Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Hotel email: [email protected]

This property was reflagged to become a Westin in 2018. Pre-2018 (and therefore SPG-era) reviews and discussion can be found in this thread :
Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation] - FlyerTalk Forums
Print Wikipost

Hapuna Beach Westin Resort, Waimea, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by havenyoung
Yep the math doesn’t add up.
billed as $30 but upgrade is $25 to a $45 buffet. Not amused. Would much prefer to get daily F&B credit instead like the Courtyard we stayed a few days ago.

Update:
Apparently the Marriott vacation club privilege card 15% discount for food doesn’t apply to buffet upgrade, such BS. Had a very mixed experience from our five night stay.
Agree the elite breakfast is full of BS.
I prefer to have a choice of what I want to eat for breakfast and the only choice you get is oatmeal or cereal. You can't even use the value to order something off the menu. For people that stay multiple days, well enjoy your daily oatmeal.

Was told the reason they no longer offer the continental buffet is because of COVID. However then they seat all the elite breakfast guests in one small corner next to each other...

​​​​
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:22 pm

Looking to go in August 2022 with 2 adults; 2 kids (7/9). We will need connecting rooms.

We care mostly about pool and beach. Outdoors versus the room. Would rather no have to fight for chairs, but understand its going to be busy.

How would you rank: Westin Hapuna; Marriot Wailea; Sheraton Maui.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by playsccr
Looking to go in August 2022 with 2 adults; 2 kids (7/9). We will need connecting rooms.

We care mostly about pool and beach. Outdoors versus the room. Would rather no have to fight for chairs, but understand its going to be busy.

It really depends on what your kids like...the Hapuna has an awesome beach and is fairly calm which would be good for kids your age. Also has a nice pool for them and some green space to run around.
Never stayed at the Sheraton Maui, but if your kids are strong swimmers, there is really good snorkeling in that area.
Never stayed at the Marriott wailea, but have toured it and walked by it every day for a week while there. Not really a usable beach there, but they do have a water park pool on the back side of the resort that I'm sure they would like. The family pool is just ok...the adult pool is really nice. Tiered seating with a beautiful ocean view and an infinity pool.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 10:43 pm

Recently stayed at Hapuna and can agree the beach is really awesome. It is shallow for a good 100 feet and you can sometime catch good waves. There were enough chairs around 11 AM but towards the back of the beach.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by playsccr
From my point of view you have the order right. WH > MW > SM. The main difference is the Hapuna is more remote, its a bit more driving to other restaurants etc.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I know it seems like SNAs rarely clear at the property, but frankly, I never use mine and still have 5 from last year.

For the Westin Hapuna, there is the Lanai Suite on the ground floor which is larger, and the Premier Ocean Suite on a higher floor.

Is one better than the other? Can you actually see anything from the ground floor Lanai Suite?
Clearfield likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
staying at westin hapuna for the first time next month. From pictures I see some rooms are far away from parking lot. If i want a room near parking lot, is it the South Wing i should ask for?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by hawaiiansports
staying at westin hapuna for the first time next month. From pictures I see some rooms are far away from parking lot. If i want a room near parking lot, is it the South Wing i should ask for?
Thinking a request for a room near the parking lot might be the move.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Just witnessed an Elite member (hopefully not a FTer) loudly argue with multiple restaurant staff members about the contents of the Platinum+ breakfast. According to this person, Marriott corporate would be getting an email from them.

Listen, I get it - the breakfast benefit could be better, but verbally harassing restaurant staff for a decision that they didn't make is poor taste. I can't fathom how someone could be so dense that they would think screaming at people who likely make less money than them about the inclusions in a free breakfast is okay.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Just witnessed an Elite member (hopefully not a FTer) loudly argue with multiple restaurant staff members about the contents of the Platinum+ breakfast. According to this person, Marriott corporate would be getting an email from them.

Listen, I get it - the breakfast benefit could be better, but verbally harassing restaurant staff for a decision that they didn't make is poor taste. I can't fathom how someone could be so dense that they would think screaming at people who likely make less money than them about the inclusions in a free breakfast is okay.
Yea, some folks really need to take a step back…

On this topic, I saw in the Mauna Kea thread that their breakfast benefit was changing for the worse. Did this hotels change as well from what it was before?
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Clearfield
Yea, some folks really need to take a step back…

On this topic, I saw in the Mauna Kea thread that their breakfast benefit was changing for the worse. Did this hotels change as well from what it was before?
It's still the $25 upcharge for the full buffet that was mentioned before in this thread. I was brought the continental (large board of 5 pastries, including banana bread and a macadamia nut cinnamon roll, as well as a fruit plate) and then asked if I wanted the buffet, as well. I opted for the buffet, but I thought the pastries from the continental were delicious - honestly some of the better ones I've had in a long time and very fresh. I also enjoyed the buffet food, as well, including delicious waffles of perfect texture and macadamia syrup as well as tasty made-to-order omelettes. The guava juice was delicious, as well - though, I think you could get this with the continental, as well.

Overall, I left happy and full, despite the upcharge for some protein.

Service was also very friendly - my waitress and I spent a while talking about some TV shows we both enjoyed.
Old May 8, 2022, 8:32 pm

It's still the $25 upcharge for the full buffet that was mentioned before in this thread. I was brought the continental (large board of 5 pastries, including banana bread and a macadamia nut cinnamon roll, as well as a fruit plate) and then asked if I wanted the buffet, as well. I opted for the buffet, but I thought the pastries from the continental were delicious - honestly some of the better ones I've had in a long time and very fresh. I also enjoyed the buffet food, as well, including delicious waffles of perfect texture and macadamia syrup as well as tasty made-to-order omelettes. The guava juice was delicious, as well - though, I think you could get this with the continental, as well.

Service was also very friendly - my waitress and I spent a while talking about some TV shows we both enjoyed.
Yea, so it sounds like it hasn’t changed, which is good. I was concerned they were reducing their breakfast to follow Mauna Kea, which would be sad
Old May 9, 2022, 4:29 pm

Fun, fun, fun!

See breakfast review above - definitely one of the tastier breakfasts I have had in a long time, despite the cost.

Here's the rest of my trip report:

SNAs didn't clear, but I had been auto-upgraded to a Premier High Floor Ocean King in app a few days prior. When I arrived around 12 PM, I was told the room was ready or I could wait for a Lanai Suite to open up. Frankly, I think I made a mistake by not taking the Lanai Suite as my room was on the far south end of the hotel and had lots of land between me and the ocean. I don't think I would have missed the view being on the ground floor. Oh, well, you live and learn!

The room itself was quite nice. Large bathroom with full glass shower and separate bathtub. Pressure good, but sink pressure was too high. Toilet had heated seat and washlet. Nice chaise lounge with comfortable cushions. Bed was wonderful - thick Heavenly duvet, thick pillows, super plush mattress - this was Westin at its best! TV had Internet TV OS. Large multi-shelf safe in the closet. Balcony had large lounger as well as a bar with two benches.

Service was good - no real issues. Did not ask about late checkout as I was walking over to Mauna Kea. Daily housekeeping offered. Friendly and prompt service at Ikena for breakfast. I received a branded notebook as an Ambassador gift upon checkout.

Beach is super nice and easy - grab towels from the pool and grab a chair with an umbrella already set up. No towel cards, no weird residential section. Very calm and relaxing beach, even with lots of families. I even saw a sea turtle swimming near the shore - what fun!

I only ate on property - twice at the pool bar. The fish and chips were actually quite good.

Overall, no hesitation to recommend.

Clearfield likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 5:13 pm

^ Great, thorough review!

Definitely looking forward to our visit in ~1 month - it’s been a while planning given COVID.

Sorry to hear about your SNA not clearing. I agree I’d probably take the Lanai option too.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Clearfield
^ Great, thorough review!

Definitely looking forward to our visit in ~1 month - it’s been a while planning given COVID.

Sorry to hear about your SNA not clearing. I agree I’d probably take the Lanai option too.
It was interesting - I picked the Premier Ocean Suite as my SNA option for the view, which didn't clear. The agent at check-in mentioned that the Lanai Suite they were holding for me if I wanted it had two full bathrooms - apparently, Lanai Suites are their largest suites. I joked that I couldn't take two showers at once, but I still wish I had taken it just to see the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.