Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
They can call the program and the elite status tiers whatever they want, but until there is a clear delivery of the benefits then whatever changes they make are worthless. Look at the J.W. Marriott property in Costa Rica that is openly giving a f–ck you by posting on its website that it won't give suite upgrades to customers who are other eligible for suite upgrades. If that's not bad enough look at all the properties, across multiple brands and including even Marriott-managed properties, that are claiming a piece of toast or a muffin and a cup of coffee is a compliant elite status breakfast.
I think I agree with your post overall, but I do believe that proper status recognition wasn't ever going to take hold until the "Plat is Plat" situation was/is resolved. So in my view this is progress, albeit minor in comparison to the scale of some of the bigger outstanding problems, a few of which you've identified in your post.

The suite upgrade and breakfast shortcomings are symptoms of the loophole disease that has taken hold within the Marriott ecosystem. I personally consider the "standard room" award availability loophole to be the most gaping and pressing, but of course different members will hold differing priorities. At the end of the day it remains to be seen if this is just a bad patch we're all going through following integration, or if Marriott has committed long-term to prioritizing the whims and baser instincts of their property managers over the supposed benefits they've promised to their most loyal customers.

But since this is the Bonvy thread - and new status tiers are incorporated into that leak - I am throwing in with the camp that the name isn't bad, and that the program represents incremental progress towards proper status recognition with the eradication of the word "platinum" in all but a single status tier.
TerryK, C17PSGR, damon88 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I think I agree with your post overall, but I do believe that proper status recognition wasn't ever going to take hold until the "Plat is Plat" situation was/is resolved. So in my view this is progress, albeit minor in comparison to the scale of some of the bigger outstanding problems, a few of which you've identified in your post.

The suite upgrade and breakfast shortcomings are symptoms of the loophole disease that has taken hold within the Marriott ecosystem. I personally consider the "standard room" award availability loophole to be the most gaping and pressing, but of course different members will hold differing priorities. At the end of the day it remains to be seen if this is just a bad patch we're all going through following integration, or if Marriott has committed long-term to prioritizing the whims and baser instincts of their property managers over the supposed benefits they've promised to their most loyal customers.

But since this is the Bonvy thread - and new status tiers are incorporated into that leak - I am throwing in with the camp that the name isn't bad, and that the program represents incremental progress towards proper status recognition with the eradication of the word "platinum" in all but a single status tier.
I agree. We all have our different priorities. Loopholes will sadly always exist. What's frustrating is they close loopholes, like meetings, for us, the guests, but do nothing to close the loopholes for bad properties. Look at that whole "local policy" clause in the terms and conditions that any smart general manager will cite for their property's noncompliance.

I said it in legacy Marriott: It makes no sense (or cents) to screw business travelers when they're on their own dime or on points for their yearly vacation with the wife, husband, partner, boyfriend, girlfriend, or significant other. Like many of us, I can expense breakfast, drinks and the like when I'm traveling most of the year, staying at airport hotels or an unmemorable downtown business hotel.

Getting the excellent M Club breakfast that I do when I stay at the Marriott Georgetown in Washington, D.C., isn't nearly as important nor valuable as it would be if I would got that same breakfast at a property when I'm on vacationing and trying to keep my wife happy. The same for the very nice executive lounge at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London. As much as I complain about fake champagne I appreciate a halfway decent Spanish cava that is served on a complimentary basis when I'm on my yearly award-redemption trip to London. It means I can save $30-50 in drink expenses per night.

Look at Scrub Island, Autograph Collection. My boss has ambassador status, like me. Him and I do events. Until this year, we each did between $200,000 and $250,000 per year in events with Marriott. He spent like a million points for 10 days over Thanksgiving at Scrub Island, booking a couple of rooms for him and his kids. He even paid several hundred dollars in a co-pay for a suite. And how does the property treat him? A muffin, some bread and a cup of coffee in a box for breakfast. That's it.
andrewstahl likes this.

Last edited by hhoope01; Jan 1, 2019 at 9:09 pm Reason: Per FT Rule 16, removed offensive language reference.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I said it in legacy Marriott: It makes no sense (or cents) to screw business travelers when they're on their own dime or on points for their yearly vacation with the wife, husband, partner, boyfriend, girlfriend, or significant other. Like many of us, I can expense breakfast, drinks and the like when I'm traveling most of the year, staying at airport hotels or an unmemorable downtown business hotel.
This +1000

Reward Stay should have breakfast included always. It's about the chain rewarding their patrons not on this stay, but for all the others stays used to build up the points.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:57 pm
soy

Programs: various
OMAAT has a post with the logo for the new Marriott Bonfire program, and yes it’s almost as bad as Hyatts.What on earth are they thinking with this crap.
svo242 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'd expect nothing more from Marriott
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by soy
OMAAT has a post with the logo for the new Marriott Bonfire program, and yes it’s almost as bad as Hyatts.What on earth are they thinking with this crap.
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
I’ve decided the new name sounds like bonfire.

Top tip for Marriott Bonfire members - burn your points before the next devaluation.
I really do suspect that "Marriott Bonfire ® ™ ℠" will rapidly gain traction as the universal moniker of abuse for the new program ….
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by soy
Funny enough, Marriott and Hyatt have used the same, outside branding agency for some things.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: Some
To me, the logo is fine, not as nice as the old SPG logo or even the old Marriott logo, but better than the weirdly-justified car crash that is the World of Hyatt Logo (Or World O F Hyatt as it reads to me). The problem with Bonvoy is entirely the name that make it sound like some kind of rare orangutan.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Can I keep my The Ritz-Carlton Rewards logo?

looks better than others options
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Can I keep my The Ritz-Carlton Rewards logo?

looks better than others options
Yeah, but it would be deceptive in that most Starriotts are nowhere the quality of RC. Some would probably say it has class associations or wouldn't be liked by millennials. I liked the SPG logo and colors, but to me the old Marriott (including the typeface) one just looks old in style and is too closely associated with full service Marriott properties and the chains that say "by Marriott" on the sign such as RI. There aren't good connotations.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:56 am

Why didn't they just go with Bon voyage? It seems like that was the intent, they were attempting to convey, but it sounds so much worse.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, but it would be deceptive in that most Starriotts are nowhere the quality of RC. Some would probably say it has class associations or wouldn't be liked by millennials. I liked the SPG logo and colors, but to me the old Marriott (including the typeface) one just looks old in style and is too closely associated with full service Marriott properties and the chains that say "by Marriott" on the sign such as RI. There aren't good connotations.
The crazy thing is the SPG brand is already a loved brand which they now own. Why wouldn't they use some variation on that? As for millennials, the SPG brand also addresses that issue best of the 3.
KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Titanium Elite

Just looking at my status on the app and it says that I am Titanium Elite.I am still Platinum Premier Elite on the website.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
^ I am getting tired of being greeted as a Platinum.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
My elite status is still showing PP on the App. But if I look at my nights details, it says "Renew Lifetime Titanium Elite at 32 nights". I didn't realize that I need to have more nights each year to renew my LT status.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.