Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for me to move on - charged a cancellation fee after being told I wouldn't

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:07 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is absolutely false. Marriott is the only major chain that does not clearly state the time of day by which a reservation must be canceled to avoid charge.
I wouldn't be so sure of that anymore, Hilton seems to be joining the bandwagon: Hilton confirmations no longer include cancellation terms
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I wouldn't be so sure of that anymore, Hilton seems to be joining the bandwagon: Hilton confirmations no longer include cancellation terms
So what? Here's what the Hilton website shows for an existing award reservation:
Free cancellation before 11:59pm local hotel time on 25 Sep 2019.
I just made a dummy booking at Hilton Waikiki and here's what the website displayed:
Free cancellation before 11:59 PM local hotel time on 19 Apr 2019.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I was thinking of this earlier. It's come up once or twice in re Delta (which has a midnight cancellation deadline, but where that can be a bit problematic if one booked from Los Angeles but is flying out of New York...does midnight New York or Los Angeles govern?).
Delta's ticketing server is on pacific time so that's the time zone it goes by, both for issue date as well as risk free cancel inclusive date

Starwood was also local hotel time; i have found this to be the case with Marriott as well, and if the app ever threatens a cancel fee, I abandon and call either Marriott or the hotel to ensure it is properly waived
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
So what? Here's what the Hilton website shows for an existing award reservation:

I just made a dummy booking at Hilton Waikiki and here's what the website displayed:
Which would be relevant, if that's what my post was about. Instead, it's about confirmation emails for new reservations no longer showing a cancellation deadline, but instead some variation of:

Edit: For comparison, the confirmation emails used to be clear like:

Last edited by Beltway2A; Apr 14, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by rickg523
That's how I read it. Before coming across this thread, in all its glory.
Now I'm not so sure. If I'm on road trip with a teenager and say, for example "You're legal to drive until Nebraska" doesn't that mean "up to"? Wouldn't the equivalent in time mean "up to Tuesday"?
More to the point, isn't it a certainty that if the hotel decided to interpret it that way, Marriott corporate is just going to shrug and take the position "yep, whatever they say" (as long as doesn't directly cost Marriott any money)?
I think the more relevant question is "What is my credit card going to say in a chargeback fight?" Even if one is inclined to prefer one of Marriott's CCs for the stay itself, I would be inclined to use a card I felt was going to be consumer-friendly for the initial guarantee (or, for that matter, one with travel insurance built in if the issue is a flight schedule getting wrecked). To be clear, I have absolutely no compunctions stabbing a hotel that is playing stupid games with this with a chargeback.

As to the teenager example (it is a decent example, btw), I could see that as being "You're good to drive until [we get to] Nebraska". Or I could see it as "You're good to drive [through Illinois and Iowa and] until [we get [i]through] Nebraska[, but you're going to need to hand over the wheel before we enter Colorado]." Brackets being the implied text. Context would be key. The problem is that a whiny teenager being unexpectedly told to hand over the keys at Council Bluffs because Dad phrased things badly isn't someone who is entangled in a contract with a hotel that might try to hose him for an indefinite amount of money by being deliberately ambiguous.

Edit: To be fair, there are other times when signs of this neglect shows up, such as "The time for cancelling this reservation has passed" with a non-refundable reservation. Well, no .... Sherlock...it's a non-refundable reservation, why don't you just say "As a non-refundable reservation..." rather than using arguably irrelevant boilerplate language?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I did some research on the Marriott cancellation policy and you have until 11:59 pm HOTEL TIME, on the date identified in the cancellation verbiage. My friends and I also did some research on when the date rolls over for prepaid rates when you have to cancel by end of next day. For properties in Europe, ME, Asia and Oceania, the date seems to roll over at 00:00 GMT. For the Americas, I haven't bothered to see whether it's eastern, central, mountain or pacific time, but I'm guessing it's one of those.
flyme2, damon88, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Which would be relevant, if that's what my post was about. Instead, it's about confirmation emails for new reservations no longer showing a cancellation deadline
Again, so what? If my online reservation and the app both show the specific cancel time (which they do), I really don't care whether that detail is also in the email confirm. If I need a writing, I'll just print the online reservation or screenshot the app.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I did some research on the Marriott cancellation policy and you have until 11:59 pm HOTEL TIME, on the date identified in the cancellation verbiage. My friends and I also did some research on when the date rolls over for prepaid rates when you have to cancel by end of next day. For properties in Europe, ME, Asia and Oceania, the date seems to roll over at 00:00 GMT. For the Americas, I haven't bothered to see whether it's eastern, central, mountain or pacific time, but I'm guessing it's one of those.
This is great.. but is there a reference to this anywhere? When I did a cursory scan on the Marriott website and relevant T&Cs I did not find anything on this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ethernal
This is great.. but is there a reference to this anywhere? When I did a cursory scan on the Marriott website and relevant T&Cs I did not find anything on this.
I called and the agent wasn’t sure but she double checked with a supervisor. Seems to agree with my experience.

I agree with everyone here, there is no need for Marriott to make it so confusing. Starwood always specified the date and cancellation time (4 pm or 6 pm).
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Again, so what? If my online reservation and the app both show the specific cancel time (which they do), I really don't care whether that detail is also in the email confirm. If I need a writing, I'll just print the online reservation or screenshot the app.
The problem is that Starriott reservations can change in the website/app version, but your reservation's terms should be those at the time you booked.

For example, I recently had a reservation for a stay during a particularly busy time and it was the usual refundable up to 2-3 days before arrival terms. At some point within a couple months of making the booking (I didn't check it regularly on the Starriott website) but more than a month before my arrival, I noticed that the terms that appeared when I looked at the reservation online, while logged into my account, had drastically changed and it now said that it was nonrefundable a day after the reservation was made. I had a normal rate plan that didn't use nonrefundable terms, but apparently the property decided that all of their reservations during the busy time would be unilaterally declared to be nonrefundable. It could have been a big expensive problem if I hadn't had the email confirmation detailing the cancellation policy that was in effect at the time that I made the reservation.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
It is relevant insofar as if I book by some method other than my laptop I might not have the ability to store that (or, if I book over the phone, I might not even have anything that I can take a screenshot of). And yes, if the website is acting up, this is sometimes necessary. Ditto if I'm stitching together parts of a reservation while at an airport or somewhere else that the laptop doesn't quite work for.

And though there are ways of working around it, having the email have the details means that I don't have to go chasing up that screenshot if things go haywire.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:51 am

I asked once on Twitter and this was their answer:

Hello, thanks for reaching out. We just had a look at we found the cancellation policy. This says that you may cancel your reservation for no charge until January 13, 2019 . More specifically at 00.01 AM hotel time on January 13th.
TechnoTourist likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
It is relevant insofar as if I book by some method other than my laptop I might not have the ability to store that (or, if I book over the phone, I might not even have anything that I can take a screenshot of). And yes, if the website is acting up, this is sometimes necessary. Ditto if I'm stitching together parts of a reservation while at an airport or somewhere else that the laptop doesn't quite work for.
You don't have the app on your phone? Please, come join the 21st century
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by santydrak
I asked once on Twitter and this was their answer:

Hello, thanks for reaching out. We just had a look at we found the cancellation policy. This says that you may cancel your reservation for no charge until January 13, 2019 . More specifically at 00.01 AM hotel time on January 13th.
Maybe a reply tweet asking where he/she "...found the cancellation policy?"
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Maybe a reply tweet asking where he/she "...found the cancellation policy?"
sorry I didn’t specify before. I was asking when EXACTLY a cancellation policy was ending (what time) .. as it wasn’t clear from the cancellation policy (same as OP) and that was their answer. I imagine it’s the same policy for all the hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.