Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hotels now adding a $50 per person fee after 2 adults when booking an Award

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Just put 2 Adults. That's what I have learnt from my recent stays.
MasterGeek and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:17 pm

I booked a Chase free night stay this morning for the Marriott North Charleston, and they're charging me $2.18 for something, presumably tax-related.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
When I stayed at SPG hotels before the merger, I had to pay taxes on the cash portion of the "cash and points" award stay. I paid no taxes when it was all points.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Many cities in Europe have a per person nightly city tax that is.a fixed rate (i.e. not a percentage of the room rate.). I have always paid that on reward stays. Rome is the most egregious I have found, currently charging six (6) Euros per person per night. As noted earlier, extra person charges have often been added in Europe especially if a rollaway is required, often as much as $50 or $75 a night in top hotels. The new Marriott policy of charging for the third and fourth person in a room using existing bedding on award stays in the US is pretty annoying, especially if those people (i.e. children) would be free on paid stays.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:36 am

I have frequently seen it state that there would be a cash portion for taxes and fees and am rarely charged anything. I had a stay in Paris about a year ago and as I remember it said 46 euros on the website, and I asked when I checked in and was told since I was using points there would be no fees and the stay ended up being completely free. I hate to say it but checking with the hotel is likely the only way to get accurate information on fees when using points.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Yep, I just encountered this. I reserved for 2 adults and 2 kids and the quote had charged me for 2 extra adults. Just checked out and I was not charged for extra people, but I let the front desk know that they are just 4 year olds when I checked in.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:04 am

Just did a stay using e-certificate complimentary night from old Amex SPG card award. Initially my credit card was hit for $47.00 as a pending charge, which looked to be the taxes. On check out, my portfolio did not reflect that charge. It has since cleared off my credit card, so it looks like, at least for an e-certificate, the taxes are covered in the award.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA-Gold, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold, IHG - Platinum
I recently had a rewards stay at the Marriott Stellaris San Juan and they charged us a flat resort fee (as opposed to the percentage fee that they charge paying customers). Taxes were then added to the $30. fee.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
greedy .......s. at the very least it should be waived for any elite status level. Doubt that'll happen though.
I would opine that if this is to be, then they should also waive the "resort fee" rip-off that makes us pay for benefits that were supposed to be given free due to our elite status.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Talking

Originally Posted by GBadger
Just figured out that it was an "extra person" fee (plus applicable taxes). I've never seen this before -- booking for two adults and two kids...
you got BONVOYED!!!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by azmojo
Yep, I just encountered this. I reserved for 2 adults and 2 kids and the quote had charged me for 2 extra adults. Just checked out and I was not charged for extra people, but I let the front desk know that they are just 4 year olds when I checked in.
Yes, but are they 15 year olds by the time you check out?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:24 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I recently got hit with a tax on an award night at the SFO Marriott. It was $1,50 and I haven't a clue as to why. I was a solo traveler.

P.S. Before you judge, I redeemed there because it was over $400/night throughout the Bay Area. This hotel consolidation has made staying overnight in some markets untenable.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by avatexrs
I booked a Chase free night stay this morning for the Marriott North Charleston, and they're charging me $2.18 for something, presumably tax-related.
That looks like a $2 flat fee, probably to support local tourism, plus a 9% state/local tax rate being applied to the fee. Given the historic nature of Charleston, it doesn't surprise me that they change an "entrance fee" for hotel guests.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Excerpt from T&Cs

3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any. All other charges, including incidentals, resort fees and The Ritz-Carlton Club level charges, are the responsibility of the Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

I am escalating an issue right now with Sheraton Grand Sydney. I made award bookings for two rooms, one with 2 and one with 3. They add (a ridiculous) $110 additional person fee to the room with 3. (All of their standard rooms have published max occupancy of 3.
Their in house reservation agent (the person I get when emailing the hotel email) says it is for additional person and rollaway bed fee. However on the reservation summary, there is nothing about a bed, only extra person fee.
I sent them the above policy excerpt but they have not responded in over 2 days when every other response was next day.

Edit: Hotel responded and assured that no extra fee would be charged on award stays with existing bedding.

Last edited by shawneve; May 24, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Pro tip: when number of guests in a room is more than two and they are using existing bedding (or in addition to a crib for an infant), just make a reservation for two.

Consider the number of people you specify when making a booking as number of beds requested.
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by MasterGeek; May 24, 2019 at 9:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.