FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Email: A Note About our Transition into One Program
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:58 am
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Others will wish that had come bundled with some free points or a certificate of some sort as a means of compensation for the frustration (extreme in some cases) they've endured.
I've told this story before on various FlyerTalk fora. One of my hospitality jobs was as a Night Manager during a soft-opening of a hotel. The owners were running out of money for the renovation, so they opened the hotel to generate income. We opened about 6-8 weeks too soon. My job essentially was to listen to legitimate complaints each and every night.

I quickly learned that there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all compensation plan. Different people react very differently to the same offer of compensation. One person would view a discounted/comped room very favorably. Someone else would that offer as offensive because she or he views it as an attempt to ignore the problem. Those people want problems fixed and they care little about tokens.

Had Marriott offered points to everyone, it's clear that you'd be happy. Other people would undoubtedly see the offer as offensive because the underlying problems haven't been fixed.

Finally, don't forget that while many people have had major challenges, many others have not had any issues. Giving points to everyone to compensate for problems that only a portion of members experienced is not something any company would do. Respectfully, I think your expectations are not in line with that reality. (Note: I'm not saying you personally aren't due compensation. I'm merely saying a blanket gesture to everyone isn't the way to address the problems some members have had.)