Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2022, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by GarudaSoars
My understanding is that purchasing the gift card online gives you 6X points on the purchase but does not qualify for the $300 statement credit. The $300 statement credit can only be attained by purchasing the gift card at a Marriott hotel.

All those who applied and got approved for the Amex SPG Luxury Card (now called the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant) on the very first day that it was made available which is August 23 2018 will have their $300 credit for this year available Aug 23-Aug 24 and essentially have less than one month to trigger it for this year.
Scroll up in the thread, plenty of people report it working. I have never done it personally though. If you are nervous maybe buy a $25 and see if it works before buying more
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
My understanding is that purchasing the gift card online gives you 6X points on the purchase but does not qualify for the $300 statement credit. The $300 statement credit can only be attained by purchasing the gift card at a Marriott hotel.
Not true. There are many reports in this thread of online GC purchases triggering the credit. I did it successfully a few weeks ago. It took 3-5 days for the credit to show up after the GC purchase.
GarudaSoars likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Not true. There are many reports in this thread of online GC purchases triggering the credit. I did it successfully a few weeks ago. It took 3-5 days for the credit to show up after the GC purchase.
Thank you for letting me know. Glad to hear it works!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
buying $300 gc works -- it will trigger the credit
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by WrightHI
As noted above and a few other times, online GC purchase has worked for the $300 credit. It does not work for the Amex spend credit, such as spend $200 and receive a $50 credit. These need to take place in a hotel, but you could then double dip the two credits.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
All those who applied and got approved for the Amex SPG Luxury Card (now called the Amex Bonvoy Brilliant) on the very first day that it was made available which is August 23, 2018, will have their $300 credit for this year available Aug 23-Aug 24 and essentially have less than one month to trigger it for this year.
I got two of these on the first day that AMEX made it available; P1 & P2. Trying to get $300 x2 from AMEX before it is too late.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Schnit
Yeah, bad timing on your part. If you were to open a new card today, you could use the $300 in August or September and then get the restaurant credit starting in October. So close to 600 in credits
OK, in an interesting twist, my cardmember annual fee is usually charged ~October 17 of each year. However, I asked the CSR and my actual cardmember anniversary is September 18. I’ve already used all of my $300 credit this year.

I felt a little too greedy to be asking the CSR how to maximize the system, but now it seems that I actually have the slimmest of slim windows to double dip by charging $300 in Marriott expenses by September 21.

What would you all do in this case? Buy a gift card? My worry with a gift card is whether charge my card right away, or if there’s a delay. Go to a Marriott hotel and ask them to charge something to my card that day?

Last edited by bryanb; Sep 25, 2022 at 12:10 am Reason: Removed some specific info for privacy.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:51 am

Priority Pass Priviledge validity from Amex Bonvoy Brilliant

I am looking to switch to a different Amex card shortly after my anniversary. Currently I have the Bonvoy Brilliant, is the priority pass priviledge extended for an extra year (ie another membership year) after I paid my membership fee? What happens if I switch to a different product after my anniversary date? Do I still get Priority Pass access? Also, do they prorate the annual membership fee accordingly?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LHR king
I am looking to switch to a different Amex card shortly after my anniversary. Currently I have the Bonvoy Brilliant, is the priority pass priviledge extended for an extra year (ie another membership year) after I paid my membership fee? What happens if I switch to a different product after my anniversary date? Do I still get Priority Pass access? Also, do they prorate the annual membership fee accordingly?
AMEX products aren't mix-and-match. The only downgrade path for a Brilliant is the $95 AMEX Bonvoy card (formerly the SPG card, not open to new applicants). It doesn't include Priority Pass. Your AF will be prorated.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
If you get rid of the card, Priority Pass goes away is my understanding. You aren’t buying a year of Priority Pass, you’re buying a membership to the card, and one of the perks happens to be Priority Pass. They’ll also cancel your complimentary Gold status (if applicable) or not let you get the $300 resort credit or monthly meal credits, etc.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I can confirm that priority pass access end immediately.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:58 pm

But if you downgrade after you get your free night, you will keep the 50k certificate, it wont change to a 35k certificate.

If you use your 300 Marriott credit (depending on if it renews before 9/22) and then downgrade, just be careful, AMEX might not be happy
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
I am worried there are shenanigans with a transaction from last week where it doesn't know that a particular Autograph Collection hotel is such, because it shows as "2x points/Other Purchases" and so far no credit toward the $300 Bonvoy credit which is fully available at this point. Chatting with AMEX got nowhere really--they said that it always takes a month for the proper points to post as the hotel folio is finalized, etc. etc. etc. but this is for a charge that has cleared and posted. I am nervous that it showing 2x points for other purchases, not 6x points for Bonvoy stay, shows that they don't have the hotel properly coded somewhere. I have the bill copy from Marriott, the key card holders with Bonvoy Elite logo, the past stay showing in the Marriott app and web site...it is clearly a Bonvoy participating property. Is it really a thing for the 2x points thing to later say 6x points?
I don't want it to linger forever because they are ending the $300 credit in September and I'd like that to post well before that--but first they have to see that it is a Bonvoy property in the first place! Sigh.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 9:42 pm

How long ago was your stay? I had a stay completed on the 8th and it is showing 6x points for the hotel restaurant I ate at on the 6th but showing no rewards info ("You'll be able to see Rewards information for an eligible charge within 5 days of the charge posting to your account. Please check back later.") for the stay itself. I would press the issue if it's showing 2x other.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
How long ago was your stay? I had a stay completed on the 8th and it is showing 6x points for the hotel restaurant I ate at on the 6th but showing no rewards info ("You'll be able to see Rewards information for an eligible charge within 5 days of the charge posting to your account. Please check back later.") for the stay itself. I would press the issue if it's showing 2x other.
A week ago and it had done the typical thing with no reward point info for a few days and now is showing 2x/other purchases so I am sure that they screwed it up and that (1) it won't credit 6x points on its own and (2) it won't trigger the $300 credit on its own either, #2 being the bigger deal.
The property's facebook page has more-than-weekly posts touting its Bonvoy benefits and membership, so maybe I can get them to help me if AMEX balks. It should be seamless and appears to be not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.