Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moving points between accounts (General Discussion Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
Latest Rules (taken from Marriott Rewards T&Cs): https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#earn

Transferring Points from One Account to Another

2.8.a. In accordance with the conditions for transferring Points as described in Section 1.6.c., a Member can transfer up to a maximum of 100,000 Points per calendar year to another Membership Account as long as both Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60) days. A Member can receive up to a maximum of 500,000 Points per calendar year from other Membership Accounts as long as the Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60 days).

2.8.b. A new Member may receive a Points Transfer thirty (30) days after enrollment if the Account reflects activity including a Qualifying Stay or other qualifying activity as described in Section 1.6.d. After ninety (90) days from enrollment, a new Member is eligible to receive a Points Transfer regardless of their account activity.

2.8.c. Authorization to transfer Points must be initiated by the Account holder with the Points to be transferred by contacting Member Support. The Account holder requesting the transfer must provide the Membership Number of the Points recipient at the time of the Point transfer request.

2.8.d. Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transferor relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points, and they become the recipient’s Points.

2.8.e. Miles and Elite Night Credit cannot be transferred between Membership Accounts.
Print Wikipost

Moving points between accounts (General Discussion Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Quick question. If you only move 50K to a spousal account and need to move again before the end of the year, can you move points (up to 100K) an unlimited number of times? Also, Can I move 50K to my husband and 50K to my daughter?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 12:30 pm

Transferring to Spouse - Any Way Around 100k/yr limit?

As the title of this thread suggests, I'm trying to transfer points from my SO's account to my own in order to complete a booking and get the nights credited to my account. However, I need to transfer more than the 100k annual limit. Is there any way around this? Or should I give up now/
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
There used to be a way pre-spg merger but I don't know if it is still available. I actually posted this question in MI on facebook a couple of days ago and didn't get a response. In the past if there was a specific travel package award you want to redeem for but were short of points, Marriott allowed to transfer enough points to make the redemption. They would verify the transfer with both parties over the phone, complete the transfer and than purchase the travel package all at one time. I don't know if this is still an option but you could try. Transfering for the sake of transfering is capped at 100k person, 500k per year.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
My understanding is that you can transfer out a maximum of 100K pts/yr, but you can receive up to 500K pts/yr.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wtphock
As the title of this thread suggests, I'm trying to transfer points from my SO's account to my own in order to complete a booking and get the nights credited to my account. However, I need to transfer more than the 100k annual limit. Is there any way around this? Or should I give up now/
Is there a friend or family member you can "borrow" the missing points from, and repay them in January 2022?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Is there a friend or family member you can "borrow" the missing points from, and repay them in January 2022?
Or transfer points to friend and then have them transfer to you.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rthib
Or transfer points to friend and then have them transfer to you.
That won't work if spouse hits 100K point limit while transferring to wtphock. They'll have to wait until 2022 to transfer anything over 100K. (The limit on outgoing is 100K, but it's 500K for incoming.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:02 pm

That won't work if spouse hits 100K point limit while transferring to wtphock. They'll have to wait until 2022 to transfer anything over 100K. (The limit on outgoing is 100K, but it's 500K for incoming.)

Hmmm, yeah unfortunately, I don't think I know anyone who would transfer to us. I tried calling in as well but they seem pretty firm about the 100k pt limit. We may just have to plan another trip so I can get enough nights to hit Platinum this year!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Points Transfer - Marriott Screwed up

I called Marriott to transfer 100,000 points from my partners account to my account for a points advance reservation.
I need the points before the end of the month as I need to confirm the booking before the 60 day deadline for points advance reservations and the hotel is now sold-out for those dates.

During the call the operator transferred 100,000 points, but in the wrong direction (from me to my partner).
They claim that they can't do anything to reverse their screw-up and that I just have to suck it up.

Since the call I simply used all of my points for future bookings that I won't use, and am glad to say that they have not been transferred over.
The hotline still seems to be seeing a transfer has happened and cannot transfer the points from my partner to me as we have already transferred the max amount between accounts that we can for a year.

Any suggestions or ways to escalate so that I can get this resolved?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Ikaz
I called Marriott to transfer 100,000 points from my partners account to my account for a points advance reservation.
I need the points before the end of the month as I need to confirm the booking before the 60 day deadline for points advance reservations and the hotel is now sold-out for those dates.

During the call the operator transferred 100,000 points, but in the wrong direction (from me to my partner).
They claim that they can't do anything to reverse their screw-up and that I just have to suck it up.

Since the call I simply used all of my points for future bookings that I won't use, and am glad to say that they have not been transferred over.
The hotline still seems to be seeing a transfer has happened and cannot transfer the points from my partner to me as we have already transferred the max amount between accounts that we can for a year.

Any suggestions or ways to escalate so that I can get this resolved?
Did you make the call or did your partner? Only the account holder can request the transfer so if you called, I can see why it may have happened. I called on Monday to have points transferred from Mr. Fink’s account to mine and then put him on the phone to request the transfer. But at first the rep thought I wanted the points to go the opposite way as I was the one who initially called.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:07 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Finkface
Did you make the call or did your partner? Only the account holder can request the transfer so if you called, I can see why it may have happened. I called on Monday to have points transferred from Mr. Fink’s account to mine and then put him on the phone to request the transfer. But at first the rep thought I wanted the points to go the opposite way as I was the one who initially called.
I called yes, my partner was next to me but the first person didn't ask to talk to them (we tried again just after our first call, and they asked to speak to her, but it was too late by that point), lesson learned for next time.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I called yes, my partner was next to me but the first person didn't ask to talk to them (we tried again just after our first call, and they asked to speak to her, but it was too late by that point), lesson learned for next time.
Therein lies the problem, I think. You were the one who called so the rep just assumed the transfer was coming from you I guess and initiated it from your account. Sorry to hear it. Can you just book the stay from your partner’s account instead?
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
What's the correct number to call to transfer points?

I tried to call Member's Service (801) 468-4000 during business hours but was put on hold for more than 40 minutes. Finally I gave up.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Finkface
Therein lies the problem, I think. You were the one who called so the rep just assumed the transfer was coming from you I guess and initiated it from your account. Sorry to hear it. Can you just book the stay from your partner’s account instead?
I can't book from her account as she is only gold and I am titanium and I have the booking as points advance, and the hotel is sold out

Originally Posted by kb1992
What's the correct number to call to transfer points?

I tried to call Member's Service (801) 468-4000 during business hours but was put on hold for more than 40 minutes. Finally I gave up.
I think that I used the international number 0080062774680
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I can't book from her account as she is only gold and I am titanium and I have the booking as points advance, and the hotel is sold out

I think that I used the international number 0080062774680
Have you checked whether Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II or another lurker can help you? This likely won’t be able to be fixed through regular channels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.