FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963396-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-rio-de-janeiro-brazil.html)

schley Jun 19, 2011 4:14 am

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Any updates? will be going to Rio the end of August.

GetSetJetSet Mar 31, 2019 3:56 pm

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Rio de Janeiro

Looks like the JW is in Copa and Sheraton is in Leblon. Sheraton looks a bit isolated. The rooms at the JW don't look very nice, and arguably look worse than the rooms at the Sheraton, but as mentioned the Sheraton seems like it might be a bit isolated. However, the private beach looks nice. Any input? I have never stayed at an SPG/Marriott property in Rio before. Previous visits were at the Copacabana Palace and Fasano, neither of which were impressive, and both of which are 2x the price of the Bonvoy properties for my dates.

MSPeconomist Mar 31, 2019 4:00 pm

IIRC Sheraton Rio is closed due to flood damage.

JW is a good location, although it's a high crime area.

The new Grand Hyatt is wonderful, but it's out in Barra. It would probably be a bit more expensive than the JW, but not a lot.

Xeno Mar 31, 2019 4:34 pm

Here is a relevant thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-thread.html

bitterproffit Mar 31, 2019 4:40 pm

I’ve stayed at the Sheraton but it was a long time ago. It felt isolated from Leblon. Busy road and windy curves. Nice beach but didn’t trust the cleanliness of the ocean at that location

GetSetJetSet Mar 31, 2019 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30950228)
IIRC Sheraton Rio is closed due to flood damage.

JW is a good location, although it's a high crime area.

The new Grand Hyatt is wonderful, but it's out in Barra. It would probably be a bit more expensive than the JW, but not a lot.

Grand Hyatt is actually cheaper for my dates, but i'm looking to rack up some Bonvoy nights while in Rio.

RafKa Mar 31, 2019 6:13 pm

I haven't stayed at the JW, but I've had a few stays at the Sheraton over the last couple of years and until recently lived just a few blocks from the JW.

I'd pick the Sheraton: the pools are nice and it has a resort feel. Great lounge and the plat breakfast at the lounge is actually superior to that of the main restaurant.

Beach is polluted though, and the location is a little isolated but in reality a 5 min cheap Uber ride from all the hotspots in leblon.

OTPorBust Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm

Sheraton Rio

Was a few years ago, but I had no issues. I did not go in the water, I stayed by the pool, looked at the ocean and drank coconut water and smoked cigars. Breakfast was great and people were nice. I did not walk to town, while possible, we took cabs etc. Not sure I would want to have stayed in the copa, Sheraton was quiet, and seemed like the action was not stop in the copa area

anaggie Mar 31, 2019 6:29 pm

The JW is a typical Brazilian hotel with Brazilian hospitality. Rooms are small and the WiFi is good. Breakfast down at the restaurant is a typical breakfast found all over Brazil. Lounge is small and gets crowded in the evenings.

Do not expect standard JW quality here. The area around the hotel doesn’t seem like a high crime area as I walk to the restaurants all day and don’t see any issues.

RafKa Mar 31, 2019 7:25 pm

Duplicate

macdonaldj2 Mar 31, 2019 7:45 pm

Staying in Barra is only good if you plan on staying out there or doing business out there, it's a very long ride into Rio proper.

GetSetJetSet Mar 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2 (Post 30950765)
Staying in Barra is only good if you plan on staying out there or doing business out there, it's a very long ride into Rio proper.

agreed

ajeleonard Apr 1, 2019 3:13 am

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2 (Post 30950765)

But... the quality/price proposition of hotels out there is far more attractive than Zona Sul. It's a tradeoff.

RooseveltL Apr 1, 2019 7:59 am

I've stayed both + newer Hilton in Barra & Hilton in Copa and adjacent to the JW Marriott = Mercure. Really depends on your needs and destination.
Some are newer with bigger rooms.

Your trade off is location vs. what hotel amenities you desire.
Sheraton - probably better amenities and space (if open)
Hilton Barra is newest and cheaper but far from anything (besides a mall) unless your driving
Beachfront with crowds (people watching probably not ideal to go into the water) - Hilton Copa or JW. Or very much cheaper alternate Mercure next door to it.

I might go so far to say combine both - as on Sunday you want to be beachfront.

schley Apr 1, 2019 10:30 am

I have either rented an apartment or stayed at the Sheraton. I like the service and rooms at the Sheraton. Haven't stayed at the JW, but will be an option next time perhaps.