Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The SPG Hongta was a St. Regis property. It is within walking distance to the place I frequent. I do not like the Hyatt towers. IMO they look ugly in Shanghai landscape. What a shame. I like more traditional symmetric towers, like NY Empire tower. Anyhow... The executive suite is spacious. Bed comfortable. But the carpet should be replaced. The club lounge has limited selections and is a little crowded. I just hate the lady who sat at a 4-person table for the entire night and I had to move up level with my kids. The morning breakfast was just average. The service is usual Chinese style service, ok, not super.

KINetics likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:25 pm
Suspended

I just came back from Shanghai and stayed at Le Royal Meridien and Hongta, both SPG properties. They are not the top properties, but both have excellent locations and decent. Both had their glories.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 31, 2018 at 7:26 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RedSun
I just came back from Shanghai and stayed at Le Royal Meridien and Hongta, both SPG properties. They are not the top properties, but both have excellent locations and decent. Both had their glories.
Excellent locations? I can admit that People's Square is pretty central, but please explain how the Hongta has an "excellent location".
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
Excellent locations? I can admit that People's Square is pretty central, but please explain how the Hongta has an "excellent location".
Location-wise is only relative to the places we frequent. This is only for me since the places I want to to do are within the walking distance of both hotels.

The taxi is Shanghai is really bad. Most of them have extremely high mileages and have "check engine" lights on. No one cares. So I want to cut down the taxi time to the bare minimum.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RedSun
Location-wise is only relative to the places we frequent. This is only for me since the places I want to to do are within the walking distance of both hotels.

The taxi is Shanghai is really bad. Most of them have extremely high mileages and have "check engine" lights on. No one cares. So I want to cut down the taxi time to the bare minimum.
Most people don't frequent places near the Hongta
Didi is better than taxis
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I thought that the Marriott City Center lounge and restaurant breakfast were both pretty weak. A long way from the JW Chengfeng park 1.5 years ago, not to mention other properties in China/HK.
The City Center Lounge is huge and has a great view. I didn't eat there since you could also eat at the buffet breakfast downstairs. The selection is huge at buffet, but the quality is a bit limited. I did notice that the fruit selection is more high end in the lounge.

Will be in Shanghai for a month in a week. Will have to check out different options. If anyone is there, let me know.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:48 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by SP03
The City Center Lounge is huge and has a great view. I didn't eat there since you could also eat at the buffet breakfast downstairs. The selection is huge at buffet, but the quality is a bit limited. I did notice that the fruit selection is more high end in the lounge.

Will be in Shanghai for a month in a week. Will have to check out different options. If anyone is there, let me know.
LOL, there every other week at LRM
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Unless you have a specific reason to be near Hongta I wouldn't recommend it - middle of nowhere compared w virtually every other Marriott property. It Is also an awful property that should have been deflagged 7-8 years ago
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Originally Posted by chipmaster

SPG hotels that I’ve stayed at assessment. ( SPG preferred as of today )

Four Points Pudong (531rmb): Right next to Sheraton and line 4 station. Nice view for breakfast from the top floor and reasonable wide selection of food, get what you pay for. Marginal gym, no lounge but can’t beat value. Same nice local stuff as the Sheraton Pudong. On my own dime I might make this my first choics

Sheraton Pudong(626): Better gym next to Youyou so lots of alternative local eats and such. Worth the upgrade for better gym, pool and lounge over the Four Points. Basic dinner and drinks for Happy Hour in the Lounge that isn’t really passable for dinner long term.

The Hongta Hotel(570): Hotel has seen better years about 20 years ago. Needs a complete remodel, made to order breakfast interesting, but limited menu is a drawback and not as nice as Sheraton. Lounge looks nice but selection about Sheraton level or below for happy hour.

Sheraton Hongkpou(685): nicest and newest of the Sheraton I've stayed at, nice lounge if not same old selection that is limiting. Being new pool and gym is better if not limited weights and machines.

Westin(883): exceeds my corporate limit, best gym and food IMHO. Would be my best value selection over LRM for food, drink, service and such.

Of course the more expensive all seem to be better but someone has to pay, LOL

Wanted to add to the list.

Twelve at HengShan, a Luxury Collection Hotel (1500-1900 rmb): Nice hotel and service. Got a cake delivered to my room when I was staying here on my birthday. Pool is nice and big but located in the basement. Didnt visit the Gym. No Lounge, but great SPG recognition. I usually get upgraded to what they call a suite but really its just a slightly bigger room. Dont really mind since its big enough for me. Conveniently located in the french concession and near the HengShan road (line 1 subway station). Only complaint is the building nextdoor which is some sort of ktv/nightclub facility. If im walking back to the hotel a little later on in the evening promoters usually try to get me into the clubs.

The St Regis Shanghai JingAn (1500-1900 rmb): Great hotel, however the hotel service is soso. The service I feel is not up to the st regis standard, the rooms however are gorgeous. The gym and pool are typical 5* hotel facilities, nothing special. After staying here once decided that next time I would stay at the Portman or twelve and HengShan and be in a better location and have somewhat better service.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Nice thread, but tough to get through all the hotel options here with the legacy brands that I am not yet familiar with.
Any recommendation from the Shanghai experts? My first time to visit and only 2.5 days.
Here is what is important to me: Lounge access (nice lounge where you can spend an hour in the evening relaxing after a day in town, a decent room (don't need suites, really), good access to transportation but also close to 'places to visit'.
The rates I am seeing for my dates are the following:
Le Royal Meridien: 1009 CNY refundable, 862 CNY pre-paid
JW: 1000 CNY refundable (corp rate)
Westin Bund: 1300 CNY refundable, 1068 CNY pre-paid
Sheraton Hongkou: 855 CNY refundable, 694 CNY pre-paid
Twelve at Hengshan: 1147 CNY refundable

I am sensing the JW is winning ... but would love to hear opinions
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I would go with either JW or Westin. The Le Meredien is nice but I believe it’s still undergoing renovation
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
JW first. Le Meridien 2nd but check on where they are w renovations. Marriott on Tibet rd is ok, and Westin Bund is ok as well. Defibite no on Hongkou. Too far from touristy sites
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by moondog
Hi all. I'm starting this thread because the merger has seemed to cause some confusion among members about suitable hotel choices.

Assuming this thread becomes a "master thread", we should create a wiki post for it, but in the meantime, allow me to add my thoughts here (all prices should be regarded as benchmarks only, due to the fact that the market is dynamic...though not nearly as dynamic as Hong Kong):

1. Portman 1000
-in spite of the small rooms, I place this property at the top of my list because of the location, the pool, and nearby dining options

2. JW Tomorrow Square 900
-among the 3 properties near People's Square, the JW is the best, but the elevators are a bit annoying

3. LRM 850
-I would not stay at the LRM until the construction is complete; plus, it also has an annoying elevator system

4. Marriott City Centre 850
-I have nothing bad to say about this property, but paying an extra 50 for the JW (when this is possible) is a no brainer

5. Yuyuan Ren 750
-the location is really convenient for ME because I live and work on Line 10
-I also thought the room service robot was really cool
-that having been said, if you don't need this specific location, other properties are probably more suitable

6. Zhongshan Park Ren 650
-great value if you are okay with the area (I am)

7. Westin 1000
-I've never understood the appeal
-ETA: when they first opened, their Sunday brunch was Y175 for two people; that was a pretty great deal, but no longer exists

8. RC Pudong 2000, but their VIP card costs around the same, and includes numerous coupons
-this is a very nice hotel, but unless you need to be in Lujiazui, staying west of the river is the way to go

I realize that I'm missing a number of properties in this post; let's discuss.

So why JW over Marriott CC?
I am going for 5 days, and would like the best experience. (lounge, service, breakfast main points)

Last edited by dcsnowwake; Sep 20, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SP03
I would go with either JW or Westin. The Le Meredien is nice but I believe it’s still undergoing renovation
Originally Posted by SHLTP
JW first. Le Meridien 2nd but check on where they are w renovations. Marriott on Tibet rd is ok, and Westin Bund is ok as well. Defibite no on Hongkou. Too far from touristy sites

Thx! Given the rate and recommendation I will go with the JW
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: USAirways Dividend Miles
Chance of Club Level Upgrade: Ritz Portman or JW

Hello.

Marriott Platinum. First ever trip to Shanghai. Have narrowed hotels to Ritz Portman and JW Tomorrow Square. I stay frequently in Marriott mid level properties. Occasionally Ritz properties when price is right. (have really never stay in Starwood properties due to allegiance and point stacking)

Will be booking either Ritz or JW under "member" rate category for a 3 day stay. Understanding Club Level / Executive Level upgrade process can have many variables, what are your impressions of my chances of being upgraded to concierge levels in either property? I am not interested in room category upgrades but rather an upgrade that gives you access to the concierge lounges?

Im also up for hearing about other properties for club level upgrade access. I picked these 2 because of their tourist area access locations and because Im not interested in staying at a mid-level property on this trip (Marriott or Sheraton for ex)

thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.