Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best value and conveniently located Marriott properties in Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best value and conveniently located Marriott properties in Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
For a points redemption the CY Sha Tin wins hands down given that its cash rate can creep up to ~HK$1800 when it's full of tour groups and the cash rate at CY HK, Le Meridien and even the Marriott Ocean Park can be lower (I've seen this some weekends). If the OP is looking at HK then Ovolo can be had for ~HK$800 a night. Book direct (still getting Bonvoy nights and points) and you get their breakfast and happy hour free flow drinks in the evening.

But I'd agree that KL is probably best for Asian mattress runs especially if you travel there using Air Asia and get a dirt cheap flight - something that's lacking if you fly to HKG. Could also try the Four Points Sandakan which is a very nice hotel quite out of the way and cheap.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ftrichard
For a points redemption the CY Sha Tin wins hands down given that its cash rate can creep up to ~HK$1800 when it's full of tour groups and the cash rate at CY HK, Le Meridien and even the Marriott Ocean Park can be lower (I've seen this some weekends). If the OP is looking at HK then Ovolo can be had for ~HK$800 a night. Book direct (still getting Bonvoy nights and points) and you get their breakfast and happy hour free flow drinks in the evening.

But I'd agree that KL is probably best for Asian mattress runs especially if you travel there using Air Asia and get a dirt cheap flight - something that's lacking if you fly to HKG. Could also try the Four Points Sandakan which is a very nice hotel quite out of the way and cheap.
What’s the lowest cash rate you’ve seen for the CY HK and Le Meridien?

Which properties in KL is worth staying at?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare

What’s the lowest cash rate you’ve seen for the CY HK and Le Meridien?

Which properties in KL is worth staying at?
HK hotels are very variable. The CY HK can be had for <HK$1000. I paid that my last stay on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. The same weekend the LeM was about the same IIRC. Put some random dates into the Marriott web site and you’ll see the variance. The CY HK has been HK$2000 some weekends when the Marriott OP was <HK$1500. All prices quoted inc taxes etc.

In KL if you have status then the best value for cash is probably LeM because of its excellent lounge and for points the Sheraton because it’s a lower category. The Ren has its fans and all three are probably interchangeable. The cheaper brands aren’t that much cheaper for cash but don’t have lounges. The Aloft for example is frequently the same cash price as the nearby LeM but LeM is much better if you’ve got status and lounge access. You don’t need hotels from the Westin upwards if it’s a mattress run and you don’t feel you need to be directly on Bukit Bintang.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by SHLTP
For mattress runs, KL. Tons of properties in the $100 USD range, often sub $100 that are good. LM is excellent value. Sheraton not great but for mattress ok. I think we paid $69 USD a night for 3 of us at LM. One of the best deals in whole sister
But just a word of warning, the breakfast at LM KL is utter rubbish quality-wise, and you will find better Malaysian food in Seattle.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by HollyGlen
But just a word of warning, the breakfast at LM KL is utter rubbish quality-wise, and you will find better Malaysian food in Seattle.
In your opinion. Many would disagree. But let’s not get into that again in this thread.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
I saw another thread somewhere that compared the LM breakfast specifically to Seattle, maybe it was the same poster? FWIW, I have often stayed at LM and found the breakfast excellent, including the local dishes. there are no pork products, but this is common in KL hotels. My Malaysian colleague that I am traveling at the moment with in HK is also puzzled at the poor quality comments about the breakfast. (We're at Cyberport this week where the breakfast, while not bad, is not close to being in the same league).
The Club Lounge breakfast at LM is more limited but since we have a choice of lounge or downstairs, I choose Lounge if I want peace & quiet, and downstairs if I want a big full breakfast.
If you want convenient quality in KL then the LM is hard to beat with the airport train.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby

In your opinion. Many would disagree. But let’s not get into that again in this thread.
Sorry, @ftrichard, I forgot my sarcasm font.

Edited to add: I spend a third of my year there on average, so love the place to bits.
ftrichard likes this.

Last edited by HollyGlen; Aug 7, 2019 at 12:05 am Reason: Added text
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HK hotels are very variable. The CY HK can be had for <HK$1000. I paid that my last stay on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. The same weekend the LeM was about the same IIRC. Put some random dates into the Marriott web site and you’ll see the variance. The CY HK has been HK$2000 some weekends when the Marriott OP was <HK$1500. All prices quoted inc taxes etc.

In KL if you have status then the best value for cash is probably LeM because of its excellent lounge and for points the Sheraton because it’s a lower category. The Ren has its fans and all three are probably interchangeable. The cheaper brands aren’t that much cheaper for cash but don’t have lounges. The Aloft for example is frequently the same cash price as the nearby LeM but LeM is much better if you’ve got status and lounge access. You don’t need hotels from the Westin upwards if it’s a mattress run and you don’t feel you need to be directly on Bukit Bintang.
Apparently there are two Ovolos in HK. Not surprising the one in Central is a lot more expensive. I’m assuming you meant the location in Aberdeen? Have you been there before? The price seems pretty good. I’m assuming it’s that good cuz it’s at Aberdeen. It’s tempting to give that hotel a try.

Google Maps say the beet way to get there from HKG is by bus. What do you think?

I don’t have Platinum status so I don’t think I can use the lounge. What’s so good about that lounge? Should I still consider this hotel if I can’t use the lounge and I’m paying cash?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any comments on Beijing and Shanghai?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I found the KUL LM breakfast in the restaurant to be very good - variety and quality both of a high standard.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: SQ TPP
Sorry I forgot my sarcasm detector @HollyGlen .. probably I ate too much free food at breakfast

If I'm on a budget in Shanghai but want city center, I sometimes stay at the Renaissance Yu Gardens. Opposite a subway station and very close to the Bund (easy walk) but generally costs a lot less than other Marriotts in similar locations. The hotel quality probably reflects this but it has always been fine for me. Acceptable for quick business trips but I wouldn't stay if on a family holiday.
lsquare, ftrichard and HollyGlen like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snaffled
Sorry I forgot my sarcasm detector @HollyGlen .. probably I ate too much free food at breakfast

If I'm on a budget in Shanghai but want city center, I sometimes stay at the Renaissance Yu Gardens. Opposite a subway station and very close to the Bund (easy walk) but generally costs a lot less than other Marriotts in similar locations. The hotel quality probably reflects this but it has always been fine for me. Acceptable for quick business trips but I wouldn't stay if on a family holiday.
What’s the lowest cash price for this property? The pictures look really nice. I could live with that, but always looking for more opinions.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:31 am

Apparently there are two Ovolos in HK. Not surprising the one in Central is a lot more expensive. I’m assuming you meant the location in Aberdeen? Have you been there before? The price seems pretty good. I’m assuming it’s that good cuz it’s at Aberdeen. It’s tempting to give that hotel a try.

Google Maps say the beet way to get there from HKG is by bus. What do you think?

I don’t have Platinum status so I don’t think I can use the lounge. What’s so good about that lounge? Should I still consider this hotel if I can’t use the lounge and I’m paying cash?
I'm talking about Ovolo Southside - it's a member of Design Hotels and is bookable via Marriott. If you don't have status and the price is HK$750-1000 then book direct by email and you will get breakfast and two hours of happy hour drinks thrown in as well as accruing the Bonvoy points and nights if you give them your number. Most other hotels charge you more or you have to have status for equivalent lounge access (it's not a lounge at Ovolo - just breakfast in the restaurant and drinks in the bar). Whether this has value for you depends whether you eat breakfast and would have a few glasses of wine in the evening.

It's trivial to get there by MTR metro (of course, depending on where you're starting from). Two stops from Admiralty. Wave to the new Marriott Ocean Park on the way.

Honestly, the prices at all these places are so variable in HK that you're best off fixing your dates and seeing what the web site comes up with for rates and choose your hotel then. But definitely a rate <HK$1000 is very achievable at all the properties mentioned.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm talking about Ovolo Southside - it's a member of Design Hotels and is bookable via Marriott. If you don't have status and the price is HK$750-1000 then book direct by email and you will get breakfast and two hours of happy hour drinks thrown in as well as accruing the Bonvoy points and nights if you give them your number. Most other hotels charge you more or you have to have status for equivalent lounge access (it's not a lounge at Ovolo - just breakfast in the restaurant and drinks in the bar). Whether this has value for you depends whether you eat breakfast and would have a few glasses of wine in the evening.

It's trivial to get there by MTR metro (of course, depending on where you're starting from). Two stops from Admiralty. Wave to the new Marriott Ocean Park on the way.

Honestly, the prices at all these places are so variable in HK that you're best off fixing your dates and seeing what the web site comes up with for rates and choose your hotel then. But definitely a rate <HK$1000 is very achievable at all the properties mentioned.
You book by emails? What do you put in your email? I’m currently in New York, but getting ready to fly back to Tokyo. Given that it’s already August 6th, should I initiate a Platinum challenge at the beginning of September or start now? With prices like this, I don’t think I’ll have trouble doing 16 nights before the end of the year. Can I have the drinks at the Ovolo at other times? I usually don’t spend time during the day and evening at the hotel. What’s the breakfast like? Sounds like you have experience here.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:43 am

You book by emails? What do you put in your email? I’m currently in New York, but getting ready to fly back to Tokyo. Given that it’s already August 6th, should I initiate a Platinum challenge at the beginning of September or start now? With prices like this, I don’t think I’ll have trouble doing 16 nights before the end of the year. Can I have the drinks at the Ovolo at other times? I usually don’t spend time during the day and evening at the hotel. What’s the breakfast like? Sounds like you have experience here.
This is an independent hotel that is bookable through Marriott as part of its Design Hotel marketing affiliation. Check the hotel's own web site and you will see that the room rate includes breakfast, mini-bar, and the happy hour (actually two) in the bar. Check what you get if you book via Marriott: yes, the room. What they usually do is that first time you make a Marriott reservation they will give you the full package and tell you to book direct next time. But none of this is documented in T&Cs so you can de-risk it by booking direct by email anyway and ask to make a reservation for your dates saying you would also like your Marriott points and nights. You will get the room package by booking direct and the Bonvoy points/nights benefits.

Regarding times... it's normal for hotels to offer free-flow alcohol in lounges or bars to elites or people who otherwise qualify for fixed 2-4 hours in the evening. Not at times that the guest selects. So whether this is useful to you depends on whether you plan to be at the hotel during these "happy hours" and whether you like a drink.

Breakfast at Ovolo is best described as continental. It's a small buffet of cereals, fruit, pastries, cold cuts etc. Not a hot buffet. Personally, I don't rate it against any of the other hotels that have hot options and food stations etc. but at least it's there for free. If you're asking about these mattress run hotels to gain status for the first time then bear in mind you won't get lounge access or breakfast or happy hour drinks at most hotels on the basic rate until you qualify as Platinum. Ovolo is an exception if you book direct as I describe because it's an independent hotel that is managed by its own rules.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.