Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cancelled Reservation, Never Received Deposit Back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Long time lurker, first time poster.

About 6 weeks ago I made a reservation at the St Regis Bal Harbour. Per rate rules they charged a deposit equal to the first night’s cost.

Unfortunately a few days later I had to cancel the reservation. As this was well within the cancellation period, I was due a refund of the deposit. Fast forward a month later and numerous phone calls and I have yet to receive a refund of the deposit.

And advice how to handle this without having to do a chargeback?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LDUB
Long time lurker, first time poster.

About 6 weeks ago I made a reservation at the St Regis Bal Harbour. Per rate rules they charged a deposit equal to the first night’s cost.

Unfortunately a few days later I had to cancel the reservation. As this was well within the cancellation period, I was due a refund of the deposit. Fast forward a month later and numerous phone calls and I have yet to receive a refund of the deposit.

And advice how to handle this without having to do a chargeback?
If you've made attempts to get a refund issued and its been a month it sounds like you're in the exact situation where you should perform a chargeback. Sometimes it's the only way to get a merchant to do what they should have done already.
EuropeanPete, Kacee and Tanic like this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
There is more experience here at FT than I have, but here would be my steps:

a) Start with the GM.
b) Escalate to elite desk/ambassador (if you have elite status) or customer service manager.
c) Escalate to Mr. Marriott's office.

Hopefully somewhere between those steps, one of the Starwood Lurkers might pick this up and escalate for you.

Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try those routes first before doing a chargeback.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I would say a charge-back is a lot more sensible than going to the Marriott Family Office (or Arne Sorenson, who is I assume who was meant). Give the hotel fair warning and say you have to do a charge-back within a week if it's not addressed and then do as promised if necessary.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rule of thumb is one call or email, followed by a chargeback if you do not see the refund in 7 business days.

You are wasting your own time making multiple calls, sending "Mr. Marriott" emails and the like.

Thirty seconds of your time online and you will have a temporary credit in a day and that will become final soon enough.

Not sure why people worry so much about chargebacks. This is exactly the situation where they are effective and efficient. Also, do not forget that while most card issuers permit longer periods, you only have statutory chargeback protection for 60 days and there is no reason to risk that.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that the tendency of rental car companies to put people on their do not rent lists after a chargeback is used will quite reasonably cause someone to be afraid of using this provision.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agree with others.

I wouldn't waste my time with any of that other stuff. I'd initiate the chargeback. You've met your obligation to attempt to resolve the dispute informally.

I'd also leave a negative TA review. Not returning deposits is not excusable.
BigJC likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that the tendency of rental car companies to put people on their do not rent lists after a chargeback is used will quite reasonably cause someone to be afraid of using this provision.
One may reasonably presume that as this was a Marriott, we are talking about a hotel and not a car rental.

If you have any hard evidence of Marriott refusing rooms, e.g. DNR, to people who initiate chargebacks for clear refunds, please post that. If not, this is simply fear-mongering and might, to the detriment of some uninformed reader, cause them not to exercise a free and easy way to get back their own money.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Often1
One may reasonably presume that as this was a Marriott, we are talking about a hotel and not a car rental.

If you have any hard evidence of Marriott refusing rooms, e.g. DNR, to people who initiate chargebacks for clear refunds, please post that. If not, this is simply fear-mongering and might, to the detriment of some uninformed reader, cause them not to exercise a free and easy way to get back their own money.
This.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:49 am

I'm running into this situation. It's been 10 days and no refund. How did you resolve it?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Reaching
I'm running into this situation. It's been 10 days and no refund. How did you resolve it?
As others have pointed out above, save yourself the hassle and initiate a charge back. I just went through this nonsense with the Hotel 101 in Reykjavik - tried calling and emailing the hotel, filling out the webform several times and finally enlisting the assistance of the "Bonvoy Champion". In the end, the charge back was the thing to do and I shouldn't have wasted weeks trying to "do the right thing" via the hotel/Marriott. Lesson learned!
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re: being put on the "blacklist" if you initiate a chargeback.
If your dealings with a business ends up requiring you to initiate a chargeback and then that very business puts you on the "blacklist," why on earth would you want to give them more of your business anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.