strongly negative and would probably have an outsized effect on long term revenue.

But if the government taxed all resort fees at 50%, you'd see either:
  • a change to the specific category of fee to avoid the letter of the law but still charge you;
  • a matching (or more) increase in price to the consumer - because if the tax is uniformly applied, to the consumer it just means "all hotels cost more now";
  • or an elimination of resort fees, and an increase in all other revenue streams to cover the lost revenue.
Resort fee revenue is now baked into the bottom line. If it goes away, shareholders will be unhappy. So that revenue will stay, in some form or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.