Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
But you weren't even a no-show. You were a late arrival due to travel circumstances beyond your control who informed the property and was willing to pay for the entire stay. This is utter bs.
groenroos likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by hotelboy
The St. Regis is just following its contract you agreed to when you accepted the terms and conditions. You had ample opportunity to cancel before hand if you did not like the terms they were offering. What would have happened if somehow you did get to Aspen and they had sold your room?
The terms changed, which is the point you appear to missing here again and again.

The hotel preferred $1K no show rather than the internal payout for the award stay.

Greedy.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
The hotel does not get paid in points until the guest arrives. If the guest does not arrive the hotel is not paid.
Fake news.

If the OP checked in at 11 am on the second day, then the its part of the first night. Period.

This is why in Europe hotels regularly advise guests to book the previous night if they want a guaranteed early morning check-in.
frequented likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
The hotel does not get paid in points until the guest arrives. If the guest does not arrive the hotel is not paid.
But the OP did arrive—OP simply did so later than expected due to an unforeseen and unexpected delay that was not OP's fault. I don't see why the hotel couldn't have checked OP in when OP called, or advised OP to check in via the app.

Also, do the cancellation terms and conditions actually disclose the charge for arriving late, or do they simply disclose the amount for a complete no show? If only the latter, I'm not sure there's a leg to stand on for charging $1000/night for arriving a day late.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
You are pointing out the processes of the hotel company that create the situation experienced by the OP.

IF true, then the hotel should fix its procedures which cause customer dissatisfaction. Or customers should go elsewhere with better policies and procedures.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Fake news.

If the OP checked in at 11 am on the second day, then the its part of the first night. Period.

This is why in Europe hotels regularly advise guests to book the previous night if they want a guaranteed early morning check-in.
This would not work with the Marriott system unless you call ahead and persuade the hotel to retain your booking. Since the merger it’s once happened to me (the hotel recovered the situation) and i once checked in to someone else who had the same problem: they arrived around 7am by which point their multi-night stay had been cancelled from the system. It’s a lot like airlines which will cancel a 20-leg ticket if you miss any one flight.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
The St. Regis is just following its contract you agreed to when you accepted the terms and conditions. You had ample opportunity to cancel before hand if you did not like the terms they were offering. What would have happened if somehow you did get to Aspen and they had sold your room?
They had already sold the room and received payment, how you justify the receiving further payment because they chose not to use the room on the first night makes no sense whatsoever.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by User Name
Ts&Cs or not, it’s ridiculous. The room had already been paid for once, so why the need to pay a second time? I’d give the hotel 5 days to refund and then if they haven’t, initiate a chargeback. Let’s see what the credit card company thinks of this.
that’s all.

Room had already been paid. What money do the hotel have lost ? Nothing.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by geminidreams
They had already sold the room and received payment, how you justify the receiving further payment because they chose not to use the room on the first night makes no sense whatsoever.
In case that you did not notice, points for 1st night were refunded, for both rooms.

I believe that the hotel takes advantage of TnCs to charge no-show fee instead, simply because the hotel does not like award stays. Of course the hotel can choose to act differently, but that's not beneficial to the hotel apparently.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
In case that you did not notice, points for 1st night were refunded, for both rooms.

I believe that the hotel takes advantage of TnCs to charge no-show fee instead, simply because the hotel does not like award stays. Of course the hotel can choose to act differently, but that's not beneficial to the hotel apparently.
He did not request a refund he just notified them of a late arrival.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, NZ Gold, BA Gold
Just another reason not to use Marriot anymore! They are a complete shambles and this is taking the piss completely. Report it to your CC and mark it as fraud. Let Marriot come after you if they wish.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by geminidreams
He did not request a refund he just notified them of a late arrival.
You said the hotel received payment. That's not true. Marriott refunded 1st night, so technically, the hotel was not paid by Marriott for the 1st night.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
I think this hotel should just leave Marriott and become independent. They don't want people staying on points, they don't care about loyalty, they give as little as they can in term of benefits, and now that... It's not like you need to be part of Marriott to sell your room when you are the 2nd or 3rd closest hotel to the slopes in Aspen...
Honestly, presuming that these two threads are separate incidents (which all evidence suggests) are part of a pattern, I don't think Marriott should give them the choice.

By the way, per the other thread...it is possible that a stand-alone incident would get ignored. If they get socked by a half-dozen such cases, there does come a point when Corporate can probably say "No, we don't think these are all just "a big misunderstanding".
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
You said the hotel received payment. That's not true. Marriott refunded 1st night, so technically, the hotel was not paid by Marriott for the 1st night.
There is a difference between asking for the night to be credited back and the hotel unilaterally reimbursing the points so they could charge a cash fee 3 times the value of the points. The first did not happen so the hotel was paid, the second did happen which in most peoples minds would amount to fraud.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by s0ssos
"We would also like to bring to your attention that a 30-day cancellation policy is in effect for the dates of your reservation. If changes are required within 30 days of your arrival date, cancellation penalties and additional fees may apply. Due to our remote resort destination we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance. Please note that a monetary fee will be assessed in the event of a cancelation within 30 days prior to arrival in the amount of $2,000."

This is from their very friendly welcome email.
Except he didn't cancel. He showed up, albeit late.

This is really no different than booking a room for Friday night in London and never showing up because your flight doesn't arrive until 7 a.m. Saturday, but you had to book an extra night to ensure you had a hotel room available when you arrived bright and early Saturday morning.
AbyssalLoris likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.