Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's No Blackout Policy, Post-Merger General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's No Blackout Policy, Post-Merger General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Trying to book points. Surprise to find a city with 8 Marriott group hotels to have only 2 of them offering points stays (which both of them are too far from where I wanted to stay). But then I switched to cash stays and all of them pop up, with standard rooms available for booking across all the nights I wanted. Called a couple of them, basically the conversation goes like this:

Me: hello, why are you blacking out dates for points redemption even when you have standard low-rate rooms available for cash booking, isn't that against Bonvoy no blackout dates rules?

Hotel: no it's not, we are within the rules

Me: doesn't sound right as I read the no blackout dates rule right now.. (reading the rules)

Hotel: you can file a complain with them, thanks for calling, bye bye

Am I missing something about blackout date rules? Has the rules changed? I remember I never had an issue like this when it was SPG.....
Marriott's way of being a "me too" operation, they say no blackout dates but define that as a property only needs to offer one room for points to check the box. It does not mean no blackout for the day you actually want to book a stay. Just like they call being able to split a single reservation between cash and points being a Cash & Points booking that every other chain means each night uses both components.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:56 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ryan182
From my understanding the scam here is Marriott allows their properties to allow as few as 1 redemption night and still claim no blackouts. So unlike SPG where all standard rooms were bookabke with points you could have a property with 50 standard rooms but only 1 available for redemption. To be fair, some SPG properties had a very limited number of “standard” rooms but at least there was some transparency.
More coverage of this issue:
https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-blackout-dates/
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I'm running into this problem with a Luxury Collection property which, under section 3.2.n of the terms and conditions of the Bonvoy program, has no right to hold back standard rooms from point redemption. I'm looking at a 5 night award. The lowest room category is available for sale for all 5 nights, but it is only offering it available on points for the last 3 nights. It wants $499 for the first two nights for that room. My ambassador is on medical leave and of course they haven't bothered to assign a replacement. So, I called the general ambassador line 24 hours ago. That ambassador tried to contact the hotel, but they told him that the revenue manager was busy and would get back to him. He told me he'd call me back. He didn't. So I tried calling the ambassador line again just now and the ambassador I talked to this time tried calling the hotel and was told that there were no managers on duty. She looked in the notes and they show that the first ambassador is still waiting to hear back from the hotel. So, it seems pretty obvious that the hotel is avoiding speaking to them. I'm a Lifetime Titanium Elite and I'm so frustrated with this new program I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and just move my business elsewhere.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I was having a similar issue looking for a redemption for a property in Puerto Vallarta last weekend. Rates were unusually very high. I did not realize I was arriving on a Saturday of a Mexican statutory holiday long weekend. After several attempts, I was able to book the Category 4, 25K Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Convention Centre for the Saturday night with a ridiculous $960/nt cash rate. I stayed 2 additional nights at $151/nt.

James
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Well, I ranked up 750,000 points trying to save up for a great family vacation, but now I guess nada....
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ac/elite
I'm running into this problem with a Luxury Collection property which, under section 3.2.n of the terms and conditions of the Bonvoy program, has no right to hold back standard rooms from point redemption. I'm looking at a 5 night award. The lowest room category is available for sale for all 5 nights, but it is only offering it available on points for the last 3 nights. It wants $499 for the first two nights for that room. My ambassador is on medical leave and of course they haven't bothered to assign a replacement. So, I called the general ambassador line 24 hours ago. That ambassador tried to contact the hotel, but they told him that the revenue manager was busy and would get back to him. He told me he'd call me back. He didn't. So I tried calling the ambassador line again just now and the ambassador I talked to this time tried calling the hotel and was told that there were no managers on duty. She looked in the notes and they show that the first ambassador is still waiting to hear back from the hotel. So, it seems pretty obvious that the hotel is avoiding speaking to them. I'm a Lifetime Titanium Elite and I'm so frustrated with this new program I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and just move my business elsewhere.
Just an update on this. The initial ambassador I spoke to eventually did call me back and he was actually very helpful and seemed to try his best. He spoke to management at the hotel and pointed out that they were not permitted to withhold standard rooms from the reward pool under section 3.2.n, but it seems that they didn't care and did not agree to make rooms available. That ambassador has now elevated this issue to a special ambassador desk that handles problems. I'm told that I'll hear back from them within 72 hours. Since the hotel is flagrantly ignoring the terms of Bonvoy and have been given and declined the opportunity to abide by the rules, I see no reason to protect their identity any longer. The hotel in question is The Gwen in Chicago, a member of the Luxury Collection.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
He spoke to management at the hotel and pointed out that they were not permitted to withhold standard rooms from the reward pool under section 3.2.n, but it seems that they didn't care and did not agree to make rooms available. That ambassador has now elevated this issue to a special ambassador desk that handles problems.
Wow, this is exactly how management answered me when I cited 3.2.n (was told I don't care, complain to Bonvoy about me, and hung up), I guess I'm *glad* to know hotels feels Bonvoy is toothless to do anything about it that they told Bonvoy Ambassador to go away.

This is something I fear when the merger happens. Points are not only devalued (as if this is not bad enough already), but worthless as you can't meaningfully spend it.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ryan182
From my understanding the scam here is Marriott allows their properties to allow as few as 1 redemption night and still claim no blackouts. So unlike SPG where all standard rooms were bookabke with points you could have a property with 50 standard rooms but only 1 available for redemption. To be fair, some SPG properties had a very limited number of “standard” rooms but at least there was some transparency.
This has been the case with Marriott for years and years. It's not a violation of the rules, and in fact, it's just like airline awards.

That doesn't mean I like it, and it's why I'm at Hyatt these days. I jumped ship when the merger was announced since I knew that Marriott standards would replace SPG standards, and I knew well what those standards meant (although the Customer Service is exponentially worse than before).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
This has been the case with Marriott for years and years. It's not a violation of the rules, and in fact, it's just like airline awards.
Well, you’re wrong. It is a violation of the rules with many of the brands, including most or all of the legacy SPG brands. Read the Bonvoy terms and conditions section 3.2.n.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Well, you’re wrong. It is a violation of the rules with many of the brands, including most or all of the legacy SPG brands. Read the Bonvoy terms and conditions section 3.2.n.
no it’s not.

nowhere does it say if a standard room is available for revenue, then an award room should be available. That’s the old SPG rule, was never the Marriott rule.

It just says that a standard award must be available every day. It doesn’t say how many rooms. It doesn’t say when those rooms need to be available.

If there is a day of the year when there isn’t a room available on award at any time, then that’s a violation.

Same as as the old Marriott regime.

Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

nowhere does it say if a standard room is available for revenue, then an award room should be available. That’s the old SPG rule, was never the Marriott rule.

It just says that a standard award must be available every day. It doesn’t say how many rooms. It doesn’t say when those rooms need to be available.

Actually, the terms say the following:

"i. Participating Properties from the following Brands may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days: The Ritz-Carlton®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield by Marriott®, AC Hotels®, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®"

By suggesting that only the brands listed above may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption would necessarily suggest that brands not listed above (i.e. the legacy SPG brands) may not limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption. If all brands could deploy capacity controls, then the clause above would not be necessary, right?

Oh and for the record, "was never the Marriott rule" is also not true. The initial combined T&Cs from August 18th 2018 did in fact adopt the SPG policy on capacity controls (or lack thereof) for all of Marriott. The FAQs were also quite clear on this "if a room is standard room is available for cash, it is available for points." The Marriott hotel owners pitched a fit and as a result the clause above was inserted into 3.2.n to return Marriott brands to the pre-merger capacity control language.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
no it’s not.

You're not reading very carefully. The SPG brands are subject to a different rule than the Marriott brands.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by boolean64
Actually, the terms say the following:

"i. Participating Properties from the following Brands may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days: The Ritz-Carlton®, EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard®, SpringHill Suites®, Protea Hotels®, Fairfield by Marriott®, AC Hotels®, Moxy® Hotels, Residence Inn®, TownePlace Suites®"

By suggesting that only the brands listed above may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption would necessarily suggest that brands not listed above (i.e. the legacy SPG brands) may not limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption. If all brands could deploy capacity controls, then the clause above would not be necessary, right?

One might infer that, but it doesn't say that. I would argue that the explicit limitation isn't needed, (the alternative you point out). I'd also argure that if they wanted SPG to have the same policy as they used to have, they would have used the same wording for SPG that they used to have.

FAQs that have been withdrawn are of historical interest, but don't mean anything now. I do agree that there were FAQs, clarifications of policy to bloggers, etc., that would lead folks to think otherwise about policy between August 2018 and Jan 2019, but all went out the window with the Dec 2018 change. That was a real change in the discussion of what a blackout date is, beyond the insertion of the limitations.

From https://thepointsguy.com/guide/marri...icy-worthless/

Prior to Dec 2018
Blackout dates refer to a limited number of dates when a Participating Property could choose not to permit Members to redeem Points for Awards, but the Company has a “No Blackout Dates” benefit so that if there is a standard room available for booking by any means, whether by cash, credit or Points, then a Member can reserve the room using Points. The following properties either do not participate in or do not fully participate in the No Blackout Dates benefit at this time:

After Dec 2018
The Company has a “No Blackout Dates” policy, which means that, subject to the limitations and exclusions below, Participating Properties have standard rooms available every day for Award Redemptions. These limitations and exclusions are: .....(see post 86).

I'll concede that the statement TPG got as clarification said no change to legacy SPG, but there is a clear change if you read the language before and after. As far as clarifications by Marriott, they have been BS-ing members since before they eliminated BOGO certs.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:04 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're not reading very carefully. The SPG brands are subject to a different rule than the Marriott brands.
Not in my reading, which is quite carefully done.

Last edited by beachfan; Mar 24, 2019 at 2:03 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:31 am

Looks like I got Bonvoyed! Been planning a big spring break vacation for the family for NEXT year. Got up this morning to book the room (first day it's available). Nope. No availability. Good thing I got Titanium status along with my Lifetime Platinum and generated all of those points in my account.

For the record, I attempted to book:
JW Marriott Marco Island
Westin Grand Cayman
Marriott Grand Cayman
Atlantis (any of them)
RC Amelia Island
RC Fort Lauderdale

No availability at any of those.

Last edited by friscotrvlr; Mar 24, 2019 at 9:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.