Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
If Lagoon View 2 double is the lowest room type offered (check w/ hotel listing) then just reply and point it out. Often standard rooms are still on sale on 3rd party sites when they are no longer on Marriott.com In that case ... no LNF possible.
Originally Posted by funkbandit
LNF would still be possible. Just the room types would have to match (i.e. the room names would need to be somewhat similar).
Many thanks guys.
Actually as a long-term BRGer (I really miss BRG... not LNF) I usually just file a new claim But it is good to learn at least LNF is not irrational like Hyatt's scam! Will try to do some ping pong if they reject based on the same reason.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
800-771-5665
Thank you! Much appreciated.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:31 am

absolutely not the case. Sorry. Somewhat similar is not enough. If the Marriott room type is clearly not the standard room type so e.g. the offer Standard and Standard with a view ... you can't compare to one that is just called standard ... just doesn't work that way.
I beg to differ. For example, if the superior room is the "standard room" you can LNF/BRG this room type against an OTA calling it "standard room".
I have also had success with name similarities like "Harbour view" and "Sea view" when the property didn't distinguish on its MR site. Or "Park view" and "Garden view". Those went through alright.

You are right when you say that "standard" won't LNF/BRG against "standard with a view" since these two names are fairly dissimilar (and clearly state a difference).
GalaxyChris likes this.

Last edited by funkbandit; Feb 21, 2019 at 3:04 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I have had droves of successful BRG/LNF claims against OTA using standard room as naming convention.
What I have done in such cases to is to claim against the lowest category room making the argument that a standard room is equivalent with the lowest category room type.
Remember at the end of the day its a all about establishing a mapping between OTA room names and marriott.com room names.
That is when you book a room via an OTA you will be designated a room category in terms of marriott.com, hence by assigning a "standard room" to the lowest category available on marriott.com is actually the same as assigning the most unfavorable mapping between OTA room names to marriott.com room names with respect to you as a submitter of a BRG.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:17 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I think what I hate the most about Marriott's LNF is the lack of consistency. Here are two recent examples:

1) Submitted a LNF for myself and one for my friend (using his account). Both approved, one at $99, the other at $90. Exact same BRG, nothing has changed at the OTA.
2) Submitted a LNF for myself which was approved and then another for my friend 24 hrs later (using his account). His was denied even though absolutely nothing has changed in the OTA rate. Reason given: "The rate available on the comparison site did not have the same booking requirements as what you have booked with Marriott".
100% agree, sometimes it feels like gambling.

Last week I submit two claims within 5 minutes (same OTA, same property, between the two stays was only 1 week)
The first one get denyed the second one get approved (so it is clear the rate had be available for the first too)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I beg to differ. For example, if the superior room is the "standard room" you can LNF/BRG this room type against an OTA calling it "standard room".
I have also had success with name similarities like "Harbour view" and "Sea view" when the property didn't distinguish on its MR site. Or "Park view" and "Garden view". Those went through alright.

You are right when you say that "standard" won't LNF/BRG against "standard with a view" since these two names are fairly dissimilar (and clearly state a difference).
please read my original post. It does not matter what the name is. What matters is whether the room offered on Marriott is the lowest room category the hotel offers ... then you can claim against a 'standard' room with a 3rd part even if the name does not sound similar at all. There are plenty of cases where the lowest room sold on Marriott.com is NOT the lowest room category in which case you are out of luck with LNF/BRG (I realize this was different w/ SPG).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:24 am

please read my original post. It does not matter what the name is. What matters is whether the room offered on Marriott is the lowest room category the hotel offers ... then you can claim against a 'standard' room with a 3rd part even if the name does not sound similar at all. There are plenty of cases where the lowest room sold on Marriott.com is NOT the lowest room category in which case you are out of luck with LNF/BRG (I realize this was different w/ SPG).
I have read your post. Thank you. FYI: You can LNF/BRG any room type. So if the Interstellar Emperor Room is sold by the hotel at a higher price than on a competing site, you may elect to LNF/BRG those two rates against each other and then complete your stay in the Interstellar Emperor Room.
No need to focus on "lowest category". Safe travels!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:48 am

In an argument with the LNF/BRG team again:
I have booked a rate incl. breakfast and compared this to a lower rate incl. breakfast. Now the claim was approved but the breakfast benefit was removed. Is this correct?
Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
In an argument with the LNF/BRG team again:
I have booked a rate incl. breakfast and compared this to a lower rate incl. breakfast. Now the claim was approved but the breakfast benefit was removed. Is this correct?
Thanks.
That is incorrect, the breakfast should be there.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
That is incorrect, the breakfast should be there.
And now it is.
X-ON and margarita girl like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
So I just had a claim got semi-approved. Yes, Semi-Approved.

What the BRG team did is that they checked day by day for the claim submitted (the claim was 13 nights), and approved the nights that were less on the competing website. However, the nights that were less on Marriott.com were not approved. This doesn't make any sense as the daily rate as a 13 night package would be different than on a nightly basis.

Has anyone experienced such a process?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
yes... its ridiculous but Marriott...

I am wondering if the time lost by the lnf operator to calculate that is even worth it...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:40 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
So I just had a claim got semi-approved. Yes, Semi-Approved.

Has anyone experienced such a process?
Makes no sense at all. Otherwise any hotel could artificially decide that rates are 2x, 0, 2x, 0, 2x, 0, 2x, 0 alternatively for each night of a stay and therefore any LNF will only be valid for half of the nights?

I think the only thing that should matter is the total rate for the entire stay, regardless how they decided to break it down by night.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
.....What the BRG team did is that they checked day by day for the claim submitted (the claim was 13 nights), and approved the nights that were less on the competing website. However, the nights that were less on Marriott.com were not approved.....
Unfortunately, this is sop for Marriott BRG. I miss Starwood BRG.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Here's the reply I recieved.

In cases of multi-night stays, we first review if the comparison rate total is less expensive than the Marriott reservation total (excluding taxes and fees unless they are included in the room rate). Should we find a comparison total is less expensive on a multi-night stay and the comparison source lists specific nightly rates, we then compare those specific nightly rates to the actual nightly rates offered by Marriott, adjusting the rates only for those nights in which the specific nightly comparison rate is less expensive than the Marriott rate. If a comparison source does not offer specific nightly rates but rather only a room total (for example, Booking.com), we calculate the average nightly comparison rate and again proceed to compare this rate to the actual nightly rates of the Marriott reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.