Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's No Blackout Policy, Post-Merger General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's No Blackout Policy, Post-Merger General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:36 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Keyser
facing a problem with a particular property that seems to have blacked out award availability from the 23rd of december - 1st of january....

before & after those dates a classic room city view, king bed & a classic room city view, 2 twin/single bed(s) remains available for bookings with points....the property continues to sell the same 2 room types for revenue rates on the above mentioned dates but there is no award availability....

i remember this happened a few times during the spg days as well & once the lurkers were made aware of it they stepped in & did what they had to do to get the properties to open up award availability....have reached out to the lurkers again....lets see what they can do now....
You may have already considered, but one thing to check -- does the cash room availability still show up if you search signed out in an incognito window? Marriott.com appears to show rooms available under the elite room availability guarantee when you search online if signed in, so there can be cases where a hotel is genuinely sold out and therefore it makes sense that no points rooms are available, but when signed in they'll still show you a cash rate under the availability guarantee. (And if you booked the cash rate, and nobody cancelled or no-showed between now and the date of the stay, presumably they would end up walking someone from the hotel during your stay.)
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bgriff
You may have already considered, but one thing to check -- does the cash room availability still show up if you search signed out in an incognito window? Marriott.com appears to show rooms available under the elite room availability guarantee when you search online if signed in, so there can be cases where a hotel is genuinely sold out and therefore it makes sense that no points rooms are available, but when signed in they'll still show you a cash rate under the availability guarantee. (And if you booked the cash rate, and nobody cancelled or no-showed between now and the date of the stay, presumably they would end up walking someone from the hotel during your stay.)
i tried that too....room shows as available on a cash rate....
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
facing a problem with a particular property that seems to have blacked out award availability from the 23rd of december - 1st of january....
Marriott allows properties to black-out during "high demand" periods, and I suspect that's the excuse here.

That said, I hope the lurkers are able to open space for you.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Even without the blackout, what may be going on is that the hotel has put capacity controls in place for those dates. The days of "if you can book a standard room for cash you can book it for points" are gone. So long as the hotel makes one standard room available for points (no matter how many standard rooms are available for cash) then the hotel has met its obligation in the eyes of Marriott. Doubt you'll have much luck changing this. In my opinion one of the biggest "enhancements" from the merger
anteater and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott allows properties to black-out during "high demand" periods, and I suspect that's the excuse here.

That said, I hope the lurkers are able to open space for you.
the lurkers came back with an answer that doesn't give me much hope....they say the same room type is not available for cash booking on my stay dates....that doesn't seem to be true....

before the 23rd of december the classic room city view, guest room, 1 king & the classic room city view, guest room, 2 twin/single bed(s) are both available for 30,000 points a night....

from the 22nd - 27th of december both the classic room city view, guest room, 1 king & the classic room city view, guest room, 2 twin/single bed(s) are available for aed 703 per night but not against points....

have attached a screenshot below....

Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: Yes
No blackouts would be a nice TIT / AMB guaranteed benefit. Sadly, we have a less consumer friendly post merger program.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boolean64
Even without the blackout, what may be going on is that the hotel has put capacity controls in place for those dates. The days of "if you can book a standard room for cash you can book it for points" are gone. So long as the hotel makes one standard room available for points (no matter how many standard rooms are available for cash) then the hotel has met its obligation in the eyes of Marriott. Doubt you'll have much luck changing this. In my opinion one of the biggest "enhancements" from the merger
that's pretty much what seems to be happening....the exact standard room type is available for cash but not on points....
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
the lurkers came back with an answer that doesn't give me much hope....they say the same room type is not available for cash booking on my stay dates....that doesn't seem to be true....
Have you checked availability for each day separately? If any day in your date range is unavailable then there won't be availability for a multi-night award that spans the day(s) where no award space exists.

It looks like you are trying to book a pay 4, stay 5 award. You know Dec 22-23 is available, but if, say Dec 22-25 & Dec 26-27 is available & Dec 25-26 isn't, you are unfortunately out of luck.

Try checking each night separately. If any one or more days isn't available, you have your answer. If all 4 nights from December 23rd are unavailable, the hotel has likely sold out their allotment of standard rooms available for redemption.

James
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Have you checked availability for each day separately? If any day in your date range is unavailable then there won't be availability for a multi-night award that spans the day(s) where no award space exists.

It looks like you are trying to book a pay 4, stay 5 award. You know Dec 22-23 is available, but if, say Dec 22-25 & Dec 26-27 is available & Dec 25-26 isn't, you are unfortunately out of luck.

Try checking each night separately. If any one or more days isn't available, you have your answer. If all 4 nights from December 23rd are unavailable, the hotel has likely sold out their allotment of standard rooms available for redemption.

James
all days between december 23rd - january 1st are unavailable for redemption bookings....doesn't matter whether you check for a single day or all days together....the same room type is available before a particular date to book with points & that exact same room type is only available for cash bookings after that particular date....its just a convenient way for the property to work around the 'no blackout policy'....in reality the standard rooms are available but the property is choosing not to offer them for points bookings....
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
all days between december 23rd - january 1st are unavailable for redemption bookings....doesn't matter whether you check for a single day or all days together....the same room type is available before a particular date to book with points & that exact same room type is only available for cash bookings after that particular date....its just a convenient way for the property to work around the 'no blackout policy'....in reality the standard rooms are available but the property is choosing not to offer them for points bookings....
Unfortunately, they are not obligated to. As was said earlier, as long as one was available each day, sans a "blackout" granted for an special event such as a major sporting game, they have met their obligation.

James
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Unfortunately, they are not obligated to. As was said earlier, as long as one was available each day, sans a "blackout" granted for an special event such as a major sporting game, they have met their obligation.

James
of course they are not obligated to at all....its just a major policy shift from spg to marriott....its unfortunate but it is what it is....just makes me miss the old spg days even more....
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
of course they are not obligated to at all....its just a major policy shift from spg to marriott....its unfortunate but it is what it is....just makes me miss the old spg days even more....
Perhaps it's time to switch the thread to Marriott's Limited No Blackout Policy With Disclaimers since Marriott indeed does allow blackouts, minimum stay requirements, changing descriptions of base rooms to limit award inventory....
margarita girl and Keyser like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Perhaps it's time to switch the thread to Marriott's Limited No Blackout Policy With Disclaimers since Marriott indeed does allow blackouts, minimum stay requirements, changing descriptions of base rooms to limit award inventory....
I think you're referring to Marriott's Bogus No Blackout Policy.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcstudent
All along i think the focus in language on blackouts (even in this thread that i started and believe it got renamed by moderators to "no blackout") has really not done us any favors. Actual blackouts are much much lower impact than the allowance of capacity controls. The real loss of award inventory (for legacy SPG properties) is the hotels' ability to list just one room and be in compliance. having a true no blackout policy would not alleviate much of the frustration we experience. Only going back to "if a standard room is available for cash, then its available for points" would do that. And that's not going to happen. Marriott tried to make that stick when the merger happened, even using that specific language in FAQs and maybe even in T&Cs. But for whatever reason, either Marriott or the legacy Marriott hotel owners decided this position was untenable and it was dropped. I remember reading out loud from the website to the hotel at the very beginning of this thread and several Marriott folks and all of them were clear that this just couldn't be and the website must be wrong...and a few months later, the website was updated to what we have now.

Last edited by boolean64; Dec 10, 2020 at 7:35 am
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:42 am

Marriott has used the term "no blackouts" to imply they don't allow either blackout dates or capacity controls. Of course, now they don't impose meaningful restrictions on either.

The flip side of this is that many Marriott properties are still pretty good about offering award rooms, which is why we can still sometimes get outsized value (>1 cpp) on award stays. Even at Hyatt, where the rules are much more member friendly, the properties that don't participate in good faith have found ways to game the system (unreasonable minimum stay requirements being the principal means).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.