Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Results in getting the DESTINATION FEE waived at Marriott branded properties

Results in getting the DESTINATION FEE waived at Marriott branded properties

Old Jul 2, 19, 11:05 am
  #31  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,392
My employer won't reimburse resort fees, although I'm not sure what the rule is if it's labeled as a destination fee or some other euphemism for scam fee.
Horace and Thysk like this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jul 2, 19, 11:24 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,779
Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post
Huh?

High-speed ("enhanced" internet access) is available to Golds and above as an elite benefit per Terms & Conditions section 4.3.b.v. (some brand exclusions apply, such as EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Aloft, Element, & Vistana.)

It's not a replacement benefit.
I guess it is how they define "enhanced," but yes, on further thought, I agree with you. I typically don't stay at properties that impose a resort fee unless the fee combined with the room rate is still a better value. I was unaware of the "replacement" verbage. I will give that a go next time.

I just completed 2, 2 night stays at the Westin Puerto Vallarta which imposes a daily $15 resort fee. I was on a $102 nightly rate with a daily $100 resort credit so I wasn't too concerned about the resort fee. I was even upgraded to a Preium Ocean View, Club level with a Whirlpool on the deck.

James
dgreen12 and Thysk like this.
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Jul 2, 19, 6:46 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Posts: 5,991
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My employer won't reimburse resort fees, although I'm not sure what the rule is if it's labeled as a destination fee or some other euphemism for scam fee.
so if hotel A is $140 a night plus $35 resort fee and a similar hotel is $185 a night with no resort fee, you are forced to stay at the $185 a night hotel.

This is one of the reasons I am thrilled to be self employed.

i also do not understand the ‘ I will never pay a resort fee’ attitudes. As long as you tell me, in advance, what I am paying then I can make an informed decision and i am fine with it.
lougord99 is online now  
Old Jul 2, 19, 6:52 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Posts: 1,808
I generally avoid hotels which charge destination/resort fees. I've not stayed in any this year, BUT, I have stayed in a few which normally charge for parking and have gotten that waived, sometimes proactively by the hotel because they recognize I stay there somewhat often.
KRSW is offline  
Old Jul 2, 19, 7:42 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,177
Curious ... while all things being equal I'll avoid hotels which charge destination/resort fees (which I consider to be deceptive even if disclosed), what do you give as an explanation for getting it waived?
C17PSGR is offline  
Old Jul 2, 19, 8:45 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AC 35K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 331
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Curious ... while all things being equal I'll avoid hotels which charge destination/resort fees (which I consider to be deceptive even if disclosed), what do you give as an explanation for getting it waived?
I think this was already asked and OP still has not answered.
eyeball1 is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 1:38 am
  #37  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by eyeball1 View Post
I think this was already asked and OP still has not answered.
Sorry for the long delay in replying. This is to all that asked what I tell the hotel to get it waived. Basically once I find out if the hotel has a resort fee I call and ask for the front office manager. I tell him or her I am an Ambassador and Lifetime Titanium and I don't want to pay the fee. I explain that other hotels have waived it and I won't be using any of the "stuff" included like wine tastings or whatever. Except for the Cosmo I never had an issue getting it waived. In fact at the NY Times Square Marquis 1 of the assistant managers like 18 months ago offered to waive it for me when I called to go over my room requests. He just brought it up and told me I don't want to pay that fee so he'll waive it. Ever since then I try to be proactive and ask for it to be waived. Some hotels are stingier than others but most if you escalate it high enough and I would assume are a high level Marriott member, will waive it.

Like at the Marquis San Diego they didn't want to waive it but I told them they waive it for me at the Times Square Marquis so then they said okay lol. If I stay a week at $34 a night for a worthless destination fee x 7 that's almost $250 I am saving thank heavens.
Thysk likes this.
mikebor is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 5:14 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United, AF/KLM
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
I guess it is how they define "enhanced," but yes, on further thought, I agree with you. I typically don't stay at properties that impose a resort fee unless the fee combined with the room rate is still a better value. I was unaware of the "replacement" verbage. I will give that a go next time.

I just completed 2, 2 night stays at the Westin Puerto Vallarta which imposes a daily $15 resort fee. I was on a $102 nightly rate with a daily $100 resort credit so I wasn't too concerned about the resort fee. I was even upgraded to a Preium Ocean View, Club level with a Whirlpool on the deck.

James
How did you pull this off/where did you book it? Amex FHR?
Thysk is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 9:10 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Posts: 2,779
Originally Posted by Thysk View Post
How did you pull this off/where did you book it? Amex FHR?
I booked it on Marriott's website. The promotion, IIRC, is available for Mexican & Central American properties and is still ongoing. The nightly credit requires a 2-day minimum stay. Bookings May 1st to June 3rd received a daily $100 credit while bookings June 4th through July 30th receive a daily $75 credit. You can find it under the packages tab in rates.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 9:17 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: DFW
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titatnium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver
Posts: 756
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
I booked it on Marriott's website. The promotion, IIRC, is available for Mexican & Central American properties and is still ongoing. The nightly credit requires a 2-day minimum stay. Bookings May 1st to June 3rd received a daily $100 credit while bookings June 4th through July 30th receive a daily $75 credit. You can find it under the packages tab in rates.

James
That is awesome! I just checked. I wish I knew about this before. I don't think this deal can be beaten
And Westin PVR is a very nice property (I stayed here 7 months ago). They have one of the nicest lounge for Plats and Tits.
DFWsakp is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 10:39 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,674
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My employer won't reimburse resort fees, although I'm not sure what the rule is if it's labeled as a destination fee or some other euphemism for scam fee.

The term "scam fee" sums up mandatory resort fees and mandatory destination fees very well.

I have nothing against optional resort fees. For example, a lakefront resort might offer an option for unlimited rentals of kayaks, bicycles, and other recreational equipment. Some guests will opt for it. Other won't. That's a true resort fee.

Scam fees are another thing entirely. They are not qualifying charges earning Marriott Bonvoy Points. They make the process of choosing a hotel more difficult because they are not included in search results on Marriott.com. Points stays that should be free are no longer free. The list of "benefits" provided by a scam fee almost never adds up to the amount of the fee (and often includes things that should be standard at a resort or full-service hotel anyway). And if you overlook the scam fee during the reservation process, you're in for a rude surprise when you get your folio after your stay.

When a hotel imposes such a scam fee, it's telling me it has no respect for guests. The hotel is telling me to book elsewhere. A hotel with the scam fee doesn't want my business.

This topic is about getting such fees waived, based on Marriott Bonvoy status. I really don't want to plead with the desk agent and then escalate up the management chain until I find someone who agrees to waive the fee just to shut me up. That seems like an unpleasant check-in and a way to initiate a poor relationship with the staff for the rest of the stay.

I wish Marriott would take a leadership role in the hospitality industry by eliminating scam fees and encouraging the rest of the industry to follow.
Horace is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 2:16 pm
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,571
I don’t expect Marriott to be a leader in much. But they could at least be a follower of other hotel chains in eliminating them for some level of loyalty.

Fat chance though.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 4:22 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,947
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
so if hotel A is $140 a night plus $35 resort fee and a similar hotel is $185 a night with no resort fee, you are forced to stay at the $185 a night hotel.

This is one of the reasons I am thrilled to be self employed.

i also do not understand the ‘ I will never pay a resort fee’ attitudes. As long as you tell me, in advance, what I am paying then I can make an informed decision and i am fine with it.
No kidding. Stupid policies trumping common sense are all to common, especially in companies with loads of red tape. I got in trouble for using hotwire instead of concur and saving several grand; glad I'm not there anymore.

Regarding resort fees - if they are mandatory, they should be shown in the upfront price. I absolutely hate clicking in to a hotel rate and then seeing it jump at the end. Then I need to sum up the total, go back to the search page and compare. They are deceptive.
Antarius is offline  
Old Jul 3, 19, 4:29 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Posts: 5,991
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
No kidding. Stupid policies trumping common sense are all to common, especially in companies with loads of red tape. I got in trouble for using hotwire instead of concur and saving several grand; glad I'm not there anymore.

Regarding resort fees - if they are mandatory, they should be shown in the upfront price. I absolutely hate clicking in to a hotel rate and then seeing it jump at the end. Then I need to sum up the total, go back to the search page and compare. They are deceptive.
I am in total agreement with you. Except the resort fees exist and aren't going away. I am not willing to eliminate a hotel because of the resort fee as a 'cut off your nose' move.
Antarius likes this.
lougord99 is online now  
Old Jul 3, 19, 6:05 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 4,947
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
I am in total agreement with you. Except the resort fees exist and aren't going away. I am not willing to eliminate a hotel because of the resort fee as a 'cut off your nose' move.
Yes and no. I wouldn't purposely pay a lot more out of spite and avoid the hotel, but if the prices are even or close, I'll choose the non-resort fee every time.
Antarius is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread