Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualifying for 2019 Platinum in 2018 by [25 SPG property] stays

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Question Has anyone actually qualified on 25 stays since August 18?

A couple of months ago I decided to achieve 25 stays at Starwood-legacy properties this year. I had not thought about this earlier in the year, because I was already Platinum Premier in both programs due to pre-August activity on the Marriott side. But then the new online barometers informed me that when I combine my accounts I willI have 600+ combined nights and 8 combined years of Platinum or higher. So if I can get one more year of Platinum before December 31 by qualifying separately on the Starwood side, I should have a total of nine years, and then if I get 50 nights in the combined program next year I'll meet the 10 years + 600 nights requirement for Lifetime Platinum. I just completed my 25th stay -- actually it's 21 stays at hotels and 4 stays credited from my Starwood Amex personal and business cards -- and all but the last stay are showing on my online account. The final stay should post this week. Throughout the process I've been reading this and other threads affirming that 25 stays is still a path to Platinum this year, noting the need to keep a manual count since the online tracker no longer tracks stays, and speculating about such questions as whether 2-for-1 promotional stays will count. But what I haven't seen is a single report of a 25th stay after August 18 resulting in a credited year of Platinum status. If anyone has been given such credit -- particularly if this also resulted in a one-year increase in your lifetime number of Platinum years -- it would be most reassuring. Otherwise maybe I'll be the test case. I guess I should wait a couple of weeks after the 25th stay posts, then contact Customer Service if nothing happens? I've taken lots of screen shots and have not combined my Statwood and Marriott accounts. I would be most grateful for any thoughts, and particularly for any information, anyone may have.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
With SPG, we had timely and accurate reporting that tracked our activity. Specifically, SPG was excellent at tracking both # of stays and # of nights. Now that Marriott has "upgraded" the systems, we've lost the ability to track stays. I actually emailed one of the SPG Lurkers with a question related to # of stays and the (as always, polite!) reply was that everyone has now lost the ability to track stays; the only thing being tracked is # of nights.

So for those who intend to requalify based on stays, I would recommend you count stays yourself and keep records. It's been my experience that Marriott seems to want copies of your hotel invoices, preferably in electronic form. I don't think a printout showing your activity will cut it when in January, Marriott demotes many Platinums to Gold because they don't have enough nights, even though they may have 25+ stays at SPG properties.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
I just completed my 25th stay -- actually it's 21 stays at hotels and 4 stays credited from my Starwood Amex personal and business cards -- and all but the last stay are showing on my online account. The final stay should post this week.[...] I've taken lots of screen shots and have not combined my Starwood and Marriott accounts. I would be most grateful for any thoughts, and particularly for any information, anyone may have.
Did you make a screen shot of your SPG progress to date right before Aug 18? If not, what screen shot can prove that you have 4 stays from the 2 credit cards?

In my case, I only had 2 stays from one SPG credit card, but I "distrust" them enough that I'm doing 2 more SPG stays (than I'd need with the credit card) "just to make sure".
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RCyyz
So for those who intend to requalify based on stays, I would recommend you count stays yourself and keep records. It's been my experience that Marriott seems to want copies of your hotel invoices, preferably in electronic form. I don't think a printout showing your activity will cut it when in January, Marriott demotes many Platinums to Gold because they don't have enough nights, even though they may have 25+ stays at SPG properties.
Marriott wants copies of your hotel invoices if you have a missing stay.

But in what cases have you experience Marriott wanting copies of your hotel invoice if your stay did post???

Why would an activity printout (filtered for hotel stays) showing 25 (or more) separate entries (and a count of 25 or more) not count if all stays have posted?

I mention the count, because I currently do a filter for hotel stays, of the year to date, the count it shows (of how many hotel stays it's displaying) matches my count for the posted SPG hotel stays to date perfectly (of course, it doesn't count stays from any SPG cards, but what "proof" will make those count? see my post above about how that's what I most fear won't count).
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Did you make a screen shot of your SPG progress to date right before Aug 18? If not, what screen shot can prove that you have 4 stays from the 2 credit cards?
I was worried about this. But when I click on the link for looking at history prior to August 18, the first few entries (all on January 9) are the five nights and two stays for each of my two credit cards. So I do have a screen shot proving that these nights and stays were awarded.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In my case, I only had 2 stays from one SPG credit card, but I "distrust" them enough that I'm doing 2 more SPG stays (than I'd need with the credit card) "just to make sure".
This is exactly why I'd like confirmation soon -- not after the January "sweep" which the more I read about it the more it reminds me of the Rapture -- that the pre-August Starwood rules, including those governing the 25-stay qualification, will apply in their entirety to those of us who qualify under those rules prior to December 31. I do have one more Starwood stay scheduled for early December, not as an insurance policy but just because I want to stay there. If Starwood/Marriott were to inform me in the next couple of weeks that my actual hotel stays, but not the virtual stays I got from my credit cards, would apply toward 25-stay Platinum qualification for this year, I could schedule another three stays to make up the difference, although not without some expense and inconvenience. But the published rules for the transition include no such exception, so my inclination is to rely on those rules unless there is reason to believe they will not be followed. (Also, the new site still does count nights, and I notice that the 10 virtual nights I got from my credit cards this year are included both in my 2018 total and in my lifetime total, and I can't think of a rationale under which they would have a different policy for the 4 virtual stays I received from the very same cards under the very same rules.)
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:41 pm

Plat status not posting until Jan 2019 for legacy SPG stays?

I hit 25 SPG stays post-merger and was expecting my status to upgrade from gold to plat in a timely fashion. Opened a case with their customer service with no resolution so called back today after waiting a month. Long story short, even though I am entitled to platinum under the old rules for 2018, it would not be effective until next January. Is anyone else aware of this policy? It took 3 separate calls for me to get a straight answer from Marriott.

Last edited by ajmlee82; Nov 19, 2018 at 9:05 pm Reason: Incorrect year
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by ajmlee82
I hit 25 SPG stays post-merger and was expecting my status to upgrade from gold to plat in a timely fashion. Opened a case with their customer service with no resolution so called back today after waiting a month. Long story short, even though I am entitled to platinum under the old rules for 2018, it would not be effective until next January. Is anyone else aware of this policy? It took 3 separate calls for me to get a straight answer from Marriott.
I have problems with my lifetime status with Marriott, and I was told months ago that it wouldn't be addressed until January. I think they are done dealing with status related issues for the rest of the year. It is frustrating.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ajmlee82
Originally Posted by jeanie
I have problems with my lifetime status with Marriott, and I was told months ago that it wouldn't be addressed until January. I think they are done dealing with status related issues for the rest of the year. It is frustrating.
Although never stated specifically, as of the merger in August, all legacy rules were replaced with the new MPG rules, annual and lifetime (which is within the T&Cs). And as a consolation offering, they decided to allow us to continue to earn status under the legacy rules, but that will be bestowed following a sweep sometime in January. They have wiggled a few times with allowing more members to obtain LTPP than just MR LTPs. More changes may happen, but communications is not Marriott's strong point (all systems working??? Maybe, but not correctly for many). I can understand not wanting to spend a lot of effort porting the old rules over for such a short period of time, but telling us (and their own staff) would have saved a lot of grief.

Oh, and if you haven't heard it enough, take screenshots of your account information BEFORE year-end to show that you have qualified. I am expecting another typical IT implementation of the January sweep and your data may be gone to prove what it was.
jeanie likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:45 am

2018 platinum qualification based on stays

I was told my Marriott customer service by email that I couldn’t requalify for platinum based on stays after 8/18/18. I’ve read differently in various places suggesting I could requalify with 25 stays at Legacy SPG properties. Anyone have a better contact that can make this happen?

Here is the email response I got today:

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to Marriott Customer Care.

You are incorrect you will need to earn 50 night for Platinum status.

This is how it was working in 2018.

January to August 17, 2018 you had the chance to earn Platinum Status in the old system

August 18, 2018 we have implemented the new rewards system the annual status is now under the new system.

I have included what is needed for the new reward system.

Silver Elite 10-24 elite nights
Gold Elite 25-49 elite nights
Platinum 50-74 elite nights
Platinum Premier Elite 75-99 elite nights
Platinum Premier Elite with ambassador 100 elite night and 20,000 USD annual spend.

For Lifetime Elite status you have till December 31, 2018 to earn it through the old method.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, you can still qualify under legacy SPG terms for 2018 only. Given the state of MR customer service, it's not surprising that they're not aware of this exception.

Starting January 1, 2019, Elite status will be achieved on nights and not on stays. Until then, SPG members can achieve status based on stays at SPG-associated brands only, AND can also qualify based on nights across the 29 brands.
Reply back with this marriott-specific URL and ask why they are saying this does not apply
https://members.marriott.com/spg/
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Funny, but the T&Cs say you can qualify based on SPG stays.

4.2.b. To achieve or renew Elite membership status...

In 2018, the Loyalty Program will continue to honor Elite achievement via Qualifying Stays at participating SPG Brands that occur in 2018. Elite achievement via Qualifying Stays is only available until December 31, 2018 and will not be continued thereafter. Participating SPG Brands include: St. Regis® Hotels, The Luxury Collection®, W® Hotels, Sheraton®, Le Méridien®, Westin®, Tribute Portfolio®, Design Hotels TM, Four Points®, Aloft® Hotels and Element®. Members can earn Elite Status via Qualifying Stays under the requirements listed below:

● Gold Elite: 10 to 24 Qualifying Stays or 25 to 49 Qualifying Nights
● Platinum Elite: 25 or more Qualifying Stays or 50 to 74 Qualifying Nights
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:17 am

Do you have that in writing anywhere? I don’t want to have to make the hassle of moving hotels to try to get to 25 stays just to find out they changed the goalposts.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Funny, but the T&Cs say you can qualify based on SPG stays.
This language looks clear to me! The only potential uncertainty I see possibly arising is making sure my 4 stays from my SPG still count as Qualifying Stays for 2018 under the new regime
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
As usual, the CSR is mistaken or only considering current program rules. However, for 2018, and only 2018, you can earn Plat status with 25 stays in SPG properties. See the quote above for specific language. The second worse people to ask about loyalty program rules are the CSRs only beat out from being the worst by the FDCs. Do not fight with anyone because even if they swear on a stack of bibles, their word is not enforceable (just like with IRS agents). Go ahead and do your 25 stays and wait for the sweep in January (it won't happen at the 25th stay like in legacy days). If they miss your account (and you won't be alone) then contact MPG and make your request to be recognized as MPG Plat til Feb 2020.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Now that you know you are correct and the CSR is passing along incorrect information, reach out to one of the Lurkers, forward the email and hopefully the Lurker will reach out to the correct people within the company so that the CSR and be gently corrected before passing the incorrect information along to others.
RogerD408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.