Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’ll always think of you as Nickel at the very least.
Well, there's my alter ego...

Front Desk II: How can I help you?

Alter Me: Kal-El, Kryptonian dude.

David
lexdevil and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dayone
Hopefully, Titanium is just a placeholder. My suggestion is Gold> Platinum> Premier> Ambassador.
I suspect there are more people who know a premier ranks above an ambassador -- in the correct usage of the words -- than who knows titanium is less valuable than platinum.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It will be interesting to see what Chase and American Express do in January, as they will presumably need to re-issue new cards with the new name. It's weird to still see SPG branding on credit cards.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Bonvoy?! Rofl. What a name. Uh vey. I'm sure a millennial came up with that.

Looks like I'll be Titanium Elite level for life... that at least is memorable and real word. And shorter than its predecessor.
KRSW and remymartin like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm not aware the computer system shows a hotel our lifetime status. I believe it only shows "current' status...P6, X4, etc. There's no designation for lifetime status that I have seen on any screen during the check-in process. So how does a hotel know who is lifetime "x" vs current-year "x" status? Is anyone sure they can see this information?

People are commenting that this should (or may) help with upgrade priority at hotels. It would be nice if Marriott showed this to the hotel staff, but again, I've never seen any lifetime designation on the screen.

-RM
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm not aware the computer system shows a hotel our lifetime status. I believe it only shows "current' status...P6, X4, etc. There's no designation for lifetime status that I have seen on any screen during the check-in process. So how does a hotel know who is lifetime "x" vs current-year "x" status? Is anyone sure they can see this information?

People are commenting that this should (or may) help with upgrade priority at hotels. It would be nice if Marriott showed this to the hotel staff, but again, I've never seen any lifetime designation on the screen.

-RM
Does anyone have a screenshot of what a front desk agent sees? Obviously, you may have to redact identifying information.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:44 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin

People are throwing their hands up over nonsense then. These complaints absolutely qualify as the “noise on the fringe” to which Sorenson was referring. There is almost no impact here to the program name or labels, but people are complaining anyway. Whiners gonna whine.

While they are complaining about the Bonvoy program name, I’ll be more interested in Marriott getting the IT right. That actually matters and has impact. They can call it Oz or Wakanda for all I care as long as my elite status and benefits are better delineated for me to enjoy.

While they are complaining about the Titanium label, I’ll be thankful that 75 nights has an actual and recognized status name that’s obviously distinct from and receives higher priority than Platinum. That actually matters and has impact. I’ll let you and everyone else worry about the commodities pricing and/or how much it reminds you of your golf game.

I’m very happy that what I’ve always called Ambassador status is finally legitimized publicly as the actual status tier I’ve always known it was. It’s not just about having an Ambassador; it’s also about having Ambassador status. Marriott learned a lesson from the rare elite recognition SPG mistake. That actually matters and has impact.

Amen

I agree with almost everything

That said, I believe Marriott really overthought this—

Marriott Preferred Guest would have been simple, inclusive and would have saved them a lot of 💰

Oz would have been pretty cool too
X-ON, margarita girl, KRSW and 2 others like this.

Last edited by damon88; Nov 24, 2018 at 6:06 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If they stick with it, this will be known as the Bonvoy Age.
EricH, sdsearch, KRSW and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
So I'm going from LifePlat to LifeTit? I'm not sure I like that.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I wonder if anone leaving because the name of the program?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If they stick with it, this will be known as the Bonvoy Age.

/thread
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I wonder if anone leaving because the name of the program?
Well that would be ironic given the general usage of "bon voyage."

Is anyone aware of status being embedded in invoice numbers or anything like that? Someone in the comments section of one of the countless blogs out there indicated that their prefix switched today from a consistent "P" to a "T." That would be interesting indeed, but perhaps a little far-fetched that Marriott IT would be ahead of the curve on anything like that. And I don't recall ever noticing anything like that, although I just generally look over the charges and credits vs. any of the finer details.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by damon88
Marriott Preferred Guest would have been simple, inclusive and would have saved them a lot of 💰
This. It's simple, it keeps some elements of the spg guest values and doesnt sound like it was dreamed up when someone was tripping hard.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:26 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

And the Soothsayer Award goes to:

Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Does anyone have a screenshot of what a front desk agent sees? Obviously, you may have to redact identifying information.
I dont have a screenshot but have had agents show me the screen.

there is a line l that shows a series of codes. The first code shows statua. Then there are codes for things like king bed preferred, high floor, etc and one for ambassador. As far as I can tell, the codes in the Marriott system have not changed but in the past few days I've been recognized at check in as a Plat, a lifetime Plat, and a Plat Premier. One agent was very politely emphatic that X6 stood for lifetime platinum (its plat premier). And there isnt the slightest evidence of any priority for those with ambassadors unless the ambassador contacts the property. Perhaps .... the lack of training can be explained that the various operators knew that new names were coming.

bonvoy sounds stupid but it's tough to come up with a new name where websites and trademarks are available. I'll live with the name but the most important thing to me is for the properties to reliably distinguish between the levels! AA agents at airports around the world are never confused by multiple variations of platinum but they have a single employer who trains them in contrast to the network of Marriott franchisees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.