FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Events program between Aug 18, 2018 and end of 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1924217-marriott-bonvoy-events-program-between-aug-18-2018-end-2019-a.html)

phltraveler Aug 11, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by M.dA.R. (Post 30071485)

Good catch @phltraveler. Congrats.

I suspect you got it here: www.renaissance-minsk.by/rewards/terms.mi

The page has since been changed and the google cache of it is incomplete.

Good guess, incorrect though. Found it along with other interesting things on some part of Marriott.com:https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e020f5bf71.png

phltraveler Aug 11, 2018 10:04 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 30071486)
OK, so if you read it that SPG members are not mapped to LTPP but instead qualify under the new rules that could make sense, but we still are not sure if this is the final or a draft and if it is a draft, from when.

Given the source, if it's not the absolute final T&C, I would believe it is a hair's breadth away.

RogerD408 Aug 11, 2018 10:11 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30071288)

Thank you phltraveler. As I read this clause:
5.3.d. Elite Night Credit. Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.
The program will issue 10 MPG nights per event AND 1 MPG night per 20 guest rooms (with a limit of 400 rooms) per contract! So if you sign a contract for a five-day event with, say 20 rooms, then you are entitled to 11 night credit. It's funny how having all the facts can change one's opinion. But then this is FT, who needs facts?

phltraveler Aug 11, 2018 10:16 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30071564)
5.3.d. Elite Night Credit. Members who hold Qualifying Events at Participating Properties also receive ten (10) Elite Night Credits for their first Qualifying Event, and then earn one (1) Elite Night Credit for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract.
The program will issue 10 MPG nights per event AND 1 MPG night per 20 guest rooms (with a limit of 400 rooms) per contract! So if you sign a contract for a five-day event with, say 20 rooms, then you are entitled to 11 night credit. It's funny how having all the facts can change one's opinion. But then this is FT, who needs facts?

As I read it, and the other sections (like 4.2.a.iv) that apply to Rewarding Events, my interpretation is that

1) The first meeting (or event/group room booking) alone earns the 10 nights off the bat
2) Every meeting, whether the first or subsequent, is eligible to earn 1 elite night for every 20 related group room booking nights, up to a maximum of 20 elite nights ( 20 elite nights * 20 room nights required per elite night = 400 room nights related to the meeting/event)

However, others may interpret it differently, and the new T&Cs are around 25,000 words long so... encourage people to read it on their own as well.

RogerD408 Aug 11, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30071577)
As I read it, and the other sections (like 4.2.a.iv) that apply to Rewarding Events, my interpretation is that

1) The first meeting (or event/group room booking) alone earns the 10 nights off the bat
2) Every meeting, whether the first or subsequent, is eligible to earn 1 elite night for every 20 related group room booking nights, up to a maximum of 20 elite nights ( 20 elite nights * 20 room nights required per elite night = 400 room nights related to the meeting/event)

However, others may interpret it differently, and the new T&Cs are around 25,000 words long so... encourage people to read it on their own as well.

Don't stop reading, it does say per contract. We have already seen MPG staff interpret this differently, but then they did the same thing with Rollover Nights and it took a month or two to get that worked out.

M.dA.R. Aug 11, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30071577)

Precisely that. Plus, the event/meeting/group booking will also earn points, even if not eligible for nights credit.

bhrubin Aug 11, 2018 10:46 am

Confirmation bias is a real problem for way too many people. It rears its ugly head again here.

bhrubin Aug 11, 2018 11:50 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30071564)

Confirmation bias is a problem again here.

Yep, for your FIRST event such as you describe, you'd get 11 elite nights. But for second and beyond events such as you describe, you'd only get 1 elite night.

cruisr Aug 11, 2018 11:53 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30071840)

Yep, for your FIRST event such as you describe, you'd get 11 elite nights. But for second and beyond events such as you describe, you'd only get 1 elite night.

We will not know until Marriott tells us. Confirmation bias works both ways.

RogerD408 Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30071840)

Keep reading, it does say per contract and not lifetime, year, quarter, or MPG whim. They had the ability to put whatever they wanted and chose that phrase. A lot of things can be very different if you play CSR and stop when you feel you can say no. I see that in many places (hotels, airlines, and others) and have stood my ground until they read the entire passage when they surprisingly agree. I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out and either MPG will clarify the terms by removing the "per contract" phrase and replace it with something different.

bhrubin Aug 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30071861)
Keep reading, it does say per contract and not lifetime, year, quarter, or MPG whim. They had the ability to put whatever they wanted and chose that phrase. A lot of things can be very different if you play CSR and stop when you feel you can say no. I see that in many places (hotels, airlines, and others) and have stood my ground until they read the entire passage when they surprisingly agree. I guess we will just have to see how it shakes out and either MPG will clarify the terms by removing the "per contract" phrase and replace it with something different.

You seem to ignore the comma. Also, further spelled out in the later terms:

1. 4.2 Elite Membership Requirements
  2. 4.2.a. Only nights personally stayed by and individually billed to an Elite Member at Participating Properties are credited toward the Elite Member’s Elite membership achievement and renewal thereof. Pursuant to section 1.4.e. Accounts may be combined to achieve Elite membership.
  3. i. Pursuant to section 2.1.a., one Elite Night Credit will be awarded to the Elite Member room for each Qualifying Night stayed.
  4. ii. When staying at ExecuStay® locations, every three (3) Qualifying Nights stayed will entitle Members to one (1) Elite Night Credit toward Elite membership status. Elite membership benefits are not available at ExecuStay locations.
  5. iii. When staying at Marriott Executive Apartments®, every three (3) Qualifying Nights stayed will entitle Members to one (1) night toward Elite status. Elite benefits are not available at Marriott Executive Apartments locations.
  6. iv. When booking a qualifying group event or meeting with Rewarding Events, ten (10) Elite nights will be awarded to the Member for his/her first group, event or meeting, and thereafter, one (1) Elite Night Credit will be awarded for every twenty (20) rooms booked and actualized, up to a maximum of twenty (20) Elite Night Credits per contract. Points or Miles may be earned in addition to Elite Night Credits for Rewarding Events.

Your confirmation bias doesn't want to accept that the first quoted terms indicates THEN per contract. Your confirmation bias now is confronted again by THEREAFTER per contract. You want it to be per contract to get the 10 elite nights for each event, but it's abundantly clear that it's 10 elite nights ONLY for your FIRST contract, and then you earn only 1 elite night for every 20 rooms consumed THEREAFTER.

It's pretty obvious and straightforward. You can continue to argue the point, but I'm afraid that is entirely confirmation bias.

RogerD408 Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30071917)

Your confirmation bias doesn't want to accept that the first quoted terms indicates THEN per contract. Your confirmation bias now is confronted again by THEREAFTER per contract. You want it to be per contract to get the 10 elite nights for each event, but it's abundantly clear that it's 10 elite nights ONLY for your FIRST contract, and then you earn only 1 elite night for every 20 rooms consumed THEREAFTER.

It's pretty obvious and straightforward. You can continue to argue the point, but I'm afraid that is entirely confirmation bias.

We will just have to agree to disagree, which is perfectly fine. Confirmation bias can work both ways. But if I meant 10 nights only, it would say only and be two sentences with a very hard period to separate the benefits.

<disengaging>

GoPhils Aug 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30071917)

It’s definitely not obvious. Seems to be yet another case of Marriott using vague wording.

i think using the word “first” seems to imply “only” but because it doesn’t say only it’s not clear. I would interpret what’s before the “thereafter” as referring to the meeting as a whole, and what’s after the thereafter to be referring to the corresponding rooms.

phltraveler Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 30071992)
i think using the word “first” seems to imply “only” but because it doesn’t say only it’s not clear. I would interpret what’s before the “thereafter” as referring to the meeting as a whole, and what’s after the thereafter to be referring to the corresponding rooms.

I agree with you entirely on this. After the discussion in the thread, I can see how even the T&C can be read both ways, depending on your perspective.

I'm 99% sure given the elimination of rollover, the $3k spend/elite night from the new Chase card, and the addition of the SPG Pro style earn on 20 room booking nights = 1 elite night for planner, that Marriott is much, much more likely to have written that in the "only" sense for ten elite nights for first meeting, but we'll find out in a week or so.

kaizen7 Aug 11, 2018 1:48 pm

First meeting of the membership year? Or first meeting that the member organised?