Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
I also just started noticing that in some properties in the US, they'll charge the same for 2 or 3 (2 + kid) when you search by cash but they'll tack on the $50 or so extra when booking for 3 on points. Same room but the points based reservation triggers the add-on when searching with more than 2 people.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Is this only happening on award reservations, or is this a regular hotel policy (at the hotels that charge it)?
I mocked up a reservation at Sheraton Buganvilias Resort with 2 adults and a child, for cash, and it also added a $50 "Extra Person Fee".

So the entire premise of this thread may be false.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
One result of mergers is less competition. The policy of 2 people per room for a reward has been on the books for Marriott as long as I can remember. They are just choosing to enforce it more now.

Frequent flier programs have gotten considerably worse as mergers have consolidated that industry as well.

Between destination fees for reward rooms and extra fees for more than 2 people, it can become pretty expensive to get a 'free night' now.
GUWonder and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:37 am

$100 per kid in Hawaii and 125 Euro per kid in Europe!

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I did a few Award Reservations at various Marriott Hotels (a couple of Delta and couple of Sheratons)
All the 4 hotels charged me a $50 fee per kid (my kids are 5 and 7) and so are expecting me to pay $100 per room per night.
When did this start happening?
In the past whenever I have stayed at Marriotts, I have rarely seen this fee.
All the above hotels accommodate 4 people in a room, it's just that they want an additional $50 per kid.
I spoke to an Agent and she then booked me for 2 Adults and noted in the comments that I will be having 2 additional kids in the room and that I should be ok.
I am still confused as to when did Marriott start nickel and diming.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
I booked a 2 bedroom 2 bath "Family" suite at a LC property in Asia and it adds an Extra Person fee when booking for 2 adults 1 child. It's just messed up IT (and not some backwards policy on awards alone), and I will deal with it at checkin. No way there is an extra person charge for a 9 year old in this room type. I even emailed Lurker and didn't get a response, assume he is completely at a loss on this IT failure as well. Again, best recourse is to contact property in advance (or deal with it at checkin, think it's easier to explain face to face with the right person in case you get the wrong/uninformed person responding to emailphone in advance)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:17 am

Maybe it is different with Marriott Vacation Club but just booked the Phuket Beach Club for 6 adults and no mention of additional person charge. This property only has two bedroom two bathroom suites though.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:25 am

If Marriott is going to charge us 250 Euros more for 2 kids, we should get a suite!

If Marriott is going to charge us 250 Euros more for 2 kids, we should get a suite!

Marriott’s 125 euros or $100 per kid as extra person will backfire in areas where it does not control the market.

An anti-trust law suit will be filed against Marriott!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by eDude
An anti-trust law suit will be filed against Marriott!
If you can enlighten my legal naiveness, why is this an antitrust law issue?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:00 pm

If Marriott which recently acquired Starwood, controls the market in a certain area, it has monopoly of that market. It has no meaningful competitor. Therefore, it will be subject to antitrust law suit. It won’t happen with the current US administration.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Had a stay at the V&A Marriott in Manchester over the weekend, which I went to book last week. They offer a room with 2 Doubles, which is the default option for 2 adults and 1 child. Price is normal, but they try to slip in an additional £30 per night for the extra guest at the end of the process.

Called the hotel to find out the policy. They confirmed that they don't charge for a child under 12 and that Marriott IT was the issue despite them raising it when it started to be a problem a few months earlier. The member of staff reserved the room for me as 2 adults and then manually added on the child at their end. (Room was set-up for 3 on arrival as well). She also confirmed that at their property, if a room is booked for 3, then they remove the charge for children as a policy at check in anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
JW Marriott Hanoi also charges an extra person charge when a booking is made. I will know once I check in March if the hotel actually charges you.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rny321
At some locations, an extra fee for a 3rd person in a room isn't new. I don't remember if it was the Gritti Palace or the Danielli, but in 2011, I believe it was a 110 Euro surcharge to add a teenaged child to a reservation. That would mean that a 3rd person charge has existed longer than SPG lifetime status.
Those were the rollaway bed charges, and how fast they jacked them up is quite impressive given what they were just a couple of years earlier.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i made 2 award reservations yesterday at a fairfield & courtyard for 2 adults & 2 kids (both under the age of 5)....the fairfield wanted an extra $70 charge but the courtyard had no extra charge....so i called the fairfield property & they told me to make the reservation for 2 adults & they would add the kids to the reservation afterwards for no extra charge....
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i made 2 award reservations yesterday at a fairfield & courtyard for 2 adults & 2 kids (both under the age of 5)....the fairfield wanted an extra $70 charge but the courtyard had no extra charge....so i called the fairfield property & they told me to make the reservation for 2 adults & they would add the kids to the reservation afterwards for no extra charge....
so the consensus now is to just book everything for 2? In the USA, not sure why anyone would put anything other than two on the reservation if the bedding fits. Non-Americas, depends on the country and bedding
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by myperks
so the consensus now is to just book everything for 2? In the USA, not sure why anyone would put anything other than two on the reservation if the bedding fits. Non-Americas, depends on the country and bedding
both reservations are in the u.s. but i don't want to take a chance....its better to have clarification than to be told i have to book another room when checking in....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.