Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
This program has always been hit-and-miss in my experience. There are certain properties, such as the Park Central in San Francisco, where I consistently had issues with MAGC points posting even back in the SPG days. Now that Marriott has devalued the program so much, I don’t even bother with it anymore and just accept the housekeeping.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Certain properties make it worthwhile. Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast in Australia gives a $15/day F&B credit for declining housekeeping! ^
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Every hotel I ever stay in I request no housekeeping, and even put the notice on the door to keep prying eyes away from my belongings. But, they still knock and bother me It's a pain. Or they leave a note saying they need to clean my room
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:28 pm

Location: Continual long-term travelling since 2016 (4 continents, 26 countries, ~80 cities)
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite, United Silver, Hertz Five Star, Etc.
The Le Méridien Piccadilly in London has so far been pretty good about at least leaving the Green Choice door tags...hopefully the points post without issue. The service in general however, leaves a lot do be desired.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ScrewTheAverage
The Le Méridien Piccadilly in London has so far been pretty good about at least leaving the Green Choice door tags...hopefully the points post without issue. The service in general however, leaves a lot do be desired.
And still says 500 star points...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
In the end this has become like so many other things post merger with Marriott, it is unreliable, doesn’t work half the time and no one cares to fix it.

At this stage it is not worth the token points for the aggravation of managing if it was done or not.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:28 am

Good morning. As a frequent business guest in the Marriott Resident Inn in Hollister, California, amassing 90 nights an assignment, the points accumulation by refusing housekeeping was simple: I would call the desk associate before going to sleep, or, simply inform the daytime concierge that I did not want the service and to please ensure my points were counted. 250 points a night for 90 stays mounts up fast! So, no problem.
No I am staying at another Marriott in Maryland as a private visit and the desk clerk did not know if Bonvoy still awarded points for refusing housekeeping. It is only a four night stay, but for an organization as large as Marriott who advertises this benefit as an environmental saving practice, someone has obviously dropped the ball. Now I know the pandemic may have affected all of this because the facility in Hollister had to discontinue much of their services including the complimentary breakfast, the use of the pool and exercise room, and daily room service, furloughing the room attendants to one per floor. Maybe curtailment of services is still in force? I shall have to email corporate and see if I can get an answer about this topic. Bruce Strickland
Old May 19, 2021, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bruce Michael Strickland
Good morning. As a frequent business guest in the Marriott Resident Inn in Hollister, California, amassing 90 nights an assignment, the points accumulation by refusing housekeeping was simple: I would call the desk associate before going to sleep, or, simply inform the daytime concierge that I did not want the service and to please ensure my points were counted. 250 points a night for 90 stays mounts up fast! So, no problem.
No I am staying at another Marriott in Maryland as a private visit and the desk clerk did not know if Bonvoy still awarded points for refusing housekeeping. It is only a four night stay, but for an organization as large as Marriott who advertises this benefit as an environmental saving practice, someone has obviously dropped the ball. Now I know the pandemic may have affected all of this because the facility in Hollister had to discontinue much of their services including the complimentary breakfast, the use of the pool and exercise room, and daily room service, furloughing the room attendants to one per floor. Maybe curtailment of services is still in force? I shall have to email corporate and see if I can get an answer about this topic. Bruce Strickland
Let us know what you find out. My first post-pandemic multi-day Marriott stays are coming up in June. I don't care much about the 250 points but I'm interested in the restoral of services. Stays are in the U.S. in states that no longer have any active coronavirus executive orders that affect hotel services. The hotels are allowed to provide services...but will they?

This benefit was always hit-and-miss in the Marriott system. Some properties, like the one you had in California, apparently did it well. Others did not. I valued it much more at Starwood, where it was 500 SPG per night - the equivalent of 1,500 Bonvoy points. I never had issues with it posting. That plus the Plat amenity points made simple 2-3 night Starwood stays pretty rewarding.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:53 am

Back in the SPG days and while on multi week assignments, I had to draw out calendars to when I put the MAGC tag on the outside every 3 nights. Loved collecting the vouchers under the doors everyday and I fanned out like 15 of them and take a picture before turning it in at checkout. Good times.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:39 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’ve stayed at 15+ properties in the US since last summer, and not a single one offered daily housekeeping, so I have to think that MAGC is dead (or on semi permanent hiatus) now
sethMCOflyer and ewoo like this.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:42 pm

I too have stayed probably 100 nights in the last year and I don't even remember the last time daily housekeeping was offered (and it definitely wasn't in the United States).

The pandemic is no longer an issue in many markets. It's getting people back to work and immigrants (legal and otherwise) back into the country.

The people willing to work 40 hours a week cleaning rooms rather than work 0 hours a week while earning the same amount are very few and far between.
DJ_Iceman, jaejaez, mradey and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by dw
I’ve stayed at 15+ properties in the US since last summer, and not a single one offered daily housekeeping, so I have to think that MAGC is dead (or on semi permanent hiatus) now
I found one Marriott-affiliated property that offered it last summer. It was down in Kissimmee. It was actually about the fifth hotel I called...I had about a 4-5 day stay to book and the first 3-4 hotels basically wouldn't have done any housekeeping during it (I think one was "fourth night" and another was "sixth night").

I've gotten regular housekeeping at one other hotel...a Quality Inn in Palatka (which AFAICT simply never laid folks off...they apparently never even stopped doing the breakfast buffet since while they were supposed to, Corporate basically forgot about them and never sorted them out on any replacement plan). Having a buffet breakfast last July was surreal.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ewoo
The people willing to work 40 hours a week cleaning rooms rather than work 0 hours a week while earning the same amount are very few and far between.
I presume that all the hotels thought they could lay everyone off and have them come right back when travel picked back up. Lots of people used their time away to move onto different jobs and industries altogether. If I was in that situation I would certainly be working towards never returning to the industry that sees me as completely disposable.

I’m expecting hotels to have a incredibly hard time ramping their staffing levels back up, even after the elevated unemployment benefits end. They’re going to have to increase pay and benefits to get anywhere.
dw, slowly, falcon9xr and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I presume that all the hotels thought they could lay everyone off and have them come right back when travel picked back up. Lots of people used their time away to move onto different jobs and industries altogether.
I don't think any businesses who laid off people or furloughed employees had rose colored glasses on that they would automatically return as if nothing had happened.

What do you do - keep people on payroll and give them nothing to do and accelerate bankruptcy - or aggressively trim costs and deal with demand later. Quite frankly, this falls in the nice problem to have for many industries.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 10:19 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Sadly I can see daily housekeeping not returning at many properties. Covid hygiene theater is probably the best thing that has happened to many properties with respect to housekeeping-- they were already trying to shave costs off housekeeping by encouraging people to skip housekeeping during the stay-- now it's mandatory and they don't even have to pay out points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.