Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fee to empty mini bar fridge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Empty contents into trash can liner, tie the top and then hand it to reception, telling them you didn’t need their help after all.
nequine likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
just carry or wheel the mini bar down to the front desk and tell them you don't need it emptied-you just do not want it in your room because you are a recovering alcoholic, on a diet, with an eating disorder.

//reminds me of when I was a little unhappy with a hotel in room safe. It was not anchored to the wall or furniture at all. The look on guests faces when I carried it in the elevator (locked) under my arm, and set it on the front desk asking if it was secure was priceless.

Expert, I am holding you personally responsible for the coffee sprayed on my iPad screen! I just could prevent myself from laughing out loud as I envisioned you walking down to the desk with the safe under your arm!
MojaveFlyer and musicman27pa like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have a 100% success rate getting those charges removed.
Likewise.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This probably indicates a broader nickel and diming approach to guests - i d stay away from such hotel.
Can you name the property?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Many hotels list 'air conditioning' as a feature in the room.

How many people would be OK if the hotel said "Yes, the room HAS air conditioning- but there is a fee of $50 to actually USE it"

IMO if a hotel lists a fridge as a feature there cannot be an additional fee to use it. (Note listing a 'mini bar- fee applies' is a different story.)

Finally, I have stayed at a few hotels that will bring a second fridge to the room, no charge- if you need it. If you want, tell them you have medications that require refrigeration....iver never had to.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Jun 5, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It's ridiculous to charge for this. But there's a fairly easy solution, although it will be a bit of a hassle at check out.

Just remove enough items so that your water bottles fit. Set them on a table, desk, wherever. On your last day, replace the items, take a picture of the full fridge and stop by the front desk to dispute the charge. They may go to the room to check, so this is why it could be a little annoying. But I've never encountered a problem having a false charge removed for a minibar if all the items are still accounted for.

No need to take the items to the front desk, ask for another refrigerator, ice buckets, or any of the other complicated solutions. I always find it better to go with the easy answer and not ruin my trip by having to prove my point in some dramatic way.
ntamayo, cre95, peroorim and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I am currently staying at the JW on Cannes and was quoted the same fee for clearing the mini bar.

I then asked if I could just keep some items on top of the fridge, they said that was ok. Doesn't make any sense really.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by peroorim
Staying at a Marriott (Bonvoy) autograph in France and was just quoted 50 EUR to empty the mini bar fridge in my room. We wanted to store some water bottles. Is that typical in France?
Not sure about France but I have been quoted this type of charge at hotels in the US quite often.

And if you do as suggested above and show up at the front desk with them they will still charge you and probably not be very nice about it (yes an idiot I worked with acted like the poster suggested. The hotel refused to back down on the charge and I can't say I blame them.... there should probably have been an upcharge for the "you were trying to be a smart XXX" act LOL )
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I am currently staying at the JW on Cannes and was quoted the same fee for clearing the mini bar.

I then asked if I could just keep some items on top of the fridge, they said that was ok. Doesn't make any sense really.
LOL, I can see them saying that they OKed putting a couple of items on top of the fridge - but not any of their items from inside of the fridge!

Kind of like that Pink Panther scene:

Does your dog bite?

No

<Dog mauls inquiring man when he goes to pet pooch>

I thought you said your dog doesn’t bite?!

It’s not my dog.

peroorim likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
LOL. Good one.

Honestly, this is my first JW stay. Actually, this is my first Marriott chain stay. (Been with Starwood for 10 years now). When they said there is a fee to it, I told my wife "it must be a Marriott thing".
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm actually surprised hotels even offer to clear out a minibar even with a fee - its not a fridge for personal use.
Old Hickory likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I'm actually surprised hotels even offer to clear out a minibar even with a fee - its not a fridge for personal use.
If it's not a fridge for personal use, the hotel should say sorry, that fridge is not for personal use. That's more dignified than saying that fridge could be for personal use upon payment of some nonsense fee.
peroorim, KRSW, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
To futherr clarify...there is only one autograph property is paris...it lists BOTH:

mini-Bar for a fee

AND

mini-refrigerator

So- the hotel posts BOTH as amenities.... importantly, they list the minibar as having a fee, since their posting of an ''amenity' can be construed to be a contract, and they dont want people claiming 'they listed a minimar as an included amenity, so I drank it". By then listing a refrige, without a fee, it is -or should be- a free amenity.

Its that simple, in the case of the Paris location. IMO of course
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I have to keep medicine chilled in the room mini bar/fridge and notify the desk at check in NOT to charge me for any items I may have to move for my health issues. That always works for me. Even when it is obvious there are sensors that detect rearranging or removing items.
jfarbstein, wrp96 and FTA like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Fridge use

Originally Posted by peroorim
Staying at a Marriott (Bonvoy) autograph in France and was just quoted 50 EUR to empty the mini bar fridge in my room. We wanted to store some water bottles. Is that typical in France?

just go to the front desk and tell them you need the fridge for the storage of you life saving medicines - works every time
peroorim, musicman27pa and FTA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.