Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club lounge bill and gratuity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Big difference between:

(1) What OP had, in a lounge where no service other than plate removal was received and
(2) Free breakfast in a sit-down restaurant at hotel, where full service received from server and server probably exempted from minimum wage laws (where IMHO tipping is appropriate and necessary)

Think some comments in this thread conflating US tipping culture (which is what it is) and the $0 bill slapped down in certain lounges for no reason other than to fleece guests faced with an uncomfortable situation (which is downright tacky).
Jon Maiman, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Saint4805
If I could change two things about the States it would be gun laws and tipping culture (make that three if we include Trump). I would happily pay a bit more in restaurants if it meant the staff got paid more and any tipping would be discretionary based on the service received.
It would be lovely if the Brits learned to drive on the correct side of the road as well. But, the bottom line is that one can't change anything about local custom (or law). All one can do is ask oneself whether the local practice is so annoying that one forgoes travel to that location. That is certainly one's right.

But, deciding that one won't tip won't change local practice. It just means less income from those who depend on tips.

If everywhere in the world were the same, going to other places would not be as much fun as it is.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Big difference between:

(1) What OP had, in a lounge where no service other than plate removal was received and
(2) Free breakfast in a sit-down restaurant at hotel, where full service received from server and server probably exempted from minimum wage laws (where IMHO tipping is appropriate and necessary)

Think some comments in this thread conflating US tipping culture (which is what it is) and the $0 bill slapped down in certain lounges for no reason other than to fleece guests faced with an uncomfortable situation (which is downright tacky).
Very well said. I've never seen this in a lounge and would never tip for self service. This is not standard practice in the US. And it is interesting that the same people bashing US customs would likely be the most offended and defensive if it were their country's customs being criticized.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It would be lovely if the Brits learned to drive on the correct side of the road as well. But, the bottom line is that one can't change anything about local custom (or law). All one can do is ask oneself whether the local practice is so annoying that one forgoes travel to that location. That is certainly one's right.

But, deciding that one won't tip won't change local practice. It just means less income from those who depend on tips.

If everywhere in the world were the same, going to other places would not be as much fun as it is.
i'm failing to understand your logic..

a tip is warranted if you received tableside service. at a self service buffet there is no tip warrantied. so to call travelers cheapos for not leaving a tip at a self serve buffet is baffling.
wrp96 and nequine like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by JBord
Very well said. I've never seen this in a lounge and would never tip for self service. This is not standard practice in the US. And it is interesting that the same people bashing US customs would likely be the most offended and defensive if it were their country's customs being criticized.
If you're getting breakfast in the restaurant, then I don't have an issue with getting the bill. It is a reminder to tip for the buffet, which, IMHO, is 10-15% since you're not really getting waiter service. But in a concierge lounge/club? I would be steamed for getting a "reminder bill" in there for anything at all. Breakfast or evening foods, it comes with the room as either part of the rate or is comped due to Marriott status.

Is this common across Westin properties? I cannot recall ever seeing a bill for a Marriott lounge/club, at any property in any country.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: QR: Gold; Marriott: Amb; UA: 1K; Taj: Silv
Originally Posted by catocony
If you're getting breakfast in the restaurant, then I don't have an issue with getting the bill. It is a reminder to tip for the buffet, which, IMHO, is 10-15% since you're not really getting waiter service. But in a concierge lounge/club? I would be steamed for getting a "reminder bill" in there for anything at all. Breakfast or evening foods, it comes with the room as either part of the rate or is comped due to Marriott status.

Is this common across Westin properties? I cannot recall ever seeing a bill for a Marriott lounge/club, at any property in any country.
Some of the Marriott properties in India have started giving a bill for lounge access, but they explained that it was for accounting and administrative use. The bill has the actual amount on it, then has No Pay printed at the bottom, and there is no line for a gratuity. The lounge staff in India are extremely apologetic as they view it as an additional burden on the guests.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:49 am

It would be lovely if the Brits learned to drive on the correct side of the road as well. .
We do :-)
nequine and Saint4805 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver

One's post would most likely meet with Her Majesty's approval. Not sure why the part in bold was added because one can't recall anyone claiming they would attempt to change local tipping practice by not following it.
writerguyfl and :D! like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by omaralt
i'm failing to understand your logic..

a tip is warranted if you received tableside service. at a self service buffet there is no tip warrantied. so to call travelers cheapos for not leaving a tip at a self serve buffet is baffling.
A tip is warranted if one receives good or excellent service from a server. Period. I am not the server’s employer and providing him/her with a decent income is not something that should be of my concern, especially when I’m travelling for my own comfort and relaxation.

Whether it is local custom to tip everyone despite the level of the service provided, I couldn’t care less. If I am not legally or contractually required to do so, I will not tip unless I feel tipping is warranted. There are many places I travel to whose local customs I don’t follow nor feel the need to.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:24 am

Well there seems to be a lot of people not comfortable with this practice so what's the best way forward? Personally I will still go to a hotel if I like it and continue drawing a line across the 'bill' unless someone comes up with a better process?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Not when I was there a month ago! Food was set up on the counter at the back and you helped yourself. I was only there 2 nights. First night, no one came to my table so I went up to the bar to get a glass of wine.
Oh, interesting. We were there pre-merger (in May). I guess things have changed (for the worse it sounds). When we visited, breakfast was as you describe, but the evening cocktail hour wasn't. However, we didn't utilize the breakfast option since I am Platinum and they upgraded us to the main resort's breakfast buffet (which was absolutely fantastic IMHO).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
+ 1

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Have definitely received these bills with many an included/free breakfast where the breakfast charge is listed and then taken off and a line is included for gratuity. If in the US I will usually leave a $2 or $3 tip on a $20-$30 breakfast as I think that is the custom?

Although usually the breakfast is a buffet and the server does little more than bring coffee at the start, I still think it is the custom? I wonder if you declined coffee and juice, would you still be expected to tip the server? I'm not an American but I live here and I'm not sure I will ever fully understand the right amount and times to tip.

I would almost never tip a server at a breakfast buffet outside the US as this would almost definitely not be the norm or expected.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:02 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I don't believe the breakfast crew at a hotel is paid with the exempted / less-than-minimum wage. If true, and considering the low volume / low cost (i.e. low tip) of people in just 1-2 hours, they'd all be making like $15/day. Not a chance that's how it works.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
At least at Marriotts, lounge staff are not paid as waiters, which in most of the use is $2.19 or thereabouts an hour plus tips. Tips are not a big part of their income, unlike waiters.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
True, but in the evening at the Royal Beach Club in Cancun (which you must be referring to), you order your food and drinks from the staff and they serve you, so I didn't mind the tip reminder. One thing to consider in a place like Mexico is that the hourly wages stink and in many cases, tipping is the lifeblood of the position.
Many countries in Latin America/Asia charge a service charge on your room rate to cover tips to the employees. Does this property do so?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.