Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee Discussion Thread

This thread is about Marriott's BRG. If you don't know what BRG is - here's the Marriott BRG and here's the claim form.
If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your claim and wish for a second review you may reply back by email or call Marriott's BRG hotline 1-800-771-5665. A human is available at this number beginning at 9 am EST.

If you are new to this, and would like to ask fellow FTers questions regarding BRGs, then this thread is the place to start.

Hotel Name:
Date of stay:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Marriott Brand Website Rate:
Competing Rate:
Actual Approved Rate:

Print Wikipost

Marriott BRG Best Rate Guarantee (formerly LNF) Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by satz
I do a handful of LNF every year with Marriott and every single time the rate is changed right away to reflect the LNF rate if it is approved.

I just did an LNF request today and it came back approved but instead of having the rate changed the email says to "Please present this e-mail upon arrival at the hotel. Here are the approved details our hotel colleagues will update for you prior to check in:" and "if you have any questions regarding your Best Rate Guarantee claim or if you have any issues with the rate charged at check out, please contact us at [email protected] within 15 days of departure. I wish you a pleasant stay at our property."

Is this normal?
That is the modus operandi of the legacy SPG BRG given that we now are on the MR reservation platform the rate should be possible to be updated ... strange
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by satz
I do a handful of LNF every year with Marriott and every single time the rate is changed right away to reflect the LNF rate if it is approved.

I just did an LNF request today and it came back approved but instead of having the rate changed the email says to "Please present this e-mail upon arrival at the hotel. Here are the approved details our hotel colleagues will update for you prior to check in:" and "if you have any questions regarding your Best Rate Guarantee claim or if you have any issues with the rate charged at check out, please contact us at [email protected] within 15 days of departure. I wish you a pleasant stay at our property."

Is this normal?
At least you got a message to present the email. Good thing I kept mine.

I emailed them them back saying the new rate was not reflected on my reservation and no one responded. I ended up calling LNF and they assured me that the hotel does have the new rates.

My husband filed a claim a few days ago and that the LNF rate shows correctly on his reservation.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by X-ON
That is the modus operandi of the legacy SPG BRG given that we now are on the MR reservation platform the rate should be possible to be updated ... strange
Interesting! I replied to the email asking why the rate was not changed and said that usually it is changed to reflect the LNF one. Someone responded a few hours later and made the change.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:16 pm

Hotel Name: Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel
Arrival Date: 29 Jan 2019
Departure Date: 30 Jan 2019
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 1
Room Type: King
Marriott Brand Website Rate: $273 (+ tax)/night
Competing Rate: $266 (+ tax)/night
Actual Approved Rate: $176 (+ tax)/night -- rep found $235/night and gave me the discount based off that. Nooo complaints here about that!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Hotel Name: sheraton boston hotel....
Arrival Date: 2 nights in april....
Number of Rooms: 1....
Number of Guests: 1....
Room Type: traditional king....
Marriott Brand Website Rate: $244 plus taxes per night....
Competing Rate: $211 plus taxes per night....
Competing Web Site: via hotelscombined....
Actual Approved Rate: $158.75 plus taxes per night....
LNF Award: 25% discount....
Comments: quick turnaround in under 2 hours....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just to clarify, if I had done a LNF for 2 rooms, it should be 5000pt for each room?
previously under SPG , I would have gotten 2k SPG points per room. However for one of my recent claim, I only saw points given for one of the 2 rooms.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: Some
I find Marriott responds far more quickly than SPG's BRG ever did (SPG seldom came back within 24 hours whereas Marriott almost always does). However, in addition to the issues discussed above I'm finding it basically impossible to predict when a claim will be successful or not with Marriott. It's not as bad as, say, IHG who basically just try to come up with any possible reason to deny the claim, but it still seems very random as to how the rules are applied each time.

Case in point - just did an LNF for the W Doha. Found a much cheaper rate than direct on Amoma but given that Amoma doesn't properly specify the room type I was worried Marriott would be pedantic and deny the claim even though I was booking the cheapest room type, as this happened to me last time I tried to make a LNF claim. I therefore also submitted a second claim for a slightly more expensive rate including breakfast that I found on Booking.com against a second booking including breakfast, which I was fairly sure would get approved instead as a back-up. What happened was, of course, the cheaper Amoma claim was approved almost straight away (so why was my last Amoma claim denied for that issue?), whereas the Booking.com claim was denied (because there was a cheaper rate available on the property's website which was only available to holders of Qatari ID). Yeah, sure.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I find Marriott responds far more quickly than SPG's BRG ever did (SPG seldom came back within 24 hours whereas Marriott almost always does). However, in addition to the issues discussed above I'm finding it basically impossible to predict when a claim will be successful or not with Marriott. It's not as bad as, say, IHG who basically just try to come up with any possible reason to deny the claim, but it still seems very random as to how the rules are applied each time.

Case in point - just did an LNF for the W Doha. Found a much cheaper rate than direct on Amoma but given that Amoma doesn't properly specify the room type I was worried Marriott would be pedantic and deny the claim even though I was booking the cheapest room type, as this happened to me last time I tried to make a LNF claim. I therefore also submitted a second claim for a slightly more expensive rate including breakfast that I found on Booking.com against a second booking including breakfast, which I was fairly sure would get approved instead as a back-up. What happened was, of course, the cheaper Amoma claim was approved almost straight away (so why was my last Amoma claim denied for that issue?), whereas the Booking.com claim was denied (because there was a cheaper rate available on the property's website which was only available to holders of Qatari ID). Yeah, sure.
Qatari ID rate is definitely an invalid reason as not publicly available to all.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
It was normal with SPG. The rate that is approved is is on their email to you and you can use that. I had booked a breakfast included rate at a Courtyard. When I checked in they said it wasnt included until I showed them the email and it was no problem.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by geminidreams
It was normal with SPG. The rate that is approved is is on their email to you and you can use that. I had booked a breakfast included rate at a Courtyard. When I checked in they said it wasnt included until I showed them the email and it was no problem.
that has been a long term recurring problem. It is not coded correctly with LNF/BRG and there is always a note with the rate rules that 'breakfast is included'. This week at the JW Marriott in Singapore there was no issue at all ... they had me down for breakfast. So it CAN work. But I have had the opposite experience where I had to produce the Email and in 1 case contact Marriott LNF via Email after check-in and they had called the hotel and fixed the problem by the next morning (Was the RC Vienna).
Anyway, w/ a BF included LNF/BRG rate it pays to always have a print-out or screen-shot which shows the BF.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Hotel Name: Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Arrival Date: 1 nights in March-2019
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Traditional King, No View
Marriott Brand Website Rate: $239 + tax & fee per night
Competing Rate: $179 + tax & fee per night
Actual Approved Rate: $134 + tax & fee per night
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I tried to file a claim for my last 2 nights of a stay (first 7 nights using TP) - BRG department denied me and treated my stay as 1 cash stay. It makes no sense - is it true?

The shot down the site and then denied my claim - then BRG readjusted my reservation to member's rate (which is not a fair comparison anyway).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nacho
I tried to file a claim for my last 2 nights of a stay (first 7 nights using TP) - BRG department denied me and treated my stay as 1 cash stay. It makes no sense - is it true?

The shot down the site and then denied my claim - then BRG readjusted my reservation to member's rate (which is not a fair comparison anyway).
They have always counted multiple reservations as 1 stay, but it is a stretch to do this for an award/paid combo claiming all is paid ... that is a strange interpretation of the rules.

The member rate thing has been for a while now and while I agree it is not fair, it is what they are comparing with these days.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by cfischer
They have always counted multiple reservations as 1 stay, but it is a stretch to do this for an award/paid combo claiming all is paid ... that is a strange interpretation of the rules.
Also, I discovered that your true arrival date at this hotel is February xx under confirmation number xxxxxxx. I did process your claim for the dates of February xx through
February xx. On both sites, Marriott.com and the comparison sites were not offering any rooms or rates for the dates of your entire stay.
This is just low. How on earth can one put a rate that's not in cash value (plus I made the reservation back in July 2018)?

To make things worse: the agent changed my rate without my consent/notifying me.

Last edited by nacho; Feb 11, 2019 at 5:18 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nacho

This is correct. I had the same thing happen to me but it was just 1 reward night in my case. Grossly unfair!

You can get around this by:

- booking your reward stay after BRG is approved (I know, not an option for you)
- booking from a different account
- booking at a different hotel
- booking at a non-Marriott hotel

Wait until you get a BRG with multiple nights at different prices and they only give you 25% off on certain nights.

Anyone who says Marriott LNF is better than SPG BRG needs to have their heads examined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.