FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1981199-how-check-if-room-available-upgrade-when-checking.html)

shimps1 Aug 1, 2019 4:45 pm

How to Check if ROOM is Available for Upgrade When Checking In

So I've seen a few posts about Golds and up saying "I was denied an upgrade, even when the rooms were shown as available," or something similar. How do you check if a room is available to upgrade into? Just go to the hotel's website, and see if they are listed as available to book? Or is there more nuance to it than that?

EuropeanPete Aug 1, 2019 5:00 pm

It’s impossible to do accurately unless you’re looking over the shoulder of the receptionist.

One can reach some conclusions from the Marriott website though - for example if they’re selling no suites and only one type of room out of 11 they’re probably pretty full.

Nuhusky Aug 1, 2019 5:14 pm

I had a new one from the jw Miami. I used the mobile app to check in and got a room is ready notification. I went into the app to see what room I got. I was assigned the basic room, same I paid for. So I called the hotel and they confirmed my basic room type.

Of course I went online and saw all kinds of superior level rooms online including concierge level and suites. I asked why I wasn’t getting upgraded. To which I was told oh we are sold out and those rooms are not real, they are all being worked on by maintenance. Needless to say I was upgrade to a concierge lounge room when I actually showed up but being told a bold faced lie really rubbed me the wrong way

mahasamatman Aug 1, 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1 (Post 31368593)
So I've seen a few posts about Golds and up saying "I was denied an upgrade, even when the rooms were shown as available," or something similar.

Any Gold who is complaining doesn't know how the program works.

Wickersley Aug 1, 2019 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31368789)

wow, just wow

mahasamatman Aug 1, 2019 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Wickersley (Post 31368807)
wow, just wow

Understand the context of the post you're quoting before saying that.

MePlatPremier Aug 1, 2019 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wickersley (Post 31368807)
wow, just wow

indeed

shimps1 Aug 1, 2019 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31368789)

Literally said "Gold and up" meaning, all Elite levels eligible for a room upgrade. I meant exactly what I said.

Moving on, here is an example of what I am talking about, on Twitter and escalated by Gary Leff. How does he know the room type is available?

C17PSGR Aug 1, 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1 (Post 31369148)
Literally said "Gold and up" meaning, all Elite levels eligible for a room upgrade. I meant exactly what I said.

Moving on, here is an example of what I am talking about, on Twitter and escalated by Gary Leff. How does he know the room type is available?

https://twitter.com/CarlosMndzbl/sta...870663681?s=20

Likely because the London Edition is selling those room types for his entire stay.

But ... I'm skeptical there is anyone at the Ambassador level on FT who would expect a suite upgrade on a seven day stay at any property in London. It just doesn't normally happen with a 7 day stay. Looks like the Twitter poster wants to switch to Hyatt but I'm skeptical Hyatt's will give a suite upgrade to a mid-tier member on a 7 day stay.

DJ_Iceman Aug 1, 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31369263)
Likely because the London Edition is selling those room types for his entire stay.

But ... I'm skeptical there is anyone at the Ambassador level on FT who would expect a suite upgrade on a seven day stay at any property in London. It just doesn't normally happen with a 7 day stay.

Agreed, but I think that's only because we've been conditioned that way. Per the T&C, if a suite is available for a 364-day stay then the elite member should be upgraded to it. The reality is different, but where's the unofficial line--3 nights? 5? 1?

EuropeanPete Aug 1, 2019 9:20 pm

Editions around the world seem to be consistently pulling a range of non-compliant rules nowadays - several have come out with “one category upgrade only” as policy even for Ambassadors (which when I asked Corporate they said they couldn’t be sure if this was ok or not), so perhaps the twitteratus was highlighting that as an issue? To be fair, what they said their policy was in this case was once again against Marriott T&C’s, so somewhat understandable there is a complaint.

Also, the base rooms in the Edition are really small. I love the hotel environment, but I’m not paying $1,000 to sleep in a broom cupboard (only less now because of the pound devaluation).

C17PSGR Aug 1, 2019 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 31369308)
Agreed, but I think that's only because we've been conditioned that way. Per the T&C, if a suite is available for a 364-day stay then the elite member should be upgraded to it. The reality is different, but where's the unofficial line--3 nights? 5? 1?

Good points.

I guess I expect to get a suite upgrade for one night, and sort of expect it for two or three nights. But don't expect it for four nights, lol!

And yes, the problem with the breakfast exception is that hotels think they have an exception for everything.

daniellam Aug 2, 2019 12:11 am

First make sure the lowest suite category is available for all days through out stay. You may want to break up your stay into multiple one night stays if you are willing to switch rooms.

When checking in, it is very possible that all suites are being occupied or checked out but in "dirty" status (not cleaned yet) at that time. When this is the case, front desk agents tend to be lazy and tell you that they are fully booked etc. and try assign you to a room in your originally booked room type.

If checking in before 2pm, 3pm etc [depending on property] (or official check-out time), ask the front desk agent to check the "departures list" for that day to see if any suites are due to check out that day and whether any of them have late check out. Be nice and tell them that you are willing to wait until one of the guests check out (which could even be well after 4PM for those already occupied and have late check out). The key is that if you are nice enough, they might even pre-assign you to that room and it will be yours once it is cleaned.

If checking in after official check-in time (but before late check-out time of 4PM), ask the front desk agent if there are any suites that are currently in "dirty" status (eg. checked-out but not cleaned yet). Also ask the front desk agent to check the "departures list" to see if anyone has a 4PM check-out. If so, tell them you are willing to wait.

If checking in after 4PM, ask if there are still suites that are in "dirty" status and tell them that you are willing to wait.

Also, ask about whether there any suites are currently in "out of service" status. Some of the higher end hotels block off entire floors (usually where most rooms are suites or regular rooms that can be connected to suites) in case a VIP shows up. If needed, they can quickly put one of those suites into service if a paying guest books. Note: It is possible that some hotels will still take bookings for suites when in reality they are in "out of service" status in the hotel's property management system.

When asking about "departure lists", "dirty status", "out of service" etc, it is common for most front desk agents to have to go into the back room and ask perhaps the front office manager who has better access to the property management system.

Pitero Aug 2, 2019 2:37 am

Originally Posted by shimps1 (Post 31368593)
How do you check if a room is available to upgrade into? Just go to the hotel's website, and see if they are listed as available to book?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never quite understand people who post how they were looking at the hotel website at check-in to spot available suites etc. and then insisted on those rooms for upgrades.

Because doesn't each hotel decide what type / number of rooms they put in their upgrade pool? So if they have 20 executive suites but designate only 5 as upgrade inventory, how can anyone determine from the website whether he/she should be entitled to an executive suite upgrade even if those suites appear as "available" for regular booking.

geminidreams Aug 2, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Pitero (Post 31369860)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never quite understand people who post how they were looking at the hotel website at check-in to spot available suites etc. and then insisted on those rooms for upgrades.

Because doesn't each hotel decide what type / number of rooms they put in their upgrade pool? So if they have 20 executive suites but designate only 5 as upgrade inventory, how can anyone determine from the website whether he/she should be entitled to an executive suite upgrade even if those suites appear as "available" for regular booking.

Agree and they may also pre- allocate suites to other elites that are yet to check in. Im sure if they had a sudden booking for cash for one or more suites the upgrade would then disappear.