Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
JW is a good location, although it's a high crime area.
the JW is right on Copacabana where there are tons of people 24x7.

I felt it was very safe.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Antarius
the JW is right on Copacabana where there are tons of people 24x7.

I felt it was very safe.
......and I know a couple who were robbed at gunpoint on the beach there, and it wasn't after dark when it happened. I know someone else who was robbed at gunpoint on a nice residential street a couple blocks from the Copacabana Palace. Still, I'm not suggesting that the area around the Sheraton is safe(r). YMMV.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:05 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
......and I know a couple who were robbed at gunpoint on the beach there, and it wasn't after dark when it happened. I know someone else who was robbed at gunpoint on a nice residential street a couple blocks from the Copacabana Palace. Still, I'm not suggesting that the area around the Sheraton is safe(r). YMMV.
Someone tried to pick pocket me outside the Copacabana palace, without going off topic about Rio, it is indeed not a safe place. It's a touristy area and criminals know that and that's where they'll be.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I've stayed at the JW twice and thoroughly enjoyed both stays. The location is superb, which matters more than room size when visiting Rio in my opinion.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Rio de Janeiro

Forgive me if there is already a thread about this subject.

Looking to head to Rio for Carnival and was curious how the Marriott properties there compare?

I was personally looking at the JW and Sheraton.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...raton-rio.html
FlyingFrZ likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 10:14 am

Thanks for this
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Any updates available? Have tentative plans to be there in January. Looking at Sheraton and JW. But native Brazilian in the group is again staying there because of the proximity to Flavela. It's not my first time seeing the less than desirable places while traveling. I just don't want to be in the "think of things" in Ipanema or Copacabana. In fact, I actually don't really want to go but it's a work trip for COVID-19. It's not like it's a vacation. But it will be my first time in Rio, the experience will shape my memory. Hmmm..
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Any updates available? Have tentative plans to be there in January. Looking at Sheraton and JW. But native Brazilian in the group is again staying there because of the proximity to Flavela. It's not my first time seeing the less than desirable places while traveling. I just don't want to be in the "think of things" in Ipanema or Copacabana. In fact, I actually don't really want to go but it's a work trip for COVID-19. It's not like it's a vacation. But it will be my first time in Rio, the experience will shape my memory. Hmmm..
Well the JW in right on Copacabana so if you want to avoid that area you don't want to stay there.

​​​​
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Well, you definitely will be in the ‘thick of things’ at the JW and hidden from it all at the Sheraton, provided you just stay put in your hotel. By the way, you will probably not have to see the nearby slums from your room in either hotel. And if you take taxis or Uber you should be ok – just keep your eyes (and nostrils) closed on the way in from the airport.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:50 am

Thanks for the updates @FlyingFrZ and @ajnaro

I just confirmed before seeing your posts that my Brazilian friend relented and suggest that we stay at JW after exploration of the two hotels he was advocating turned out to be more expensive than the JW.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
The Sheraton, while near the Rocina favela, is a separate property and a few blocks from the entrance to Rocina. There is literally no crossover. For safety's sake I'd take Ubers in and out of the Sheraton (actually, I'd probably still walk from the Sheraton the 15-30 minutes to Leblon/Ipanema, or take a bus, but then again I wear flip flops and a tank top, and don't carry cash or a new phone or jewelry. Don't carry anything I'd ever mind losing.
Never have any issues in Brazil. Anyone anytime could, but there are strategies to minimize the risk.
I'd prefer to stay in Ipanema or Leblon vs. Copa, just barely. Copa is a little more gritty, but also has more affordable hotels.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 7:29 pm

Thanks FT Peeps.... It appears that the JW will be the place to call "home during my 10-14" anticipated stay in Rio in a few weeks.

My only concern at the moment is that if I want/plan to quarantine in my room, I'm SOL. Even booking a deluxe/suite doesn't offer may be a private balcony to have some outside time over a view of the ocean/beach areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.