Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My faith in Marriott merge is restored. ^
CXYYZ and puntamita like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
They won ! Congratulation. And kudos to Marriott...
Old May 9, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm disappointed. [...] I lost all sympathy [...] I also consider it unfair and offensive [...] It's also arguably unfairly short notice
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

This move makes LTPP marginally less exclusive, sure, but Marriott has clearly done the analysis and decided that making a few more LTPPs was worth the warm feelings it would generate.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I'm disappointed. When everyone is LTPP, no one is LTPP. Now the combined program needs to create a lifetime grandfathered Ambassador status to ensure meaningful benefits (but I know it will never happen). Marriott also caved and eliminated their 2MM points requirement for LTP early, thereby creating a bunch of additional LTPPs from the MR side. BTW, I lost all sympathy for SPG LTPs (of which I am one) when folks here started the two threads about how MR LTPs shouldn't get LTPP. I also consider it unfair and offensive that SPG Plat100s get Ambassadors in the combined program without the $20,000 spend requirement, although personally I should qualify with both nights and revenue before August.

It's also arguably unfairly short notice for SPG LTPs who could have made it to 750 nights if they had known, but this seems similar to the reaction some of us had when SPG introduced the different levels of Plat without any warning. OTOH, there's more than enough time to get from 500 to 750 lifetime SPG nights by the end of the year. In fact, with nights counting for three rooms, it should be easy. On the MR side, with only one room credit per night, we have 365 - 130 (approximate days to May 9th) = 235, so someone cannot go from 500 to 750 nights using hotel stays alone.
Easier and probably cheaper than booking 3 rooms is just doing meetings to get over the 750 threshold, correct? Assuming nights will be combined from both programs, that's going to be the easiest method for folks in both programs to reach the 750 night milestone.
X-ON and UA-NYC like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Great news and congrats to all SPG Lifetime Plats. This show that Marriott listens and acts accordingly.

Happy to be a loyal un-lifetime member. 2nd year as plat and 8 long years left. Not sure I can afford to keep up (100% private travels) but will still be loyal to the program.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I don't think 3 is accurate. They do not appear to be allowing you combine all Marriott and SPG nights prior to 12/31/18. Rather you will have to 750 nights in the SPG program. The one exception seems to be that they will count 2018 Marriott nights towards SPG lifetime. At least that's how I read it.
The sentence I highlighted in my previous post says lifetime activity will be combined when programs merge. It does not specify a time limitation.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I don't think 3 is accurate. They do not appear to be allowing you combine all Marriott and SPG nights prior to 12/31/18. Rather you will have to 750 nights in the SPG program. The one exception seems to be that they will count 2018 Marriott nights towards SPG lifetime. At least that's how I read it.
Disagree, as it appears one certainly can combine lifetime MR/SPG nights to achieve the >750 night combined threshold needed to earn LTPP. From the FAQs page...

1. "If you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in SPG or Rewards, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program. In addition, when you combine SPG and Rewards accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program."

So the new combined program starts August 1, but then the following FAQ was added to the Marriott website today, which further clarifies.

https://members.marriott.com/faq/#if...-level-in-2018

2. "IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?
Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019."

So given that accounts will be combined on August 1, but the wording says members have until December 31 to earn LTPP, the only way this could be is if combined historical elite nights and platinum years are permitted. After all, we will have only one combined account starting August 1. There will not be any such thing as 'SPG nights' or 'MR nights.'

Scenario 3 in the previous post certainly should qualify for grandfathered LTPP based on what was announced today.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CLEguy
The sentence I highlighted in my previous post says lifetime activity will be combined when programs merge. It does not specify a time limitation.
Based on my reading of the FAQ, to have the the LTPP status recognized prior to 12/31/18, you'll need to hit 750 nights in SPG only. However, on 12/31/18, if you have a combined 750+ nights from Marriott and SPG, you'll be upgraded to LTPP on 1/1/19. It does not appear that they'll grant LTPP using combined nights earlier than that.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
The quote on the site seems to indicate that combined activity does count toward the lifetime status:

Emphasis added.

This implies a few things:
  1. Legacy MR members who earn Lifetime Platinum status in the MR program on or prior to 7/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
  2. Legacy SPG members who have 750 nights and 10 years platinum in the SPG program on or prior to 12/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
  3. Combined MR/SPG members who have 750 nights and 10 years platinum in the combined program on or prior to 12/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new LTPP status.
Is this reading accurate?
Yes # 3 seems to be correct which is some really good news which I have been expecting from Marriott. Soon someone will post 100% confirmation.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So right now I have the following:

- 740 lifetime Marriott nights.
- 140 lifetime Starwood nights.
- 1.75 million lifetime Marriott points.
- Probably around 500,000 lifetime Starwood points, majority from credit card.
- About 7 years (?) of Marriott Platinum, plus another 10+ as Marriott Gold
- Three or four years of SPG Platinum, plus another 10+ as Starwood Gold

Am I LTPP right now? Or do I need to reach 2MM Marriott to be safe?

Crossing 750 Marriott by July will happen naturally with planned stays. Crossing 2MM would take a little cajoling of points, transfers through my wife, etc. But would be doable...
Old May 9, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
BTW, I lost all sympathy for SPG LTPs (of which I am one) when folks here started the two threads about how MR LTPs shouldn't get LTPP. I also consider it unfair and offensive that SPG Plat100s get Ambassadors in the combined program without the $20,000 spend requirement, although personally I should qualify with both nights and revenue before August.
Fact check - SPG Plat100s can get ONE more year of Ambassador - if Marriott had announced these changes Jan 1, I would have agreed with you the final year of qualifying under legacy rules was not fair, but they announced it 1/3 of the way through the year.

Yes, I started that thread. You seem to again be missing the point of my thread: 1) it was stupid to exclude SPG LT Plats who likely spent well over 750 nights (or into the four figures) or generated a HELL of a lot more points than 2MM. and that 2) the NewPlat benefits were already as good if not better than what MR existing LT Plats had, and that "bumping up" to LTPP was unnecessary.

OTOH, there's more than enough time to get from 500 to 750 lifetime SPG nights by the end of the year. In fact, with nights counting for three rooms, it should be easy. On the MR side, with only one room credit per night, we have 365 - 130 (approximate days to May 9th) = 235, so someone cannot go from 500 to 750 nights using hotel stays alone.
You're joking, right? So easy to spend 3x for the 3x number of rooms, which isn't likely for business travelers, and also not likely for leisure ones. And this is cash out of wallet. Sooooo easy to go from 500 to 750 nights in 7 months.

OTOH anyone on the Marriott side can manufacture nights via credit card spend and meeting rooms fairly easily, with no additional time on the road.

Reality check...
Old May 9, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
So right now I have the following:

- 740 lifetime Marriott nights.
- 140 lifetime Starwood nights.
- 1.75 million lifetime Marriott points.
- Probably around 500,000 lifetime Starwood points, majority from credit card.
- About 7 years (?) of Marriott Platinum, plus another 10+ as Marriott Gold
- Three or four years of SPG Platinum, plus another 10+ as Starwood Gold

Am I LTPP right now? Or do I need to reach 2MM Marriott to be safe?

Crossing 750 Marriott by July will happen naturally with planned stays. Crossing 2MM would take a little cajoling of points, transfers through my wife, etc. But would be doable...
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
It’s important to note that this new qualification method is still based on activity with a single program, though it is available through the end of 2018. As a result, if you’re closing in on one or both of these criteria (750 nights and 10 years of Platinum status) in either Marriott or SPG, it behooves you to go out of your way to reach them by the end of the year and lock up Lifetime Platinum Premier status before the door slams shut.
It looks like you need to show "lifetime" dedication to at least one program, and not as a combination of both to hit the required LTPP threshold.

Although I'm still digesting this news (checking to see if it's April 1!) it seems that they have decided to reward LTPP to those 750 night LTPs at MR or SPG (but not combined)... seemingly akin to rewarding lifetime loyalty to at least one of the programs.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I get a bit of masochistic pride knowing I will now be one of the biggest "lifetime losers", as going into 2019 I will have ~1,050 nights combined (~850 SPG), an equivalent conversion of about 6MM Marriott points...and 9 years of SPG Plat status

Can anyone top that?
+1 to that getting royally screwed here ... anyway my travelling days in work are hopefully over so I guess I just revert back to the independent luxury hotel / 4 seasons /small chain for sure after getting my LT Gold benefits cut ... No more SPG/Marriott incentive I am out ... Which I assume MAR 100% has taken into account ...I am in a small minority
Old May 9, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It looks like you need to show "lifetime" dedication to at least one program, and not as a combination of both to hit the required LTPP threshold.

Although I'm still digesting this news (checking to see if it's April 1!) it seems that they have decided to reward LTPP to those 750 night LTPs at MR or SPG (but not combined)... seemingly akin to rewarding lifetime loyalty to at least one of the programs.
Incorrect - 750 nights MR+SPG combined plus 10 years platinum will get you LTPP in 2019 as an one-time exception. See the FAQ I posted upstream.
jrothenb likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Great Job Marriott!!!! Will now go out of my way to stay in the combined program. Was starting to question my loyalty. I wonder if the SPG Plat with over 750 nights and 10 years before August 1st will be grandfathered in starting August 1st vs. eoy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.