Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by controller1
Really? Do you not have any current Marriott reservations?

It's the boilerplate language on each reservation. The issue is prior to what time of day must the cancellation be made. Here are a couple of examples from my reservations:

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until April 21, 2019 (2 day[s] before arrival).

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until May 13, 2019 (3 day[s] before arrival).

Yes, REALLY.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by clublounger
I think we are all owed a screenshot of what the confirmation email stated as the cancellation policy.

The OP has not been clear or convincing that he cancelled within the allowable timeframe. We are only fed a bunch of what was and what might have. been.

Be forthcoming OP.
Not really the point though, is it? The OP asked if cancelling without penalty was ok and was told yes. I wish my customers were as undemanding as some of the people on this forum are.
wrp96, Kacee, rickg523 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by controller1
The issue is prior to what time of day must the cancellation be made.
Yes it seems deliberately ambiguous. Is it check-in time, 11:59 p.m., or some other time? I've not been bitten yet, but the lack of clarity as to the precise cancel deadline has always made me nervous (and likely caused me to cancel some reservations earlier than I had to).
justforfun, wrp96 and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Alaska
If the decision is up to individual property, Marriott can’t provide a precise time, just like cancellation penalty. It is not up to Marriott to decide without change of contract between Marriott and properties.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The ambiguity is a problem - hotel time or Marriott HQ time and what time of day. Another reason booking at Marriott has left me unsettled and thinking too much about things I shouldn't have to think about. Marriott causes rather than reduces stress too often. That's why I am at a Hyatt tonight.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal
Barring a miraculous change in tune from Marriott, I just finished my last paid stay at Marriott this past week (except where I have no other options - which I know will sometimes happen given Marriott's size).

I had a reservation at a former Starwood hotel. Back in the old days, it had a very clear cancellation policy when I booked it. It would say "You must cancel by 6 PM local time on [Day Before Arrival] to cancel with no fee." Now, all hotels have the incredibly vague "You may cancel your reservation for no charge until [Day Before Arrival] (1 day[s] before arrival)." What does "arrival" mean? Who knows? It isn't defined anywhere in the T&Cs (despite "arrival" showing up everywhere). While still not as clear as Starwood, Marriott could have even used "standard hotel check-in time" which is at least a specified time I can look up for each hotel. Instead, no, it is vague "day of arrival".

As such, I've been unnecessarily stressed whenever I have had to do a late cancel (and I've been avoiding them entirely). Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to change plans (had to switch cities anyways, had the opportunity to stop by home for the night rather than a hotel), but I didn't make these plans until the day before.

When I decided to try to make the change, it was 5:45 PM local time for the hotel - which was very close to the old cut-off window - so just to be safe, I called Marriott reservations (yes, shame on me, I should have called the hotel - but that's not the point). I asked the reservation agent to confirm that I would not be charged a cancellation fee given the current time and she said "yes". I stayed on the phone with her while I cancelled the reservation and asked her again when the app popped up "You may be charged a cancellation fee - continue?" and asked her to confirm again that I would not be charged a cancellation fee - and she did. She promised I would not be charged a cancellation fee. So I cancel, and I booked a new flight (had I not been able to cancel, I would have just flown to the original city I had the reservation in).

The next day, I receive a folio with a cancellation fee. I was surprised given that I was reassured that I would not be charged. I called back to the Reservations line asking them to take care of it given that they had promised I would not be charged. The new agent said that "there is nothing that I can do, but I can ask the hotel to waive the cancellation fee since you're a Platinum member..." It doesn't matter whether I have status - it matters that I was charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't.

But I figure, that's okay, Reservations has no power to fix anything anyway, and this is why I have an Ambassador. I dropped my Ambassador a note to go fix the issue (given the promise of Marriott that I would not be charged a cancellation fee) and assume it will get fixed.

Yesterday evening, I received a note from my Ambassador saying that "unfortunately there is nothing we can do given the cancellation policy stated by the hotel."

I am absolutely flabbergasted. I honestly don't blame the hotel here (which is why I am not reaching out to them directly). Marriott is at fault here, and they should make me whole. They have a vague cancellation policy - so vague their own reservation agents don't know the rules and misinform their customers - and then take so little accountability for that they refuse to make a customer that stays nearly 200 nights at their properties whole.

I am going to escalate this to customer care, and if I do not receive a resolution of this within a few days, I will be contesting the charge with Amex. I have already cancelled all future paid Marriott stays (after this week) and am looking elsewhere. I feel like I've put up with a lot of abuse over the merger in the past year, but this is a straw too far. Unlike Starwood, I don't trust Marriott to protect me as a customer. They only protect the hotels, not me.
Haven't read any other responses to your post yet but I had to chime in. I get your frustration I really do, but the thing you are against doing imo will resolve this for you. You have an Ambassador, you are the highest level of customer. Call the hotel, ask for a manager and explain it to them. I'm willing to bet that they will understand and refund you the cancellation fee. Calling random untrained(sadly) reservation agents imo will get you nowhere and high blood pressure to boot.

On a quick different note - I think your ambassador was terrible in the response and I would ask to speak to their supervisor and change ambassadors after complaining about the lack of assistance. I wouldn't want an ambassador like that.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mikebor
On a quick different note - I think your ambassador was terrible in the response and I would ask to speak to their supervisor and change ambassadors after complaining about the lack of assistance. I wouldn't want an ambassador like that.
It's certainly easier for an ambassador to say "sorry out of luck" than to make the effort necessary to fix the problem. Which is the path Marriott has basically encouraged Ambassadors to take by hopelessly overloading them.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:14 am

Anyone is free to actively avoid spending money at any company. But honestly, you're not going to find a different story at another hotel group. They all operate in the same manner. (Even Starwood when it was Starwood.) They may have different procedures, but any situation that results in loss of income for a hotel requires input from that hotel.

The only ways for a hotel group to become the final arbiter on policy overrides at hotels is if they change franchise agreements or own all their hotels. Neither of those scenarios are realistic.

Note: I was referring to policy overrides, not the way cancelation deadlines are displayed.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Apr 15, 2019 at 6:24 pm Reason: Added clarification.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's certainly easier for an ambassador to say "sorry out of luck" than to make the effort necessary to fix the problem. Which is the path Marriott has basically encouraged Ambassadors to take by hopelessly overloading them.
Easier maybe but believe me there are plenty of ambassadors who would not respond that way. In my opinion, to save this member more heartache moving forward he should ask for a new ambassador immediately and speak to the supervisor.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:12 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Marriot is a mess full of inexperienced agents when I want something done I call the hotel.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Anyone is free to actively avoid spending money at any company. But honestly, you're not going to find a different story at another hotel group. They all operate in the same manner. (Even Starwood when it was Starwood.) They may have different procedures, but any situation that results in loss of income for a hotel requires input from that hotel.

The only ways for a hotel group to become the final arbiter on policy overrides at hotels is if they change franchise agreements or own all their hotels. Neither of those scenarios are realistic.
Starwood had a very specific time and date on when a flexible reservation becomes non-refundable.

So if the cancellation policy was cancel before 3:00 PM on April 14, 2019 to avoid penalties, then it means exactly just that.

Not some ambiguous BS we have right now where even employees of Marriott have no clue what the cancellation policy is.

And actually SPG had a very customer/guest focused environment in their call centres than what we have now.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:15 am
kkl

Call up customer service and they can give you an exact time to cancel by.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by kkl
Call up customer service and they can give you an exact time to cancel by.
I’ve not tried this recently, but I would suspect it to be extremely unlikely that customer service would give you anything that would align with the property’s expectations.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:02 am

Honestly, this isn’t going to get any better with another chain, especially if a corporate travel desk or platform is involved. My Concur reservations across the various chains often show different cancelation deadlines in the Concur platform and emails versus the native hotel chain websites or apps. I know that it is probably just a matter of time until I get bitten.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond
This sucks.

As a point of reference, I had a similar situation with Hilton but one call fixed it. Notable differences:
1) I canceled after the deadline.
2) I had already checked in online and had digital key
3) I am only Hilton Gold

i was prepared to pay, but the Hilton rep handled it with the hotel in minutes while I waited on hold.

get you a loyalty program that will work with you when things happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.