Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC Attorney General sues Marriott over "deceptive resort fees"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Horace
True. Marriott International owns The St. Regis New York, which has this notice on its Marriott.com booking page: "Please note - A daily destination fee of USD 50 added to the room rate includes USD 50 food and beverage credit and more."

No thank you. I'll decide how much I'll spend each day on F&B at a hotel. Some days it will be zero — in which case I shouldn't be forced to pay (and lose) $50. Also, unlike F&B charged to the room, resort fees don't count toward hotel-stay Marriott Bonvoy Points.

For a full list of hotel properties owned or leased by Marriott International as of December 31, 2018, see pages 20 and 21 of the Marriott International, Inc. 2018 Annual Report:

https://marriott.gcs-web.com/static-...4-7bd24a381118
The St Regis NY told me that my Titanium status meant that I didn’t have to pay the “destination fee”, which was nice.

These fees are annoying since they force us to pay this fee even when on a points reservation.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by quinella66

The St Regis NY told me that my Titanium status meant that I didn’t have to pay the “destination fee”, which was nice.

These fees are annoying since they force us to pay this fee even when on a points reservation.
In April, the St. Regis NY told me the destination fee wouldn’t be waived even as an Ambassador.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:41 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
These destination fees are grubby at the best of times, but I’d say it’s really unacceptable at a luxury hotel like the St Regis New York. For me one criteria of a luxury hotel is that it doesn’t nickel and dime you as much as a standard Marriott, and so adding on secret fees like they have for me at least really hits their reputation as a credible high value option.
moondog, C17PSGR, JLSocks and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:14 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hotelboy
The lawsuit is baseless and wont go anywhere. Resort fees are disclosed at the time of booking and it is your choice to hit confirm before submitting the reservation. More whining people that cant do their research and just blame the man.
Thank you for disclosing who you are. Crooks in support of crooks. Crooks forever!
You just do not get it - do you. The deception is complete when the crook advertises its room rate. If one cannot have the room for the advertised price - but can have it for additional "resort fees" - even if disclosed at the end of process - it still is plain and simple cheating.
Of course crooks do not get it. Let me try a simple explanation:
You advertise a price for the room. Based on your room price I stop further searches and spend time and effort to complete the reservation, at the end of which it turns out that you lied. I did not have a choice not to accept the fees - I already lost other opportunities because of your deception.
Try to advertise your home for $1.00, and when people show up with $1.00 at your door ask for the "resort fees".
Did you go to trump university for that kind of thinking?
moondog, pinniped, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by arlflyer
(Translation: Mods, please lock)
So, suggestions for a couple of ground rules for this thread :

The topic is a legal action that is currently being taken against (specifically) Marriott International, so this is a valid thread for this forum.

Everyone is encouraged to read the article linked in post #1 , as this provides a good executive summary of the aspects of the case - which are all Marriott-specific - and effectively sets the boundaries to the scope of discussion.

Many forum members will recognise that Resort Fees are an emotive and much-discussed topic here on FT. I'm sure most of us would wish to primarily use this thread to follow the progress of the legal case and would rather not have the thread drowned out by extensive reheats of arguments already posted elsewhere. So let's try and keep discussion focussed on the case itself and the Marriott-specific points outlined in the linked article, and direct the wider Resort Fees discussion to one of the many existing threads elsewhere on FT.

Thank you for your co-operation.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
These destination fees are grubby at the best of times, but I’d say it’s really unacceptable at a luxury hotel like the St Regis New York. For me one criteria of a luxury hotel is that it doesn’t nickel and dime you as much as a standard Marriott, and so adding on secret fees like they have for me at least really hits their reputation as a credible high value option.
New York is just bad about these bogus fees - it's like Las Vegas, when some hotels started charging more hotels do that, you get no choice but to either accept the fee or stay somewhere else. That's one of the reason why I don't go to NY. I vote with my wallet, either by not going to places with these fees or they waive it.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by nacho
New York is just bad about these bogus fees - it's like Las Vegas, when some hotels started charging more hotels do that, you get no choice but to either accept the fee or stay somewhere else. That's one of the reason why I don't go to NY. I vote with my wallet, either by not going to places with these fees or they waive it.
I could very well be wrong, but I'm not aware of any other luxury 5* properties (and I don't mean Park Hyatt level) in New York with these fees.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I could very well be wrong, but I'm not aware of any other luxury 5* properties (and I don't mean Park Hyatt level) in New York with these fees.
I guess Marriott has more than St. Regis as luxury property.

As of January 1st, 2018 Marriott International implemented the $25 per day destination fee for the New York City market and all Marriott and Starwood properties have this in place.

Our Destination Fee includes thoughtful upgrades carefully curated to enhance you [sic] stay in New York City.

· $25 Food & Beverage Credit to be used in Southgate Restaurant and or In Room Dining

· Admission for (2) to Central Park Zoo and or (1) Cycle Class at CYC Fitness

· $30 Hotel Spa Credit and or $30 Laundry Credit

· Enhanced Wi-Fi / Local & Long Distance Calls

· A Central Park Tour: Self-guided through our specially curated website: JW Marriott Essex House New York
Source: https://www.elliott.org/blog/daily-d...ee-what-is-it/
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I guess Marriott has more than St. Regis as luxury property.
Not at what I was referring to by the luxuxry segment, no. I'm looking at the Four Seasons, the Pierre, the MO, Baccarat, Peninsula, etc.

One can argue the RC and the Chatwal are sort of there, I suppose.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at what I was referring to by the luxuxry segment, no. I'm looking at the Four Seasons, the Pierre, the MO, Baccarat, Peninsula, etc.

One can argue the RC and the Chatwal are sort of there, I suppose.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi..._New_York.html

Looks like the Pierre has the fee.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:17 pm

One of the worst Marriott BonBon extra fee scams I've seen is at the Sheraton Orlando Lake Buena Vista "Resort", which is a resort in name only. Typical 1970s Sheraton built around a courtyard. Rooms for most of this month & next month are $75/nt, but the resort fees & parking fees are an extra $50/night...for a $75/nt room. 66% markup there.

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Marriott has to approve but it doesn’t make the decision to charge a resort fee. The property does, subject to Marriott’s acquiescence.
Marriott International has the final say (yay/nay), so ultimately it's their decision, their responsibility. It's not much different than a security guard seeing guys wearing masks and black sacks show up to a jewelry store, announcing their intentions to rob the store, and the security guard agreeing to let them in. He's just as culpable at that point.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Have there been any updates to this litigation over the past year?
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Last update was January 3, 2020 where a judge denied Marriott's motion to dismiss.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:01 am

Washington D.C. is suing Marriott for the resort fees and is looking for consumers

D.C. is suing Marriott for the resort fees and is looking for consumers who are residents of the District and have stayed at Marriott hotels as witnesses that they’ve been deceived, perhaps would have chosen a different hotel had they known the full cost of their stay in advance.

https://viewfromthewing.com/marriott...rs-to-testify/
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Noting that this article is dated March 7, 2021, and that :

Originally Posted by From that article
We are now in search of consumers to come forward about their booking experience. Consumers that come forward may potentially testify in court.
To participate in this action or request additional information (do not respond to this email) please contact investigator Willie Haynes at on or before March 8, 2021

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.