Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Time for the members like me to start crying. I am SPG LTP, with a total of around 650 nights, and about 30 more to come this year.
I want LTPE too!!!!!

( insert emoji here - crying. self-entitled,sarcastic.... your choice)
hey some have said it is super easy to just rack up endless SPG nights since you can, you know, just book three at a time for triple credit. Cheap and easy right?
Old May 9, 2018, 5:07 pm

You and I are in the same boat. Lifetime Platinum with 660 nights. What to do? Is Lifetime Platinum Premiere only in the name? Is it worth chasing 90 nights this year just for an additional 'PREMIERE' word in the name? Last I stayed in St Regis KL, Front Desk couldn't even see I am a Plat Ambassador.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in perks between LTPP and LTP? Is it only the additional 25% bonus points (50% for P and 75% for PP?)

Originally Posted by yeunganson
I am in the mid 600 range. I am also thinking if I should do a mattress run. It's kind of expensive doing one for 100 nights... Wished that they didn't do a mid-year switch. An extra year would really ease things for me.

Last edited by broadwayboy; May 9, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CLEguy
This is exactly counter to the language of the public materials. I would certainly like the additional clarity.
So would I, on whether individual program totals can be combined for the LTPP status.

I have 611 MR nights and 510 SPG nights, plus at least 5 years MR Plat and 9 years SPG Plat. I qualify for LT Plat under the new combined program (600 nights + 10 years Plat), but would qualify for LT Plat Premiere due to the high number of nights. IF that's a legit way to qualify under this one-time option.

Will be watching this thread and the wiki carefully.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

hey some have said it is super easy to just rack up endless SPG nights since you can, you know, just book three at a time for triple credit. Cheap and easy right?
I think paying for 100 room/nights, even at $90/each for $9000 is nuts.
Better to spend that money for paid upgrades.You know that any " lifetime" status is only good for 4-5 years anyway.
Program devaluation, mergers, bankruptcies....
Old May 9, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Don't forget that Starpoint reward night redemptions and C&P count, so not necessarily pay X nights at $Y.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Time for the members like me to start crying. I am SPG LTP, with a total of around 650 nights, and about 30 more to come this year.
I want LTPE too!!!!!

( insert emoji here - crying. self-entitled,sarcastic.... your choice)
Time for an epic mattress run
Old May 9, 2018, 5:33 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
You and I are in the same boat. Lifetime Platinum with 660 nights. What to do? Is Lifetime Platinum Premiere only in the name? Is it worth chasing 90 nights this year just for an additional 'PREMIERE' word in the name? Last I stayed in St Regis KL, Front Desk couldn't even see I am a Plat Ambassador.

Does anyone know if there is difference in perks between LTPP and LTP other than the name?
It would be a very expensive mattress run. Even at $100/night, that's $10000 (after taxes) for a hundred nights. Under the current conditions, it seems Platinum Premier VS just Platinum is in name only with 25% bonus points. I read through some of the threads at Marriott on their dash to 2 million points to see why they want to make it (outside of ego). The only possible suggestion that came out of the thread was Marriott will "ENHANCE" the Platinum Elite benefit in a few years to further reward their most elite customers. This is assuming they don't put "qualification" threshold onto these enhancements (eg need to stay 75 nights to get the Suite Night Awards - even if you are Lifetime member - they do that now already).

But there is a reverse risk of devaluation that may happen. Imagine 4/5 years later, they open Platinum Premier Lifetime to those reaching 1000 nights and 15 year Platinum. OR they do "enhance" the Platinum Premier tier but only if one meets the 75 night threshold.

So us in the 620-720 range is facing a gamble. Throw in the $3000 -13000+ and have faith that new benefits and enhancements are coming. Current difference if stay constant is a complete money loser (the 25% point bonus will not justify the thousands spend). The ego boost is probably good for a few years (and then it just fades - like how my excitement going into Airline lounges fade through the years) and the ambassador service is good for a year (or two years if lucky). Finally the upgrades to suites. In the most sought after hotels, the knife fight over suite upgrades of Plat vs Plat Premier - the guy with the Suite Night Award is going to win followed by the non-lifetime Premier Elite with a competent Ambassador (without the use of SNA) - neither of those Lifetime status provides.

After thinking this the whole morning, I looked at other programs and what happened to them. AMEX Centurion keep going through cut backs (compared to first started). Frequent Flyer programs of airlines generally got less generous compared to a decade ago. Oh remember those epic mileage runs and easy airline system-wide upgrades when we started 10 year ago (sob sob).. We only "win" (as in get a decent bang of the money spent) if solid, tangible enhancements happen in the future that includes Lifetime Tiers and Annual re qualifying tiers. We lose if the program stay constant. We lost the most if devaluation happens and Marriott eventually open the tier to everyone who qualifies.

So my analysis says it's better bet to keep the money in our pockets and bet on a future devaluation that would open the tier to all members.

Last edited by yeunganson; May 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by abk
It is nice to see that Marriott not only listened but responded in a positive and timely manner.
The heck they did. what sense does it make to remain forever loyal (thats what they want, isnt it) when there will be members with lifetime status that you can never earn? Why should I give marriot more nights than lifetimes for a lower tier of status?

this is great if you were ONLY one year away. if you were 2 or more years away then you just got shafted. if they are going to have a status then it should be able to be earned by all. be it grandfathered, one more year or 5 years from now.

I'll re-qualify for platinum 50 next week. I'm seriously thinking about moving to another program now.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:46 pm

Love your post!
I have decided to forgo the pursuit of an additional "Premiere" on my Lifetime status. It's too much work and is simply not worth it. Lifetime members don't even get the annual SNA anway - they're earned only by staying 50/75 nights - so LT status benefits the most when one has less than 50 nights annual stay. I don't need to spend "extra" USD10K just to satisfy my ego.

It's rather ironic - now that I am a LTP, I pay more attention to other brands. There are lots of gems out there outside the SPG (and Marriott) properties.

Originally Posted by yeunganson
It would be a very expensive mattress run. Even at $100/night, that's $10000 (after taxes) for a hundred nights. Under the current conditions, it seems Platinum Premier VS just Platinum is in name only with 25% bonus points. I read through some of the threads at Marriott on their dash to 2 million points to see why they want to make it (outside of ego). The only possible suggestion that came out of the thread was Marriott will "ENHANCE" the Platinum Elite benefit in a few years to further reward their most elite customers. This is assuming they don't put "qualification" threshold onto these enhancements (eg need to stay 75 nights to get the Suite Night Awards - even if you are Lifetime member - they do that now already).

But there is a reverse risk of devaluation that may happen. Imagine 4/5 years later, they open Platinum Premier Lifetime to those reaching 1000 nights and 15 year Platinum. OR they do "enhance" the Platinum Premier tier but only if one meets the 75 night threshold.

So us in the 620-720 range is facing a gamble. Throw in the $3000 -13000+ and have faith that new benefits and enhancements are coming. Current difference if stay constant is a complete money loser (the 25% point bonus will not justify the thousands spend). The ego boost is probably good for a few years (and then it just fades - like how my excitement going into Airline lounges fade through the years) and the ambassador service is good for a year (or two years if lucky).

After thinking this the whole morning, I looked at other programs and what happened to them. AMEX Centurion keep going through cut backs (compared to first started). Frequent Flyer programs of airlines generally got less generous compared to a decade ago. Oh remember those epic mileage runs and easy airline system-wide upgrades when we started 10 year ago (sob sob).. We only "win" (as in get a decent bang of the money spent) if solid, tangible enhancements happen in the future that includes Lifetime Tiers and Annual re qualifying tiers. We lose if the program stay constant. We lost the most if devaluation happens and Marriott eventually open the tier to everyone who qualifies.

So my analysis says it's better bet to keep the money in our pockets and bet on a future devaluation that would open the tier to all members.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:57 pm

Can I clarify?

if have 10 years or more platinum in Marriott OR 10 years or more SPG. PLUS 750 stays in EITHER Marriott or SPG (providing the total 750 or more) does that qualify you for LTPP?

or does it have to be 10 years SPG plus 750 SPG nights only?

(the wiki says that but some posts and blogs say cant be combined but they may mean can add years , or points?)
Old May 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by lallied
Can I clarify?

if have 10 years or more platinum in Marriott OR 10 years or more SPG. PLUS 750 stays in EITHER Marriott or SPG (providing the total 750 or more) does that qualify you for LTPP?

or does it have to be 10 years SPG plus 750 SPG nights only?

(the wiki says that but some posts and blogs say cant be combined but they may mean can add years , or points?)
That is the question everyone is waiting for 100% confirmation on.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:14 pm

If first year of SPG plat was earned in 2010, and then earned every year since then, will the 9th year earned in 2018 count towards LTPP?

i.e.

2010 - year 1
2011 - year 2
2012 - year 3
2013 - year 4
2014 - year 5
2015 - year 6
2016 - year 7
2017 - year 8
2018 - year 9 (but since the program ends 12/31, you never start that 9th year)

wondering because 9 SPG plat years + 1 MR plat year (plus 750+ nights) would seem to qualify for the new LTPP requirements.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mk89103
If first year of SPG plat was earned in 2010, and then earned every year since then, will the 9th year earned in 2018 count towards LTPP?

i.e.

2010 - year 1
2011 - year 2
2012 - year 3
2013 - year 4
2014 - year 5
2015 - year 6
2016 - year 7
2017 - year 8
2018 - year 9 (but since the program ends 12/31, you never start that 9th year)

wondering because 9 SPG plat years + 1 MR plat year (plus 750+ nights) would seem to qualify for the new LTPP requirements.
Yes - your situation is literally me. I started my Starwood stays in 2010. This year is my 9th year qualifying for Plat. I will do MR Plat in the back half of this year to get to 10 total Plat years.

But i have over 750 SPG nights - it is not yet clear as everyone has noted if you have to COMBINE SPG/MR nights to get to 750 if that counts.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yes - your situation is literally me. I started my Starwood stays in 2010. This year is my 9th year qualifying for Plat. I will do MR Plat in the back half of this year to get to 10 total Plat years.

But i have over 750 SPG nights - it is not yet clear as everyone has noted if you have to COMBINE SPG/MR nights to get to 750 if that counts.
If the language is "years qualifying" then you'd seem to be in the clear. If it's "years actually as" or similar then it could be ambiguous.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mk89103
If the language is "years qualifying" then you'd seem to be in the clear. If it's "years actually as" or similar then it could be ambiguous.
Not sure where the ambiguity is? I will re-qual for SPG Plat in July, that's 9 Plat years. I will get MR Plat by the end of the year (assuming 75 nights, but waiting to hear if it 50, though I doubt it). My Ambassador confirmed that will get me to LTPP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.