FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1924217-marriott-bonvoy-events-program-between-aug-18-2018-end-2019-a.html)

AAir_head Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am

If as seems expected this ends up only netting 1 EQN per 20 actualized rooms for any events beyond the first, it's very little incentive to choose Marriott/SPG properties to hold small events (beyond the first, anyway).

I have participated in/hosted many more events with fewer than 20 people than events with 20 or more. As one who's been almost exclusively loyal to Marriott for 20+ years, I was very pleased to discover the Rewarding Events program as a way to maintain status (by choosing to host an off-site meeting with just myself and 1-5 others). I am perhaps not typical, but depending on how the program ends up this may be a big disincentive for me to choose one of their properties for any need at all since I'll end up as either LTG or LTP in the new program regardless and won't have elite requalification to drive the decision (I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years, but really have no record of how many consecutive years I've been Platinum).

bhrubin Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by AAir_head (Post 30090201)
If as seems expected this ends up only netting 1 EQN per 20 actualized rooms for any events beyond the first, it's very little incentive to choose Marriott/SPG properties to hold small events (beyond the first, anyway).

I have participated in/hosted many more events with fewer than 20 people than events with 20 or more. As one who's been almost exclusively loyal to Marriott for 20+ years, I was very pleased to discover the Rewarding Events program as a way to maintain status (by choosing to host an off-site meeting with just myself and 1-5 others). I am perhaps not typical, but depending on how the program ends up this may be a big disincentive for me to choose one of their properties for any need at all since I'll end up as either LTG or LTP in the new program regardless and won't have elite requalification to drive the decision (I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years, but really have no record of how many consecutive years I've been Platinum).

The reduction in event rewards is not insignificant--but it's still better than what is otherwise offered by:

World of Hyatt (you'd need to have 20 qualifying meetings or spend $100,000 with non-stay meetings to achieve Globalist status)

Hilton (no elite nights earning possible with meetings or groups)

IHG (no elite nights earning possible with meetings or groups)

CJKatl Aug 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by AAir_head (Post 30090201)
...since I'll end up as either LTG or LTP in the new program regardless and won't have elite requalification to drive the decision (I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years, but really have no record of how many consecutive years I've been Platinum).

You appear to have some misunderstanding...

I'm well over 1K nights and have been Gold/Platinum for all of the past 15+ years... This should make you LTPP in the new program. Even if you are not currently MR LTP (lacking 2mm LT points) which would qualify for LTPP immediately when the new program starts when the sweep is done in Jan '19 you will have the nights and years needed, since both MR LTG and LTP years count towards the ten needed for LTPP in the new program.

consecutive years... There is no requirement for consecutive years. You need ten years at the fifty or higher level but not ten consecutive years.

kaizen7 Aug 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30087109)
So there's basically two schools of thought as I've read the thread over again.

1) First (in members.marriott.com and the post-merger T&Cs upthread, post #28 ) means first, as in only the first meeting. Whether that means "First ever" or first per program year remains to be seen, as the language doesn't define it. Then all meetings, including every subsequent meeting (either ever or program year) can still earn points through related bookings - 1 EQN per 20 related room booking nights, up to 20 nights maximum.

2) The alternative proposed by @RogerD408 (and backed by some others) is that the first meeting language applies to the first meeting on a contract getting 10 nights and then also offering the 1 bonus EQN for 20 room related nights, up to 20 nights total per contact between the 10 EQNs for the meeting and another 10 for the room related night bookings.

I read that T&C as no.1 ... and for the first meeting, i'm guessing on first meeting of each year.

Old MR did prominently show the tier requirements in number of meetings as well (1 meeting for silver, 5 meetings for gold and plenty of meetings for plt and so on)
Since new program didnt even mention that in the tier requirements chart, I can only guess new program is not as generous with eqn for meeting

emag_eh7 Aug 16, 2018 6:00 pm

(I disagree with this thread being closed, but was directed here so I guess I'll post my question here.)

I booked 6 meetings, 2 each on Wed/Thu/Fri last week. Only 5 charges have posted on my card so far and no points or nights at all. Yesterday I reached out to my contact at the hotel and asked if they could send me a final bill and let me know when I could expect the points and nights to post to my account. My contact directed me to the events manager at the hotel, who has an automatic reply set up saying she won't be back until 8/20.

Should I just hang tight and hope I'll be able to fight for the nights I'm supposed to get post-8/18? Or should I push my contact (Sales Manager, according to her email signature) to use the GPT or something else?

bhrubin Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by emag_eh7 (Post 30091685)
(I disagree with this thread being closed, but was directed here so I guess I'll post my question here.)

I booked 6 meetings, 2 each on Wed/Thu/Fri last week. Only 5 charges have posted on my card so far and no points or nights at all. Yesterday I reached out to my contact at the hotel and asked if they could send me a final bill and let me know when I could expect the points and nights to post to my account. My contact directed me to the events manager at the hotel, who has an automatic reply set up saying she won't be back until 8/20.

Should I just hang tight and hope I'll be able to fight for the nights I'm supposed to get post-8/18? Or should I push my contact (Sales Manager, according to her email signature) to use the GPT or something else?

You booked and had the events BEFORE the new rules apply; you should have no issue with getting credit for 60 nights and the concomitant points based on the old rules.

However, be aware that events/meetings do not post nearly as quickly all the time as do regular room nights, even with SPG (which seems faster than Marriott based on reports in this Forum). So I would give it some time. Also, the changeover on Aug 18 inevitably is going to cause some chaos, so you can expect there to be delays and problems as a result. You just need to be patient--especially so since you booked your events so close to the changeover!

xar Aug 16, 2018 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30091791)
You booked and had the events BEFORE the new rules apply; you should have no issue with getting credit for 60 nights and the concomitant points based on the old rules.

However, be aware that events/meetings do not post nearly as quickly all the time as do regular room nights, even with SPG (which seems faster than Marriott based on reports in this Forum). So I would give it some time. Also, the changeover on Aug 18 inevitably is going to cause some chaos, so you can expect there to be delays and problems as a result. You just need to be patient--especially so since you booked your events so close to the changeover!

Given that you have booked & completed your meetings before 18th Aug 2018, i suggest you keep the contracts/documentations first and just hang tight while Marriott figures out the migration.
Good Luck!

xar Aug 17, 2018 5:44 am

Ok somehow all my nights finally posted so i went from Gold (3 days ago) to Plat. I guess this is somewhat a happy problem for me.
Initially i was hoping to cross the 75th night after the merge which will take me to platinum premier in the new program (and with it as someone suggested, the possibility to get Suite Night Awards)

See u guys after the merge! :)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...64d0d3dfc7.png

Jaenks Aug 17, 2018 10:18 am

Meeting on this week Wednesday, nights and points were on account today.

yerffej201 Aug 17, 2018 12:01 pm

oh my god, marriott will reveal the new terms when they do
all this arguing over vague T&C's don't really do anything

MasterGeek Aug 17, 2018 1:38 pm

create multiple accounts, do one meeting on each for 10 elite nights, merge accounts.

bhrubin Aug 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 30094817)
create multiple accounts, do one meeting on each for 10 elite nights, merge accounts.

I'm sure that would cause a red flag and cause all accounts to be flagged as being fraudulent--in which case you'd likely lose all credit anyway. I wouldn't recommend it.

MasterGeek Aug 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30094866)
I'm sure that would cause a red flag and cause all accounts to be flagged as being fraudulent--in which case you'd likely lose all credit anyway. I wouldn't recommend it.

Is it in your personal interest that access to elite level is harder for other people ?

bhrubin Aug 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 30094870)
Is it in your personal interest that access to elite level is harder for other people ?

No, of course not. But I certainly wouldn't want to encourage anyone to do something that I honestly believe could get themselves into trouble they hadn't anticipated!

jeanie Aug 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 30094870)

Marriott is making it harder to access elite levels, not FlyerTalk!