Search

How to identify a Vistana resort?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone underground!
How to identify a Vistana resort?

Hi All,
Probably easy answer... but is there an easy way to identify a Vistana property if "vistana" isn't in the property's name or description?

I made a reservation to stay at the Steamboat Sheraton. I made the unfortunate discovery on arrival that it's a Vistana property. I feel pretty cheesed off that I don't get any sort of lounge/breakfast benefit (aside from using it as an amenity... and end up with just a continental breakfast).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by emma dog
Hi All,
Probably easy answer... but is there an easy way to identify a Vistana property if "vistana" isn't in the property's name or description?

I made a reservation to stay at the Steamboat Sheraton. I made the unfortunate discovery on arrival that it's a Vistana property. I feel pretty cheesed off that I don't get any sort of lounge/breakfast benefit (aside from using it as an amenity... and end up with just a continental breakfast).
This is a big flaw with Marriott.com.

If you look at the Marriott.com entry for the Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas, it shows a Sheraton logo, and the top line shows the brand as Sheraton. A Marriott Bonvoy member making a reservation would have every reason to believe that the property is a Sheraton, with the usual terms & conditions — and elite benefits — that apply to the Sheraton brand:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...resort-villas/

But it's really a Vistana Signature Experiences property, which you wouldn't know unless you somehow stumbled onto this page:

https://www.vistana.com/destinations...illas/overview

In comparison, if you look at the Marriott.com entries for Marriott Vacation Club or MVC Pulse properties, you'll see the Marriott Vacation Club or MVC Pulse logo:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-coast-villas/

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...lse-san-diego/

Marriott needs to fix how Marriott.com displays Vistana properties.
KRSW and Batman's brother like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
The way I found out the Westin Princeville was actually a Vistana and as such doesn't honour upgrades......... E-mail before booking.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Horace
But it's really a Vistana Signature Experiences property, which you wouldn't know unless you somehow stumbled onto this page:

https://www.vistana.com/destinations...illas/overview
To answer OP's question, though -- the pull-down "Destinations" menu on that page appears to contain a full list of the properties. Currently:
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all!

This is definitely a dissatisfier in Marriott’s IT. The front desk in steamboat argued with me, saying I should have known. I pulled up the app and my reservation and asked where it said this wasn’t a “real” Sheraton. Despite them acknowledging it isn’t anywhere to be found, I didn’t get any points, lounge access, or room upgrade.
itsaboutthejourney and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace

Marriott needs to fix how Marriott.com displays Vistana properties.
Agree. When I'm updating the exec lounge sticky I ignore the MVCI properties, but didn't realize some of the SPG properties I listed were actually Vistana properties because no mention of time share. Perhaps someone can mention it to the Lurkers to mention it to IT.

Thanks. I went back to the exec lounge sticky & deleted the properties listed above (well, with the exception of 2 which we've had reports of breakfast on, which confuses me even further).

Cheers.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thanks all!

This is definitely a dissatisfier in Marriott’s IT. The front desk in steamboat argued with me, saying I should have known. I pulled up the app and my reservation and asked where it said this wasn’t a “real” Sheraton. Despite them acknowledging it isn’t anywhere to be found, I didn’t get any points, lounge access, or room upgrade.
#Bonvoyed

I'd also suggest the you make your thoughts known when Marriott has people in the lobbies of regular hotels hawking these timeshares or "Marriott Vacation Klubs".
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Slightly OT, but outside of North America, there are some legacy Starwood hotels located within (and sharing some facilities with) large timeshare developments. It doesn't seem to affect on property benefits (beyond the fact that they're classified as resorts), but people might want to know as the presence of so many time share units does impact the atmosphere and can cause unanticipated crowding.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:31 pm

You can usually tell by the invitation to the high-pressure sales show upon check-in.
rt23456p and gojko88 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
I got one of these invitation offers 5 nights at the Sheraton Kauai for a discounted price. I figure the answer is no, but I thought I would ask. Do these nights count toward Bonvoy qualification? Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

Thanks all!

Just to confirm: you didn't get points at all? I always thought these properties didn't provide elite benefits (breakfast, upgrades) but did give night credits/points. I could be wrong and just checking for future reference. Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:30 pm

Only the following Vistana properties participate in the Loyalty Program. Properties that participate provide limited on-property benefits.● Phoenician, Residences, a Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale - earning partner for Elite Night Credit (as defined by 2.1.a.) only; no Points redemption and no Points or Miles earning● Sheraton Broadway Plantation Resort Villas● Sheraton Desert Oasis Villas, Scottsdale● Sheraton Kauai Resort● Sheraton Lakeside Terrace Villas at Mountain Vista, Avon, Vail Valley● Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas, Avon/Vail Valley● Sheraton PGA Vacation Resort, Port St. Lucie● Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas● Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas, Lake Buena Vista/Orlando● Sheraton Vistana Villages Resort Villas, I-Drive/Orlando● St. Regis Residence Club, Aspen – earning partner for Elite Night Credit (as defined by 2.1.a.) only; no Points redemption and no Points or Miles earning● St. Regis Residence Club, New York – earning partner for Elite Night Credit (as defined by 2.1.a.) only; no Points redemption and no Points or Miles earning● The Westin Desert Willow Villas, Palm Desert● The Westin Ka'anapali North Villas● The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas● The Westin Kierland Villas● The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun● The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa● The Westin Mission Hills Resort Villas, Palm Springs● The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Ka'anapali● The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas● The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, Beaver Creek Mountain● The Westin St. John Resort & Villas● Vistana Beach Club
Due to the nature of Vistana properties, special conditions apply to their participation in the Loyalty Program as follows:i. Members will earn Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay at Vistana properties.ii. Members will earn Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges at Vistana properties.iii. Members do not receive the following benefits (as defined in Section 4) at Vistana properties: Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades, late checkout, Suite Night Awards, Gift Shop Discount, Guaranteed Room Type, Marriott Bonvoy Events, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, or Your24.iv. Free Night Awards at Vistana properties must be booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival.v. Instant Redemption Awards are not available at Vistana properties.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Apr 25, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I was annoyed to learn this AFTER booking Westin St John and clicking through a few links in on the web page

https://www.vistana.com/destinations...transportation

Buried in the link it states:

Marriott Bonvoy™ program may be earned for qualified charges at the resort. As a villa property, we are unable to offer select Marriott Bonvoy™ Member benefits for ownership reservations, including complimentary room upgrades, Suite Night Awards™, priority late check-out, Your24™, and Gold Elite and Platinum Elite welcome gifts.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Just to confirm: you didn't get points at all? I always thought these properties didn't provide elite benefits (breakfast, upgrades) but did give night credits/points. I could be wrong and just checking for future reference. Thanks
I received points for my bill and I also received night credit. I received what one is due for a Vistana reservation.

Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I think this is a huge issue that more people should be talking about because it's unacceptable. At least Marriott brands its legacy timeshare properties as Marriott Vacation Club. Calling it a Westin or Sheraton when it isn't is deceptive. At the very minimum, the properties should be called the Vistana Westin or Vistana Sheraton to denote it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.