Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:36 am

No, topic is still there : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

But search tool can't find it.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
The St. Regis is now bookable. It won't be completely finished before July, but I just canceled my LRM reservation and booked the SR instead. Super excited!
Funny, I did search here on FT, it really doesn't show up. But I meant they reset the comments on the Starwood website. I was following them and then suddenly one day they were all gone!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
The St Regis is really getting slammed on the reviews. I think they even reset (eg, deleted) the early reviews but the new ones aren't so hot either. I booked a stay for early next month, I guess we'll see. I'm torn between the StR, new W, and the old LRM.
The decor is bizarre too, from TripAdvisor photos it looks like some of the materials and furniture they've gone with already look dated despite the hotel only just having opened.

The W is getting spectacular reviews by contrast (despite the location), looking forward to trying it out in a couple of months!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:25 pm

So has anyone stayed at both the new St. Regis and W yet? Would be very interested to see a comparison!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:13 pm

I see review of W Shanghai and I was at STR Shanghai and think that W Shanghai will be much nicer to stay.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by HHQX888
I see review of W Shanghai and I was at STR Shanghai and think that W Shanghai will be much nicer to stay.
Yes, was my general impression but just wondering if anyone has stayed at both yet.

I have back-to-back bookings at both coming up shortly unless I drop the idea of the St. Regis and just stay at the W. They were both roughly the same price when I booked a couple of months ago, the St. Regis price has actually gone down slightly over the period and the W has increased by about 60-70%! Probably tells you something.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, was my general impression but just wondering if anyone has stayed at both yet.

I have back-to-back bookings at both coming up shortly unless I drop the idea of the St. Regis and just stay at the W. They were both roughly the same price when I booked a couple of months ago, the St. Regis price has actually gone down slightly over the period and the W has increased by about 60-70%! Probably tells you something.
I stayed at both on back-to-back stays after the W shortly opened. Much prefer the W over the St. Regis. I disliked the staff attitude at the St. Regis the most.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Much prefer the W over the St. Regis. I disliked the staff attitude at the St. Regis the most.
Wanted to book it on Points & Cash rate, but it is unavailable completely: SPG system doesn't show even a single date available (i.e. not only my dates, but throughout the year). Disappointing, since cash rates are pretty ridiculous.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
I will be staying in Shanghai 8 nights in March as a first time tourist, which of the Starwood properties would be best considering the product itself but also the location? I'm looking for a central location to fully experience what the city has to offer. I usually prefer newer properties with modern decor.

The StR and W both seem to look very good on paper, how do they look location wise? The price gap between them and the Westin and LRM which appear to be the other to-go properties there is significant, are they worth the extra money (the W has quite good redemption value at 0.034 per point)? There are also like 20 other properties, are there worth looking into?

The some Marriott properties also seem to be good (the JW!) but I'd prefer to stick to SPG due to the Q1 promo.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by porkie
I will be staying in Shanghai 8 nights in March as a first time tourist, which of the Starwood properties would be best considering the product itself but also the location? I'm looking for a central location to fully experience what the city has to offer. I usually prefer newer properties with modern decor.

The StR and W both seem to look very good on paper, how do they look location wise? The price gap between them and the Westin and LRM which appear to be the other to-go properties there is significant, are they worth the extra money (the W has quite good redemption value at 0.034 per point)? There are also like 20 other properties, are there worth looking into?

The some Marriott properties also seem to be good (the JW!) but I'd prefer to stick to SPG due to the Q1 promo.
I guess it depends on what you’re looking for and looking to do - I was a first-timer to Shanghai/China last August and stayed at LRM, the Yuluxe and LM Minhang over the course of a week. Based on that, I found LRM to be really great - location wise, Nanjing Road is super touristy and mobbed more often than not but it’s a direct line down to the spectacular Bund viewing point, lots of shops and pockets to explore and the hotel itself is getting on in age [currently under major renovation] but their club lounge is excellent and the views are fantastic. The StR is pretty well-located too and the W’s views are money, but I’d highly recommend LRM for those virtues alone [for what it’s worth, the JW is a block or two over from LRM]. Happy to answer more detailed questions too.

khabah
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Of the properties you mention LRM and JW are the best located by far: however, both are on the older side. But in find perfrctly acceptable. Older but not rundown. I only bring this up as you said you prefer modern.

The SHtR and W both have good locations but not as centrally located for a tourist as the other 2. But close enough. Hardware wise will be much better than the previous older two.

Frankly you cant go wrong with any of them. All 4 are in good enough locations for tourists. Shanghai has such good restaurants and bars you hopefully won’t be in your room too much anyway
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:48 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by porkie

8 nights is a long time for just this city, you aren't considering a few days out in Hangzhou or other outlying areas?

I spend a lot of the time at LRM, budget precludes me from considering the other two, StR and W. IMHO for the dollars or points the LRM is a good value. The staff there is very attentive better than the Sheraton Pudong or Fourpoints which are of course two lower class but cheaper.

As the other poster mentioned I concur with all the points.

Location as can't be beat, being at the edge of East Nanjing walk and People's Park make it central and a walk to many things, and a 5' walk to Line 2 metro which from there you can really get anywhere.

The hotel is dated, no question, and as a result they've started a 2 1/2 year remodeling. The main lobby is currently closed, so an already strange system of having to go from ground floor to lobby on 11th floor is compounded by having to enter by side, with two elevator options instead of the original 4 confusion banks of elevators. The shopping and lobby is scheduled for Oct 2018 completion and then they start a by floor renovation to bring up the appearance, and likely the pricing too, LOL.

The lounge on the 44th floor has amazing views, so it'll come down to what is important to you. I don't think you'll feel like you are slumming as it is cheaper than the other two and should be currently.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Westin

Westin Bund is another option。
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:20 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Has someone here ever been to Sheraton Waigaoqiao?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
reasons to visit Waigagqiao

Originally Posted by escape4
Has someone here ever been to Sheraton Waigaoqiao?
no, but I did learn why its cheaper than the others:
- its closer to the airport than to the CBD;
- it caters to visitors to the Shanghai free trade zone;
- its the closest Sheraton to Disney!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.