Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:37 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pitero
Because doesn't each hotel decide what type / number of rooms they put in their upgrade pool? So if they have 20 executive suites but designate only 5 as upgrade inventory, how can anyone determine from the website whether he/she should be entitled to an executive suite upgrade even if those suites appear as "available" for regular booking.
I think the issue is the common thought has always been that the hotel may limit what suite "types" are in the upgrade pool, but they don't limit the number of suites in that "type" that are in the pool. So if they have put 'Oceanview Jr. Suites" in the upgrade pool, all of rooms of that type are in the upgrade pool.

I've never heard nor have a seen in the T&Cs that Marriott allows hotels to limit the number of upgradeable suites within a suite "type" before. So if that is the case, that would be new news to me. There has been a lot of discussion around whether the new Bonvoy program allows hotels to limit room inventory for awards (i.e. like the old Marriott program did) or is it now supposed to be all standard room inventory should be available for awards (i.e. like the old SPG program.) We had been told late last year by some of the Marriott/Bonvoy insiders that it is supposed to be more like the old SPG program though in practice that doesn't seem to be how, at least some, hotels are actually working with award space. But this issue has to do with award room availability not upgrade availability.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I think the issue is the common thought has always been that the hotel may limit what suite "types" are in the upgrade pool, but they don't limit the number of suites in that "type" that are in the pool. So if they have put 'Oceanview Jr. Suites" in the upgrade pool, all of rooms of that type are in the upgrade pool.
I see, thanks for the explanation. That would make sense and would be at least a bit more transparent.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Agreed, but I think that's only because we've been conditioned that way. Per the T&C, if a suite is available for a 364-day stay then the elite member should be upgraded to it. The reality is different, but where's the unofficial line--3 nights? 5? 1?
Wouldn’t that depend on an individual property’s typical sales demand? Some properties may rarely have a suite booked for cash within less than 5 days of arrival while for others it may be common. For some properties it may be day of week or seasonally dependent. Which is why we find it easier to upgrade on shorter stays.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
One can reach some conclusions from the Marriott website though - for example if they’re selling no suites and only one type of room out of 11 they’re probably pretty full.
....unless as was the case with us, reception claimed there were no upgrades although on the website there were better rooms and suite available. Receptionist's comment was ''Marriott just haven't updated the website yet'. 5 hours later rooms and suites still available.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Good points.

I guess I expect to get a suite upgrade for one night, and sort of expect it for two or three nights. But don't expect it for four nights, lol!

And yes, the problem with the breakfast exception is that hotels think they have an exception for everything.
Yes you're more likely to get a suite upgrade for a shorter stay, but this is because the longer you're scheduled to stay, the greater the chances that the suite category is sold out for at least one of those nights (assuming for simplicity that you're not also competing with other elites for the upgrade). The rules don't say anything about suite upgrades being available only for stays of X nights or less.
DJ_Iceman and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Lizie
....unless as was the case with us, reception claimed there were no upgrades although on the website there were better rooms and suite available. Receptionist's comment was ''Marriott just haven't updated the website yet'. 5 hours later rooms and suites still available.
This is pretty normal and could indeed have been reasonable. Maybe the website was open to over booking or maybe rooms were pre-assigned to other people.

My point was the opposite: you can only really tell when there probably is no availability. Guessing from the website as to whether there is a room you should be upgraded to is just wrong. Since the merger I often see people arguing this at the front desk, and it’s annoying that normal guests are disadvantaged by people with sharp elbows being unreasonable to front desk staff.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Any Gold who is complaining doesn't know how the program works.
As a Marriott Gold, I agree with that the general idea that Marriott Gold should not expect anything. No breakfast, no guaranteed late check out, no nothing but may be a smile That has been my experience since the Marriott /SPG merger. But this only apply to a Gold in the Marriott program, a Gold in the Hilton program gets you more benefits.

My last stay at a Courtyard, I was given a small bag which contains four candies as a welcome amenity. Four whole candies! My last stay at a Sheraton, I was upgraded to a regular room on the club floor, but without access to the club that is near my room. That is only for Plat and above.

My last stay at a Hilton as a Gold, I was given a full buffet breakfast and upgraded to a junior corner suite on a high floor. The suite was automatically assigned to me when I did OLCI at 2 pm. Granted, I would not expect a suite upgrade for my next stay, but breakfast is certain.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don’t see why one would compare Gold in Hilton with that of Marriott. In Hilton it’s the second highest status and requires 40 nights, in Marriott it is the 4th highest status and only requires 25 nights.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hilton gives away mid / top tier status via credit card to compensate for a poor / lower quality portfolio of brands + weaker benefits generally

A different model than Marriott
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

This is pretty normal and could indeed have been reasonable. Maybe the website was open to over booking or maybe rooms were pre-assigned to other people.

My point was the opposite: you can only really tell when there probably is no availability. Guessing from the website as to whether there is a room you should be upgraded to is just wrong. Since the merger I often see people arguing this at the front desk, and it’s annoying that normal guests are disadvantaged by people with sharp elbows being unreasonable to front desk staff.
Agree mostly but not sure about the upgrade position. Some hotels are not towing the party line, i.e. 'you have to give written notice by fax if you want to be considered for an upgrade'. Not in Marriott's T&C's at all. No wonder people view lack of upgrade claims with skepticism.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the discussion. I didn't want to make this about EDITION hotels at all, I was just using that specific tweet as an example of my question. How was he able to know "they have multiple suite types available?"
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
In my experience, if a hotel shown that all their room category is available for booking at "normal" price, then most likely the hotel will have suite available for elites.
Whether the said hotel willing to upgrade the elite to these suites is another issue.

If the hotel start showing higher than average prices for the available rooms ... and or only shown select categories are available, then higher chance that the hotel genuinely sold out.

I can guess that hotel sometimes deliberately left few category available in case someone want to book them at the last minute.
Lowest category suites usually left shown as available as it quite easy for the hotel to either upgrade the last minutes guest or just upgrade/further upgrade not yet checked in elites.

Since these suites are elites upgrade pool as well, elites have the impression that the suite is available for them.
geminidreams likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
It would be nice if all parties could follow programs guidelines properly and consistently.
Unfortunately there are always people on both sides who try to game the system.

From elites who demand upgrades and elite benefits for more than program allowed (demand both rooms upgraded etc) to hotel who try to limit upgrading elites.
Toukolou likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Segments

Wouldn’t that depend on an individual property’s typical sales demand? Some properties may rarely have a suite booked for cash within less than 5 days of arrival while for others it may be common. For some properties it may be day of week or seasonally dependent. Which is why we find it easier to upgrade on shorter stays.

When Suiran gave us a complimentary upgrade to the Presidential Suite they specifically said it was because we had booked an 8 night stay 😉

Most of our very best upgrades (SNA And otherwise) have been on 5+ night stays.

I do not subscribe to the shorter stay theory.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by kaizen7
It would be nice if all parties could follow programs guidelines properly and consistently.
Unfortunately there are always people on both sides who try to game the system.

From elites who demand upgrades and elite benefits for more than program allowed (demand both rooms upgraded etc) to hotel who try to limit upgrading elites.
Unless you can log int Marriott system and see the rooms as the hotel sees them you have no idea what is available, who is to be allocated rooms or where you sit in the queue for upgrades. Many hotels are independently owned and have some further criteria to deal with such as the owner wanting friends and family accommodated. You will never know or be told what the criteria are and so you will never know how the guidelines are being followed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.