Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Email: A Note About our Transition into One Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email: A Note About our Transition into One Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Marriott has fallen short of reasonable customer expectations with regard to the integration-related program changes and Marriott. hasn’t shown much intent and capability to make things right very quickly and easily for the negatively-impacted customers, so of course such Marriott customers shouldn’t ever be satisfied unless and until Marriott does right by the many wronged customers.
Well put. I think the negative reaction to this email by many of us is both predictable and understandable. It's just one miscue, stealth devaluation, and missed opportunity after another.

I'm still waiting for the email apologizing for Marriott's backtracking on the previously touted "no blackout date" benefit
GUWonder and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
I'm still waiting for the Marriott mass email with the following subject line:

Bonvoy!!!!!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Two things stand out to me.

First:

Originally Posted by stimpy
You’ll be hearing more from us next year when we introduce our new brand name, representing the most rewarding loyalty program in hospitality.
I thought the takeaway from everything was that Marriott understood legacy SPG customers cared as much or more about recognition than rewards. Yet, ever since April they've talked about how members get more points. August onwards has shown that Marriott still can't get the recognition component right. Ambassador is a perfect example. Between hundreds of ambassadors not getting contacted and properties not delivering it's been a bad four months in terms of recognition.

Best,
David Flueck
SVP, Global Loyalty
Really? What kind of valediction is that? Moreover, how many people know what SVP stands for? Talk about impersonal. This was written like an email to colleagues in his department thanking them for their work this year.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by JBord
Perhaps for anyone who is above Silver level, Arne should knock on your door during the holidays and hand-deliver a nice gift basket as a personal apology, even for those customers who've had an extremely smooth integration. Of course, the longest thread of 2019 would then be how Marriott was so rude to interrupt your holiday celebration.
This email would have been much better if they had ate the cost of sending a printed letter via the postal service to each customer or at least used software to customize the email and thank you for your given status.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Some people will be glad to see a public acknowledgement along with an apology. Others will wish that had come bundled with some free points or a certificate of some sort as a means of compensation for the frustration (extreme in some cases) they've endured.

I personally just think it was an opportunity missed - a corporate message such as this should've at least included something tangible, such as firming up a hard date for the new program or something along that line. I would've liked to have finished reading that e-mail knowing something I didn't know going in.

But let's at least recognize that he didn't dismiss anyone as "fringe," he didn't claim that all systems are now a go in spite of clear evidence to the contrary, and he did in fact apologize - something that many around here have called for repeatedly.
I'm sure this Marriott–Ritz-Carlton–SPG loyalty program merger will be a case study in what not to do for a loyalty marketing class at Cornell or wherever.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I wont be surprised if the introduction of the new program delayed from the January 2019 target
Supposedly we now have until March 2019 to make award-redemption bookings at the current levels as opposed to January 1, 2019, when most or all of us assumed the new variable pricing would be in effect.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Two lumps of coal for the 'new and improved' Marriott this holiday season.
I think it would be funny if someone sent a lump of coal over to Flueck at Marriott's headquarters.

Anyone interested in splitting the costs? Private message me.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Anyone interested in splitting the costs?
Ordering and resending a lump of coal via Priority Mail would be about $20. Only $12.62 if you sent it directly as a gift. Does that rise to the "splitting the costs" threshold?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by 360guy
It would be nice if they would acknowledge your status.
Your Status wasn't acknowledged probably because they don't know what it is.

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; Dec 19, 2018 at 7:44 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by closecover
I'm still waiting for the Marriott mass email with the following subject line:

Bonvoy!!!!!
That is what causing the delay of the new Program lauch. "Bonvoy" has been scrapped.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CLEguy
I didn't get an email.
Nor did I.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Perhaps Hilton and others haven’t been running a lot of promos and status challenges because (1) Marriott’s integration isn’t the worst loyalty program merger ever, after all, and/or (2) anyone can get Hlilton’s highest tier Diamond status with a mere credit card, so why bother with a challenge?
On (1): I have no idea if this is the worst loyalty program merger ever, what I do know is that if the IT aspect of the merger, i.e.migration of account balance, static account information, temporal information etc., would have been executed like this in the financial industry head would have rolled by now ... but I guess different industries have different benchmark what constitute success ... and in honesty different IT budgets ...
On (2): Just want to mention that for us located outside the US any such pathway to Hilton Diamond (or the 20 nights to Hyatt Glob) is not possibility so for us challenges still have a meaning... I would hope that MAR continues their property expansion outside NA by also amending the loyalty program to also cater to non-US residents. I count going from points tenor to year tenor in the LT program such a step ...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by X-ON
On (2): Just want to mention that for us located outside the US any such pathway to Hilton Diamond (or the 20 nights to Hyatt Glob) is not possibility so for us challenges still have a meaning... I would hope that MAR continues their property expansion outside NA by also amending the loyalty program to also cater to non-US residents. I count going from points tenor to year tenor in the LT program such a step ...
While I agree that Marriott and all chains could and should do a better job of catering to people in all countries, I will note that Amex Centurion members in every country they issue in get Hilton Diamond comped each year. So it's not impossible!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Others will wish that had come bundled with some free points or a certificate of some sort as a means of compensation for the frustration (extreme in some cases) they've endured.
I've told this story before on various FlyerTalk fora. One of my hospitality jobs was as a Night Manager during a soft-opening of a hotel. The owners were running out of money for the renovation, so they opened the hotel to generate income. We opened about 6-8 weeks too soon. My job essentially was to listen to legitimate complaints each and every night.

I quickly learned that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all compensation plan. Different people react very differently to the same offer of compensation. One person would view a discounted/comped room very favorably. Someone else would that offer as offensive because she or he views it as an attempt to ignore the problem. Those people want problems fixed and they care little about tokens.

Had Marriott offered points to everyone, it's clear that you'd be happy. Other people would undoubtedly see the offer as offensive because the underlying problems haven't been fixed.

Finally, don't forget that while many people have had major challenges, many others have not had any issues. Giving points to everyone to compensate for problems that only a portion of members experienced is not something any company would do. Respectfully, I think your expectations are not in line with that reality. (Note: I'm not saying you personally aren't due compensation. I'm merely saying a blanket gesture to everyone isn't the way to address the problems some members have had.)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
While I agree that Marriott and all chains could and should do a better job of catering to people in all countries, I will note that Amex Centurion members in every country they issue in get Hilton Diamond comped each year. So it's not impossible!
I stand corrected, however spending 250K-450K USD a year (vs. paying 450 USD) in annual fee) as substitute of a Hilton Diamond challenge ... it is not impossible but hardly a substitute
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.